Fallen off the wagon, run over and lying in a gutter covered in candy wrappers

“Know thyself” they say. And obviously I do not. I underestimated the Sugar Monster. And I was very wrong on my logic that I could handle a glorious cheat day on Thanksgiving (stuffing and pumpkin cheesecake were my drug of choice this day) and then a few days later my birthday came with more temptations I failed to resist and well, here we are and I have yet to crawl off the sugar/carb ledge. Like an addict, I am now obsessing about the leftover Halloween candy and the everything bagels I’ve been able to ignore easily until now.

I am definitely feeling the roller coaster of energy crashes again, mindless snacking on carby crap I don’t even like that much and I’m also being snippy to people now, I think because I’m always hungry again! All the time!! I’m afraid if they try to stand between me and some carbs I might have to tackle them to the ground. But I won’t have the energy lol. I miss the freedom of not thinking about food.

So. What is the best strategy to get back on track? Holidays and a family vacation are just around the corner and I need a strategy to get back in the Keto game. A diet of hard core bacon and sugar free Gatorade diet for a couple days? Fasting? I’ve “only” gained 2 lbs despite my Fall from Grease but those were a damn hard earned loss for me and I know that slippery slope of “only” all too well.

Any advice on getting back on my Keto horse would be appreciated. I’m sure a lot of us new to this lifestyle fear the upcoming holidays and could use a pep talk.

Thanks,
Yours truly
Sugar Mama

(Jane) #2

Go zero carb for a few days - bacon and eggs - to burn up your glycogen stores faster and then just go back to keto.

You will feel so much better in a few days!

You can fast if you are fat-adapted and after you have been keto for a week to make it easier so you don’t set yourself up to fail.

You can do an all-keto Christmas!!! Just have to set your mind to it and tell yourself you are more important than any food or pressure from family.

Thanks for the tip. Hello again, bacon!

(John) #4

Throw out the Halloween candy. No need to keep it around tempting you.

edit

(Carl Keller) #7

Cardiovascular research scientist James DiNicolantonio of St. Luke’s Mid-America Heart Institute in Kansas City, Mo., who co-wrote the study, told The Guardian that in their study of sugar’s effects on mice, they observed, “In animals, [sugar] is actually more addictive than even cocaine, so sugar is pretty much probably the most consumed addictive substance around the world, and it is wreaking havoc on our health.”

If we look at processed sugar as if it were cocaine, maybe it’s easier to say no thanks?

BTW, the image your title inspired is hilarious.

(less is more, more or less) #8

This is precisely how I personally frame the whole matter.

(KetoQ) #9

Hi Sugar Mama –

Had a similar experience, in that I enjoyed the Thanksgiving pumpkin pie, as well as got through back to back birthday celebrations on Sunday and yesterday.

Yes, I indulged a bit and I enjoyed it, but I did it in a very controlled and moderate way that I don’t have any regrets. I was always worried that my first major carb event would be out of control and I would be like Mr. Creosote in Monty Python’s The Meaning of Life.

Gained a bit of water weight, but I’m hitting the weights hard to suck up the excess muscle glycogen and getting back to my good habits.

Glad I had my “cheat” and put keto perfection behind me. Just go back to what you were doing. One day at a time. It is all part of the journey. Knowing how to deal with the bump in the road and get back on course is an important skill to have for long term weight management.

Good luck,
Q

(Cindy) #10

^This. A million times this. Life, eating, living, is not about perfection. So you’ve had trouble getting back to keto. Big deal. Don’t use the delay to beat yourself up because that makes it that much harder to get back on track. Just make the next meal keto. No big deal, no regrets.

I ate what I wanted on Thanksgiving. Probably stayed pretty close to keto standards, but the Friday and Saturday after…not so much. It was partly my way of dealing with the emotional stress of T-day (my mom is fighting extensive stage small cell lung cancer) and then the return to “normal” life. But on Sunday, I was back to keto…and the first week was tough but now I know I CAN do it despite a derail.

I used to sometimes fast or do extremely low calorie days to get back on track, but that wasn’t working for me in the aftermath of Thanksgiving–every day I’d start out with good intentions and then fall off the wagon. I guess maybe this time of the year is just hard, maybe it’s the weather, maybe I’m just making excuses, whatever. So I decided go easy on myself, have a very small calorie deficit (if you’re counting calories), not be as restrictive meaning I could have some artificial sweeteners, and stick to that for all of December. So far it’s worked…I know we’re only 4 days in but still.

