Fasting for slim folks

(Heidi ) #1

Hello All,

I’d like to start fasting for the health benefits. I’m quite slim. Does anyone have information/ experience on fasting for slim folks?

Thanks!

I agree! Would love more info or links to previous threads on beginning fasting. Most seem to be pretty experienced :slight_smile:

(G. Andrew Duthie) #3

Depends on your definition of slim, as well as what your goals are for fasting.

Fasting may be harder for those with less body fat. @richard has discussed this here:

And there’s a thread about that post here:

Short version… Slim people may not be able to supply their entire metabolic needs using their own body fat alone, so it may be necessary to supplement fat to make up the difference.

There isn’t really any good current science in this, however, so much of what you’ll get is extrapolation from what little we have, plus people’s n=1 experiences.

For example, I find fasting difficult if I don’t add fat. Whether that is physiological or psychological, I can tell you.

(Nicole Sawchuk) #4

When I started fasting almost 9 months ago, I was 30 lbs overweight. Now I am probably at my goal weight and lean. I used to be able to fast for 3 days with no issues and with some effort (sometimes a cup a bone broth), I could do 5 days. Now its a struggle to do 48 hours. I just feel like I don’t have the fat stores to fast like I used to. My blood glucose levels are nice and low.

I loved EF fasting because of my job and the fact I travel a lot and I have a family with little kids at home. It was easier to just fast through the work week. But I am listening to my body and now just do OMAD and my body seems happy for the time being. With that said, I don’t exercise regularly (maybe once a week) so if you are a gym rat and lean, it could prove more difficult. I have tried adding fat to my fasting days, and for me it just seemed to stoke my hunger further. But those days I did exercise fasted (with added fat), I had amazing energy!

The hard part now is ensuring I get adequate nutrients in that one meal a day!

In conclusion, I think it is possible to fast if you are lean, but it may take some tweaking to figure out what works for you.

(Heidi ) #5

Thanks for all the feedback. That’s super helpful.

I’m 5’10, 140 lbs, lean and muscular. I’ve been experimenting with Intermittent fasting and eating a high fat/ low carb when I am eating. So far (10 days) I haven’t felt very well (dizzy, brain fog, hard to concentrate, low blood sugar symptoms). As soon as I eat I feel better.

I’m hoping my body gets used to it and I can graduate to water fasts for several days at a time.

Any tips you have on keeping yourself feeling balanced when starting a fast are greatly appreciated!

Thanks again for all the response. What an awesome community

(Nicole Sawchuk) #6

Your dizziness, brain fog etc leads me to believe you are definitely not getting enough salt/electrolytes. At first I was in denial that I was getting enough salt, magnesium etc. I could not believe I needed more! But people kept challenging me that I wasn’t, so I began measuring out my salt intake to prove them wrong. I took 1/4 tsp of salt every 2 hours and I committed to doing that for 2 weeks all the while I increased my magnesium intake. Those symptoms went away. I still take that salt religiously. Its annoying but it did make a difference. Also ensure you are getting enough calories/nutrients when you do eat. What you eat is so important!

Starting out, use homemade bone broth as a crutch! You will eventually wean yourself off of it. Fasting is like exercise. It gets better with more practice. Just don’t forget to listen to your body. It took my body awhile to get used to the lower BG levels. Some days I get low BG symptoms at higher readings and yet other times my BG is super low and I feel great.

Hope that helps. I know other people will share even better advice.

Thanks for sharing your salt intake, how much do your weigh and how active are you?

I’m 6’4” 100kg/220lbs which is about 31%bf, sedentary - looking for a good baseline. Your salt intake is greater than mine at the moment.

(Nicole Sawchuk) #8

Keigan - I am 144 lbs at 5’9". My goal is 2-1/4 tsp of salt per day give or take a 1/4 tsp when I am fasting or only eating OMAD. I don’t count what I sprinkle on my food. If I workout I add another 1/2 tsp to my daily intake. 1/4 tsp before the workout and 1/8 tsp mixed in my water as I workout and another 1/8 tsp after. I sweat a lot when I do workout (I only workout when time permits it), and I will get exercise induced migraines if I don’t keep my electrolytes up during a workout. Since doing this, I find I don’t get as stiff or sore after a workout - which is pretty good considering how erratic my workout schedule is.

