Experiences with ZC/Carnivore

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #21

Do you season it at all, or literally just cook it and eat it plain? I really don’t mind it plain!

I’ll throw some seasoning I pre-made on it plus some salt. Then in the bowl I might add a tablespoon of mayo or sf ketchup.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #23

Thank you for explaining that. I had been wondering.

(Adrian ) #24

I find it puzzling how many folks find it harder to fast intermittently on Carnivore, I find it as easy as on Keto, even more.
Probably a fat : protein ratio off-balanced…
My ratio is 70%:30% fat : protein

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #25

I doubt they are fat adapted.

(Elizabeth ) #26

A 10-year carnivore and one of the leading voices in the movement doesn’t seem to think that there’s an advantage to fasting if you’re already carnivore.

(Adrian ) #27

Why wouldn’t they? Are you implying that a ZC diet doesn’t induce fat adaptation? Because that’s proven to be false. It’s established that carnivores spend a lot of time in ketosis (not permanently) even with very high protein levels. Countless anecdoval evidence in the communities.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #28

Did I say I was implying that? No. I am saying if they are finding it hard to intermittently fast, they are PROBABLY not fat adapted yet. Not that they aren’t at all or can’t achieve it.
I’m carnivore and I am currently 60 hours fasted and 10lbs down. It’s not hard at all. So the only reason why it would be hard to me personally, is because I don’t think they are entirely adapted yet.

(Adrian ) #29

Oh, I see

(Adrian ) #30

On, I see.

(Rob Grantham) #31

Zero carb was too restrictive for me. It made it almost impossible/pointless to eat out and eating together with my family was tough. Also I developed some gi issues. I like vegetables and don’t feel like I have any issues with them.

(Elizabeth ) #32

I’m over 14 months carnivore, no eggs no dairy totally strict not a single cheat, and I would have no problem fasting but I see no reason to do so. And I’m eating this way for my health, not to lose weight. I get comprehensive blood work every 3 to 6 months and I am reversing four decades of metabolic damage. If my body chooses to drop weight, that’s fine, But decades of restrictive eating are the main cause of the damage. I’ll feed my body when it’s hungry, if that’s every 16 hours or every 3 hours that’s fine by me.

(mole person) #33

No, I was OMAD before carnivore and never altered it or felt any desire to. If anything I was eating slightly less as vegetables stimulate my appetite and on keto they tended to be covered in fats. I often would eat my veg well past satiety.

However one thing I do differently than a lot of carnivores is keep my fats high, usually 72%-82%.

One thing I do notice is a fake hunger signal sometimes a couple of hours after my big OMAD dinner. I think it may be the result of being used to a tummy more full of roughage. However, I’m never hungry the entire next day so I know it’s not real hunger. I expect it to decline with time.

No. I still eat dairy and eggs, however. Also, I generally have two or even three meats at my OMAD meal as well as a cheese plate. I even still make a veg for my husband but after a couple of weeks of craving a bit, now it’s like a plate of non food sitting on the table. I don’t even see it.

Yes, and yet another mood elevation. I’m brimming over with energy and cheer to the point sometimes where I can’t sit still. Just this morning, while waiting for my husband to dress so that we could go out, I found myself spinning in the living room until dizzy like a six year old because I couldn’t contain my exuberance. I’m 52! :flushed:

Only in the sense of not wanting to overdo protein on a carnivore diet. I keep to to 15%-20% range of calories from protein at maintenance. The rest is fat. I have zero issue building muscle at this level so it’s plenty.

Yes. I still love eating OMAD on carnivore and maintenance. It keeps my weight very controlled and is just plain preferable to me in every way. I don’t think about food or eating all day and I love the freedom. Once or twice a week, if I feel like it I’ll have a second meal, but that’s usually just to keep my husband company at his lunch. I rarely want it otherwise, but when I DO feel very hungry early in the day I always eat. Generally that only happens the day after a serious workout or when I’ve had very poor sleep.