Fake Food

hellmans
mayo
bioengineered

I don’t think I commented. I checked, not seen a post from me LOL

but I love Hellmans. Carnivore lifestyle but I can easily eat, even bio gmo whatever for my 2-3 teaspoons per month if that. Ain’t giving up in my can of tuna. That is the only place I eat mayo is in a can ’ of probaby suspect whatever solid albacore tuna’ when I want it. So yea I get it over all if one doesn’t want it, can’t eat it, has no clue what is in it while eating it fully in life but for me, nah, I leave this one as a wash for me personally :slight_smile: again, just me on it.

now that doesn’t mean I am OK in any way on bio for veg. ALL crops have been bio’d and engineered for a long time now so what is on your plate, your bit of kale or broccoli is way corrupted vs. the mayo too at this point so??

It was interesting even though it didn’t say very much new thing to me. I always was interested in amino acids and read a lot about it.
But I forgot how insanely low-protein people eat… I can’t even imagine.
I suppose I always ate high protein (I only was an ovo-lacto vegetarian and it was ridiculously easy to eat a lot of complete protein without trying. I liked my protein) and since I track, I can see that I automatically do this and can’t not do it.
It’s so weird to me that people lack this instinct I have AND manage eating a ton without eating enough protein. But even if they need tracking for a while and knowledge, it could help for many. But no, they STILL think they overeat protein (while they very definitely don’t). It’s a fear I see way too often, people have strange ideas about the right amount of protein.

(Megan) #43

I don’t think this has much to do with how much food we, as a species, produces. It’s more about politics, economics, and an appalling amount of food wastage, as @PaulL said.

(Doug) #44

Switching from crops to pasture would not change that; probably would even make it worse - the transportation of meat being subject to more potential problems, overall. Aside from that, the numbers do matter - if we had half or a third as much population as we do, things would be demonstrably better, but it’s not that way and is rapidly getting worse.

Hey, I’m all for beef, pork, chicken, etc. I like them all, and I certainly like things that are sustainable (what good is a system that is not sustainable?). But as a planet, we’re going in the wrong direction, making things worse, not even holding steady.

(Megan) #45

Yes I agree, switching from crops to pasture wouldn’t help feed those 800 million. I just watched the 2 videos linked. 40% of food produced in America is wasted? Good Lord. And it sounds like a lot of it goes to landfills, rather than being given to animals to eat to make nutrient dense food for us. Of that 40% wasted, only 14% is animal based (meat, dairy), the rest is plant food - fruits, veg, bread etc.

(Doug) #46

So, a bad situation. But what’s the argument to get around it? Given the increasingly high price of transportation, it’s not like much American waste food will be shipped to Africa (where most of the next few decades of world population growth is going to occur).

I’ll listen to some Peter Ballerstedt videos - I don’t know what he says, exactly. Obviously, some people with certain tracts of land can do better; no debate there. Whether improvement, there, could make a meaningful difference is the question, IMO.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #47

Grow food locally and eat it locally. The way my grandparents’ generation did.

(Megan) #48

I came across this idea recently @PaulL and I think you are right. The footprint alone created from transporting food is horrendous. But I don’t know how that’s going to help many of the 800 million.

(Doug) #49

Definitely! And that can work exceedingly well for the local people in some areas, and it would work decently well for a world population of far less than what we’ve already got.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #50

Well, keeping on as we are going is going to mean a large population drop as we are overwhelmed by chronic disease and life expectancy declines, so this may be much less of a problem going forward.

(Doug) #51

War, famine, disease… I’d say that something is going to happen.