Fasting. Can I snack during eating window

(Kellie) #1

During the eating window of fasting am I allowed to snack? right now I do fasting from noon to 6, basically I only eat twice but I feel it isn’t enough - sometimes I’m hungry a few hours later and when I eat I never finish the meal I feel full after like 5 minutes of eating . I want to be able to eat whenever from noon to 6 that’s ideal , I don’t want to just eat two meals because I never finish it I get full right away but hungry later. Is it ok to snack during those times . I don’t know how to make this work

Snacking isn’t recommended per Megan Ramos. If you are still hungry after eating it usually means you didn’t get enough fat. Try to up the fat. I would say if you must snack go for olives, macadamia nuts or avocados- we are trying to minimize your insulin response. If you haven’t already, read The Obesity Code and/or the complete guide to fasting by Dr. Jason Fung. I too struggle with feelings of hunger after fasting, but I’ve come to realize that most of it is psychological hunger, not actual hunger. You have to learn your body’s own hunger signals, and if your anything like me, your body doesn’t know how to function properly after years of binge eating and other bad habits. Sometimes having a rigid eating plan after fasting can help

(KetoQ) #3

Yes, you can snack during your eating window. One should use the eating window to both enjoy the food you’re eating, as well as get enough to eat that you feel fully satisfied once you resume the fast.

You should be able to fast and still have a good relationship with food. The trick is to eat in a way that you can lose weight and go about your day and not be hungry.

When I’ve done OMAD, I can get full rather quick and eat lower calorie amounts, then may feel hungrier later, and it can make the fast more difficult. Plus, with one or two meals per day, and if you get full quickly, you may not be getting enough calories – and although calorie restriction can be of benefit, it can also be an impediment to short term weight loss as well as long term weight maintenance.

You should eat whenever you want from noon to six – as long as it is keto friendly foods. Experiment and find a way to make it work for you.

(Kellie) #4

Thank you :+1:t3:

I think whatever you do it should happen naturally. I would start with your eating window from 12-6 as an open window to eat when you are hungry. Notice any patterns, notice the meals that satiate you vs. those that make you snacky later. See what times you get hungry. Maybe you need to fit 3 meals into that window. I think that eventually you will fall into a rhythm that feels good.

The end goal is to try to raise your insulin as little times per day as possible, but it will be different for each person what feels best and how to achieve that.