Family - Relationships - birthday party

I started this WOE nov 18.
I have had amazing benefits.
Mine wasn*t weight loss at all.
But this is standing in another post…

My probleme today:
The family of my sister.
We live in the same town and therefore I often stop by and have a tea or something.
With a large family there is often something to celebrate…

And here are the problems:
They eat vegan and high carb low fat!!!
They can’t believe what I want to eat.
I had to take my food whith me.

The not so funny thing is:
My sister and I once have had similiar health issues,
although she is eleven years older than me,
I am so sorry for her, she just was in hospital,
because of her constant pain.

Next week, there will be the next aniversary to celebrate:
I’m feeling more and more isolated.
It will be 4 p.m. and I will sit there - not hungry at all,
but all the other around the table are eating 2-4 pieces of cake.
It’s also pasttime, I don’t need any more.
I’m not so good in samall talk, therefore I unsed to eat
4 peaces, just for the purpose not to talk…

Not everything is good whith this WOE :cry:

(Garry (Canada)) #2

Make your own cake.

Enjoy!

Don’t let others influence your judgment. Far too many are incapable of research, and critical thinking today.
The population has become a bleating mass of sheep!

(the cheater) #4

Sorry, a cheater here weighing in: do you not give yourself a free day occasionally? While cheating is not technically recommended, at some point, if sticking to keto is distressing you for this reason you mention, I don’t see a problem giving yourself a free day or free ‘window’ every now and again. I do it weekly (usually Friday evenings) and I immediately jump back to a keto WOE the very next day.

Again, I know the general consensus is “keto forever I don’t even want sweets anymore ever I’ve overcome cravings and temptations I’m superhuman” but I take a bit more realistic approach.

Now, I will say that if this is like an every day sort of thing, then of course you’ll have to just abstain most of the time. But you should enjoy life and keto shouldn’t stress you out. Good luck!

I have done this several times before. But I noticed that I just don’t want to eat after lunch. Isn’t one of the important things: don’t eat when you are not hungry?
Before this way of eating, I could eat everytime, I want eat everytime, I could eat as much as I can get, whith no limit. Although most of my life I limited me drastically to avoid weightgain.

Before this WOE I ate low carb. And in that time I cheated regulary. But I noticed every time I cheated I got nearly sick. Headaches, swollen hands and face. Straightforward: I don’t like this feelings.
At that time I didn’t know the cause of this symptoms.
Since I eat high fat I have NEVER had headaches again!
I have no interest in cheating, besides I like the beef and cheese much more than the cake!

(Raj Seth) #7

Thats fabulous. Cheating is just cheating yourself. I don’t have to fight the temptation to cheat either - no desire is more accurate.
You are doing well. I understand it must be hard to watch others you love continuing to destroy themselves all around you eating the high carb cr@p. But at some level, you have to let them be - they have to find their own path.
You do You!

(the cheater) #8

I have noticed, too, that I almost never have headaches anymore on keto :slight_smile:

You’re right about feeling like crap after a cheat though (a big cheat, I mean, not 9 grapes). That crappy feeling, I suppose, is what helps motivate me to stay keto the rest of the time lol. In any case, you can always do a little internet research about how to be better at small talk (topics that get people talking) or, you know, just bring a few dishes that you’ll enjoy eating while everyone’s eating cake.

(Frank) #9

I can’t recall who posted it but they referred to Keto woe as a furnace and a bridge. The furnace to burn down the SAD and then comes the bridge to a more flexible diet. This really hit home for me. I feel that I am on that bridge now and have been having foods every now and then that I didn’t have for the first 8 months. A burger with the bun, a craft beer or three, a few crackers that aren’t flackers, etc. These aren’t every day. Maybe once or twice a week at one meal. Sweets will most likely be a monthly or couple times a year kind of thing and processed food the same. Personally I’m enjoying the hard work that I put in to heal myself by treating myself to taboo foods on occasion . 95% or more of the time though my focus is on making and keeping my body disease free by feeding it Whole Foods and keeping my stress levels low. Obviously ymmv

(the cheater) #10

You’re WAY more than 95% of the time. I calculated that if I give myself a 4-hour cheat window every week, I’m still strictly keto 98% of the time. So you’re probably in the 99.999999% neighborhood :smile: know you weren’t being ultra-specific and scientific with your figure, but I just thought I’d point out that you’re doing much better than you give yourself credit for!

(Brian) #11

I like the make your own cake idea. Or, if you want to be bold, make them all a keto cake!

