Fasted for 3 days and still not in Ketosis!

(saud) #1

Ive been doing a water fast for 3 days and im still not in Ketosis!!! People told me the peeing strips are not accurate so I bought the blood keto strips and im still not in Ketosis! Im so confused how is this possible? I do eat sugar free gum and diet soda during my fast

(Bob M) #2

What level were the blood tests?

(saud) #3

0.3 this morning

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

Drop the gum and soda.

(saud) #5

It shouldnt be the problem considering its zero carbs or barely any calories, but I will stop them anyway

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #6

Depends on a number of things - for example how much glycogen you’ve got. Glycogen has to deplete before your liver starts generating ketones. Anything other than water could interfere with the process. Different folks have to deal with different effects. Stick with it and you will get there.

(Bob M) #7

There’s nothing wrong with 0.3. Take them at night, too. They should go up.

(saud) #8

But 0.3 is not Ketosis right?

(saud) #9

Yeah but ive fasted before many time and been doing a keto diet so I should not have that issue? I do have extremely high insulin though.

(Allie) #10

It’s fine.
Some never get higher than that but still do well.

(Bob M) #11

It…depends. My ketones are typically low in the morning and get higher in the evening. It’s the reverse of blood sugar (typically higher in the morning and lower in the evening). For instance, here’s some random data:

There are two columns of blood ketones, one for my “home” meter then one for my “work” meter, followed by blood sugar. Blood sugar is always higher in the morning, lower at night, while ketones are lower in the morning, higher at night. Thursday morning, I exercised, which is why my blood sugar shot from 95 to 108. On the days I exercise (always in the morning), it tends to stay higher longer, too.

If you’re referring to >0.5 mmol/l as being “in ketosis”, this is poppycock. You mean I was not in ketosis in the morning, then in ketosis a few hours later, even though I did not eat anything? How is that possible?

I was in ketosis the entire time. I think if you have any ketones at all, you’re in ketosis.

I gave up taking blood ketones when I started getting 0.1 or 0.2 every morning.

(Jane) #12

What was your last fasting insulin reading?

Yes you are, your liver can’t hold 3 days worth of glycogen. Throw the pee strips in the trash where they belong, they’re useless.

0.3 means you have ketones in your blood, therefor you’re in ketosis.

Anything other than 0.0 is ketosis.

(bulkbiker) #15

If you are registering ketones then you are in ketosis by definition.