If I take too much salt - I get nauseated so you have to play around with what works for you. Some days I take less salt and other days I seem to need more. I was shocked I needed so much salt especially since I am not a “salt” person and have never craved salty foods. But this is what works for me. Had my lab work done in October and despite all that salt, my sodium levels were within range.

I’d recommend reading the book the “Salt Fix”.

(Tim W) #9

I’m a “lean person who fasts”. 5’11" 165 (or so), 15% or less BF, very active, 25-40 miles of running a week etc…

I’d ask you this, why do you want to fast? What is the goal/purpose/why? (not being judgmental here, please don’t go into defensive mode…)

Your “why” would characterize the “how”. For example, if you want to fast for religious purposes I’d suggest 2-3 days of HEAVY feeding with more calories than you can count, then start a fast of the desire duration (assuming you plan to water/black coffee fast only?).

If you are striving for autophagy etc, it MAY be that you can achieve the same results with a little bit of fat in your diet each day, think 2 avocados and maybe a fat-bomb coffee each day. This protocol is MUCH easier for those with low fat stores.

Either way, it’s tough on those with low stores, you’ll “hit the wall” sooner than someone with more BF stores but, you’ll learn what’s really “the wall” and what’s just hunger/routine/low sodium. Having pushed this protocol to the limit I can tell you, EF is doable and Jason Fung/others argue that as long as your BF% is above 4-6% or so, you’ll still have plenty of “fuel” available from the fat stores.

The caveat is that it seems to be HELL to get to those body fat stores. I have not figured out the timing yet but I can tell you I’ve woken up feeling like death (fasted for 3 or 4 days) but I have a keto-aide and maybe even go for a light jog or work in the yard and, within 30 minutes or so, I feel good enough to do anything. The “process” of accessing those stores seems to be slow and, the lower you are, the more “difficult”? I’m sure there’s a metabolic explanation for why it’s harder at times, probably has to do with the body really “fighting” to save those last stores for the purpose of survival.

Some signs that I’ve pushed EF too far, low energy for days, low libido, depression, etc. I think it’s mostly the lack of cholesterol that pushes me that direction, just passing along in case you see the same thing.

Also, get ready to be cold…

VERY good point, whenever doing an EF and I start feeling like crap, it’s almost always a sodium/electrolyte issue. You HAVE to stay ahead of it, like taking meds, you get ahead of the pain and stay ahead, once you get into the pain zone, it’s harder to recover, especially when in a low energy state like EF.

Good luck to you! Did I mention the cold?

Edit, Fung’s “Guide to fasting” is great to have on hand, the wife and I keep it close by to look up symptoms etc. when fasting, it’s good to be able to look up something and realize it’s normal or what to do in response.

(Nicole Sawchuk) #10

Not sure why it has taken so long to get back to you but thanks for the info! To answer your question. I want to continue fasting in order to optimize my blood glucose and to lose that last little bit of weight. For the last two months though I didn’t push it. In January, I started exercising (weights) and suddenly the weight is creeping up. I will admit my measurements have stayed stagnant so that weight gain shouldn’t be too concerning. But I just can’t lose weight on keto alone unless I fast! Final and most important reason - I loved how I felt when I EF! My life is busy and hectic and I love not eating during the week. I think now that I have approached the year, I am really fearing the “re-gain” that has typically happened with other diets. In the month of March I would like to do a 3 day fast and maybe switch up my OMAD a day to 36 hour fasts but on my eating days force myself to eat twice a day. Problem with eating twice a day - I feel like I get even less food in. Does that make sense?

I do have Fung’s books and have devoured them!

(Beth) #11

Hi there! I think it is super helpful to read the link about why fasting is easier for some people. Since you are so lean, you don’t want to inadvertently reduce your base metabolic rate, especially doing EF. I could be wrong about this but it just makes sense that if you can’t access your entire fat stores, you won’t be able to get your BMR energy from fat and could dip into lean mass. I agree with the idea of eating some fat on fasting days to bridge the gap. I’m close to my goal weight, I weigh 124 and am 5’1", and exercise regularly. I find it a lot harder to EF now. I am taking that as a hint from my body. So now I’m following Megan Ramos advice on changing it up. Trying to eat above BMR on a lot of days to keep that BMR nice and high, and then OMAD a couple days a week with an occasional 36 in hopes of autophagy. I seem to be losing very slowly doing this. Definitely NOT gaining anything but good health. Good luck!