If you need something for you, you’ll have to take it with you. I’d definitely have something to drink even if only water, something to sip on for sure. Then something to munch on just to keep you busy. Heck, it could be something like sunflower seeds in the hull where you have to peel each seed… that can keep a person busy for a while with very little actual food involved. Or other nuts tend to require a lot of chewing.

Or… don’t go. Hate to put it like that but if you really don’t want to, maybe politely bowing out wouldn’t be a bad thing to do.

Feel for ya, it’s not easy sometimes.

Good luck!

(Frank) #12

Maybe it just feels like 95%. :wink:

I can’t make a cake for all: they are vegan and HIGH CARB LOW FAT
last time I offered it, I made vegan muffins, they even don’t touch it. I’ve made it with poopy seeds and coconut oil.

(Brian) #14

Well, if they won’t eat your food, you shouldn’t feel bad about you not eating theirs.

It’s awkward. Sorry. :frowning:

(Tubeman) #15

:100:!! :cut_of_meat: > :cake:

I can empathize. So many people are clueless about keto, and what we are trying to accomplish with our health. How many times have you heard, “one piece won’t hurt you”? YES IT WILL! It may not hurt you as bad as before you were eating keto, and you may be able to recover quicker than before, but anything that isn’t beneficial to your health is, in essence, harmful.

My personal hope is this. I believe that the ketogenic diet is truly gaining ground, and is proving to be more than just another fad diet. The more people get off of a high carbohydrate diet and start eating more fat, the more evidence we’ll have that fat is good for you.

This wouldn’t have been so obvious in the 1950’s or 60’s since there was still quite a bit of fat in people’s diets, but we’ve been living on carbs for so long now, the transition will be obvious (like it has for all of us).

But when this reality becomes more mainstream, more people will start to listen and participate. Then us “early adopters” will finally have someone to talk to, and we’ll have plenty to say. :grin:

@Tatjana I know this probably wont help your immediate situation, but I hope you will be encouraged knowing you’re not alone.

[getting off soapbox now] :wink:

I am probably not helpful since I can talk to a tree stump and I have. Once spent an entire formal dinner sitting next to a stranger who had a stroke (nice woman not to imply she was a tree stump in any way) and we had a lovely evening even as I had to be patient waiting for her to finish a sentence.

I recently went on vacation with family and was not hungry for dinner twice. Sat there drinking water for 3 hours chatting. It was pleasant. It is easier not to eat if you have eaten enough fat earlier in the evening. I agree with the suggestion to bring something you have to peel. Pre keto I would have been sitting there thinking when can I order dessert and could the waiter please bring another bread basket that I can finish by myself and please everyone do not eat the rolls because those are my favorite. I was always tempted and would focus on food but not in a good way, I was not in control I what I had

I do not think you should cheat unless that is something you were planning anyway and it does not sound like their food would be appealing anyway, what is cake without milk, butter and eggs?

There are some great low carb desserts and I would bring one. Who cares if they do not touch it, more for you to save. I have a few recipes that range from easy, I think it is Brenda’s cheesecake but could be mistaken, it is pretty easy and I think there are no bake versions, to carrot cake, and to my favorite cinnamon rolls. I use powdered swerve when I bake because I hate stevia but if you do not mind stevia use that. I get swerve from Amazon

I think I will again drink a lot of tea…
As I said, I’m not hungry in the afternoon any more and therefore don’t want to eat.

I’m lucky my son is with me. He loves my food. And every time we ate with the rest of the family he complaines about bloating. For him I have tried a bunch of receipts for muffins. And I have made him icecream only whith heavy cream and sukrin fiber sirup. Added vanilla or cinnamon. Simple but great. He is 15 and needs some more energy…

For me it isn’t the problem not to eat THEIR food, and I need no substitute, but to be the only one at the table, who isn’t eating and to be not really accepted.

(the cheater) #19

Well, why not just go out of your comfort zone for a couple hours and eat when they eat (your own keto food, of course, since yeah, vegan cake? bleh.). If you normally eat earlier, then just fast until then. Just because you’re keto doesn’t mean you have to be COMPLETLEY anti-social about it lol :smiley:

Sometimes I try this with the breakfast. That is no problem for me.
But lunch at 4 p.m. - I still can’t manage this. It would be my favorite option.
perhaps one day this will be possible…
I only eat three times a day (compared to former days) but I can still not go on a fast. I think my body don’t want me to get any thinner.