(the cheater) #12

Can I just say - “Fall from Grease” - brilliant!

I would just suggest to plan your cheat days rather than succumbing to the “temptation” - since I plan my cheat days, there’s no temptation between them. As you’ve seen, it’s not the end of the world. Just jump back on keto and you’ll be fine :slight_smile:

There are two variables we can control: WHAT we eat and WHEN we eat. They are both effective at addressing metabolic disorders and creating a state of ketosis. For example, Dr Westman is in the WHAT camp and Dr. Fung is in the WHEN camp.

You cannot succeed without knowing how your mind works. Here’s what works for me.

It is easier for me to restrict all foods some of the time than to eliminate some foods all of the time. So I eat LC most (80-85%) of the time. The remaining is dictated by occasion, convenience, cravings, or some other superseding circumstance. I use fasting to get back on track. For example, on Thanksgiving, I enjoyed dressing and peach cobbler. On the 24th, I started fasting. I didn’t eat again until Monday (I don’t eat when my BG > 85).

My health and vitality is of utmost importance to me, but food is not a central focal point of my life. My template (eat on plan most of the time, eat off plan occasionally, fast as needed) has the flexibility that I need for it to be sustainable for me. I suggest you figure out what’s important to you, what your weaknesses are, and design a plan around them.

(Laurie) #14

With all respect to those who say it isn’t about perfection, I think the straight and narrow is just simpler and easier. If I know I only eat meat, eggs, etc., I’m not saying “maybe” every time I see a pie or a chocolate bar. I can devote my mental energy to other things, because the decision has already been made.

13 years ago, I’d lost 50 pounds in 11 months on Atkins. Then at Christmas time someone shoved a piece of pie at me, someone else said “Come on, it’s Christmas,” and I spent the next 12 and a half years struggling with my weight. Eventually I gained the 50 pounds back. Was the pie worth it? Was the social gathering or the Christmas celebration worth it? Certainly not–to me anyway.

The past couple of days I’m struggling again because there’s eggnog in the house. I don’t blame the person who brought the eggnog in; it’s up to me to say it doesn’t fit into my plans.

Perfect strictness might depend on whether you’re a carb addict or not.

Anyway, having fallen off the horse, about all we can do is get back on–the sooner the better. Good luck, @Lou52 (and anyone else who needs it).

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #15

I agree with this and I’ll also add, get mad at that junk! When the Halloween candy sat in the bowl and my fat arse housemate ate a handful a night I gave in and ate a tummy ache full. After that, I’d walk past, narrow my gaze and tell it what a piece of [spoiler]shit[/spoiler] it was. It made me feel better and I resisted.

I’m already pre-angry at the high carb buffet that will be at Grandma’s house Christmas Eve. I’m preparing…:grin:

(Kathleen Rose) #16

I can certainly relate! My relapse was with carbs in general. Last Sunday I couldn’t get enough to eat. No matter how much fat I took in I still felt empty. I finally hit Burger King for the 2 for $6 deal and chowed down. That night I slept fitfully, waking up sweating and miserable. I felt sick the next day, my head was throbbing and my stomach was queasy. After another restless night I went zero carb in order to get back on track and start feeling better again. Hopefully it won’t take too long to get back into ketosis. I have definitely learned my lesson.

(Jennibc) #17

THIS is exactly what helped me quit the sugar habit. Reading “The Case Against Sugar” and realizing how the sugar companies lied about health consequences and thinking about all the people who have died because of heart disease and diabetes makes me furious enough to not go near the stuff any longer. My birthday was the night before Thanksgiving and I had no problem having no cake this year and having no dessert on Thanksgiving. I say why subsidize such a horrid industry? That seems to keep me on track.

(Carl Keller) #18

LOL, I am picturing you at Grandma’s giving dirty looks to all the pies and cookies. I might try it myself. :smiley:

(Ken) #19

The best way to deal with carbs when you have control issues is not to have them in the house. Then, when you choose to eat them, go buy them. That way it becomes a planned event not subject to impulse.

Carbs, including Evil Sugar are only “Bad” within the context of chronic overconsumption, such as the NAD. They are not inherently evil.

(Carl Keller) #20

It’s so true. Good thing for us that eating healthy is the best way to fight back. It’s just a shame that these wealthy liars will never be punished for all the illness and death they have caused.

Yep, this is what my inner voice says when I consider straying.