Fasting blood glucose drop following fat bomb coffee?

(Rob) #1

Anyone have any thoughts on the following ;
I’ve been doing keto for a month and a half. For the past two days my fasting blood glucose upon waking was 99. I made the following coffee: half a scoop of collagen, 3/4 of a teaspoon of stevia, teaspoon of inulin, 1 tsp of coffee mate powder, 1 tablespoon spoon of MCT oil, blended to get a froth. Half hour after consuming my blood glucose dropped to 69 after 1 hr, went back up to 82. I thought it was supposed to go the other way?? Believe me I was pleasantly surprised because it is delicious !

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

Lucky guy I guess! It does seem odd.

(Robert C) #3

It could have nothing to do with the coffee.

Could just be your measurement timing.

“Dawn phenomenon”, dip upon awakening followed by “cortisol awakening response”.

(Randy) #4

Coffee Mate powder is:

Ingredients

Corn Syrup Solids, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Coconut and/or Palm Kernel and/or Soybean), Sodium Caseinate (a Milk Derivative)**, Less than 2% of Dipotassium Phosphate, Mono- and Diglycerides, Sodium Aluminosilicate, Artificial Flavor, Annatto Color.

The coffee mate powder and collagen protein may be causing an insulin spike. That, with the lack of total carbs would lower your blood sugar.

I’d ditch the Coffee Mate. It’s not food. It’s processed crap. Add some HWC instead. :smile:

The stevia could also cause an insulin spike.

(Rob) #6

Are you saying that my insulin would be going up, while glucose levels are dropping? That’s what I don’t understand. I thought the whole idea was that increased glucose meant increased insulin. Took measurement again today and glucose rose 2 points after coffee and only a total of 4 after a keto meal. (Not diabetic, but strongly suspect years of insulin resistance)

(Carl Keller) #7

If blood glucose goes up, insulin’s job is to bring it back down to your body’s preferred level. So the BG level should fall in response to insulin’s rise.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

Here’s the basic biology: glucose in the bloodstream above about a U.S. tablespoon is dangerous, possibly even deadly if it gets too high. Dr. Phinney describes it as a “metabolic emergency.” Not only can hyperglycemia cause coma and death, but the excess glucose also causes damage to proteins by glycosylating them—and then you’ve got all those advanced-glycation end-products running around, causing damage of their own.

To deal with the metabolic emergency, the pancreas acts on the elevated serum glucose by secreting insulin from the β-cells in the Islets of Langerhans. The effect of the insulin is to drive the excess glucose from the bloodstream by forcing muscle cells to take and metabolize it, and forcing fat cells to store it, in the form of triglycerides. A chronically high insulin level also creates other problems: raising blood pressure by messing with the nitric oxide balance in the blood vessels, causing inflammation in many areas of the body, and so forth.

So yes, too much blood glucose causes your insulin to go up, and the dip in blood glucose you are seeing after drinking that BPC is caused by an increase in your insulin level.

The point of a well-formulated ketogenic diet is to keep the insulin level as low as possible for as much of the day as possible, so if something you eat spikes your insulin, you are working at cross purposes with yourself.

@Rseale8856 @PaulL Yeah, it takes some time to wrap your head around all this. It is not rocket science but nor is it kindergarten stuff either. You have to actually do some research on yourself and think on Keto.

That’s why in my case, when in doubt I just fast. I then sort out my re-feeding days with lazy keto.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

It’s one of the things I actually like about this way of eating—metabolic health and an education at the same time, lol! But you’re right that it does pose a challenge. :bacon: