Fasting for blood work: No biggie thanks to keto

(Lisa) #1

I have my physical and bloodwork late this afternoon, so I’m fasting all day. I’ll take along a snack for afterward (probably homemade almond flour crackers and cheese) since it’s a little longer than my normal 16/8+, but I’d be fine without it. Thanks, keto!

(Susan) #2

That is great, Lisa =). I haven’t had to do any required fasting for medical reasons yet; but I know now that I could easily do it too, due to Keto! Another NSV for us Ketonians!!

(Lisa) #3

Keto for the win! :raised_hands:

I believe it really is a victory for me, because I’ve always tended to have blood sugar issues. I was vegetarian for decades and vegan for several years, and I could not go more than an hour or two without eating. I’d be shaky, irritable, and just basically miserable and unpleasant to be around. I’ve never been diagnosed diabetic, but my blood sugar has often been in pre-diabetic range, and many of my relatives are diabetic… so I feel like I’m dodging a bullet by having found keto.

(Susan) #4

It certainly sounds like it when you have so much family history of it. I am adopted so that really is annoying for me not having medical history.

(Lisa) #5

Sometimes I think maybe it’s better not to know, at least the things we can’t do much about. My paternal grandmother died of Alzheimer’s, so I worry about that for my dad as well as me and my sister. I know from 23AndMe that both my dad and I have the genes for it. Another reason to stick with keto!

(Susan) #6

My 5 children would like to know; especially now that they themselves are having children. My kids are 18,21,25(girls) and 23 and 27(boys). I have two grandchildren -one from my eldest that is married and has a son that was 2 in Jan and one from my youngest, who was 15 and is now 18 (her daughter is 3) and lives with us too.

(Marianne) #7

I used to hate to fast before blood work! It was hard to make it from dinner to bedtime without eating something. You’re right; I’ve done it since. and it is a piece of cake.

(Lisa) #8

Both my doctor and nurse seemed impressed by my ability to fast for that long. I was thinking, that’s nothing! My hubby has been doing alternate day fasting for years, and I know there are MANY people here who do extended fasting. So far I haven’t been able to manage more than about 36 hours. Of course, the nurse (who appears to be in her late 20s) also noted that she could NEVER give up carbs. :roll_eyes:

(Susan) #9

Does your hubby do Keto as well? The longest Fast I have done so far on Keto is 74 hours. I do 20:4 IF daily but I want to do some 48 and 72 hour ones again soon, I like Fasting =).

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #10

:smiley: lol This is a timely post for me. I just had to fast for blood work yesterday, and as you say, it was zero sweat. It was only for 8 hrs though. I told the nurse, heck I’m going 14 to 16 hours every day without eating… And 26-30 every Sunday through Monday.

(Lisa) #11

Wow, 72 hours! I kind of gave up on longer fasts because the 36-hour one made me feel so ill. I have some autoimmune stuff going on, so it may not be advised for me.

Hubby isn’t keto. He’s vegetarian and eats his share of carbs.

(Susan) #12

Fasting is definitely not for everyone. It is something that I like personally; but some people really hate it. It is always just better to do what works for you and your own body =).

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #13

Welcome to keto. I was pre-T2D and reversed it. Now I can go days without eating. Still get some hunger but that passes and I never get any symptoms from low BG levels. I think my measured extended fasting BG has been as low as 59mg/dl.