Exogenous Ketones. Dangerous?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #22

I thought the point of the keto diet is to get your body to produce it’s own ketones from dietary and stored fat. Unless you need some ketophetamine or something.

(Consensus is Politics) #23

The most important takeaway from learning of ketosis sbout 5 years ago is this… to keep an open mind, and dont dismiss something because I already THINK i know how it works.

[ edit: deleted a long winded monologue :wink: ]

So when I see something that triggers my doubt, I make sure to remind myself, how much about that do I really know? Six years ago, I would strongly be in the camp that a keto diet was dangerous. The reason I’m not is hearing Steve Gibson explain his n=1 experience with low carb.

And now with my own experience, discovering that the “experts” were wrong, or just making things up, or even just assuming things, I no longer offhandedly dismiss most things. A couple of years ago I would have poo poo exogenous ketones. But now, I’m open to hearing evidence. But I’m still skeptical. And I agree, why buy them when you could make your own for free? And get healthier in the process.

(less is more, more or less) #24

#truth.

Which is why I also why I ran my question, here, regardless of my confirmation bias. I usually receive constructively phrased agreements or push-back on the subject.

Though n=1 personal testimonies are helpful, have there been any controlled studies of the benefit or detriment of EK, in the context of a fat-adapted group of people?

I’m also feeding them several desertspoons a day to my 94yo mother with dementia currently in respite care. I can’t get her on a keto diet but I can supplement with coconut oil and MCT oil.
She has recently started to feed herself breakfast, which hasn’t happened for awhile. She’s also cleaning her own teeth for the first time in a year. Doesn’t sound like much… but with a vascular dementia diagnosis 9 years ago and the prognosis for no reversals, this is encouraging to me anyway.
Staff in the nursing home have never seen this happen with any other resident with her diagnosis. She is totally lucid now.
Added: Tonight as I was cleaning her fingernails which I have had to do for her for several years now, she said “I think I had better do that”, took the nail file and cleaned her nails.
I realize for many people here this is not extraordinary, however, when you are dealing with dementia 10 years post diagnosis it is big stuff.

(less is more, more or less) #26

I visit my mom, daily, at a skilled nursing facility. She has dementia. The kitchen there loves to foist way too much carbs her way. This is huge, thanks for sharing.

(Consensus is Politics) #27

If I only knew about the benefits a few years ago, my mother-in-law would probably be celebrating her 90th soon. :pleading_face:

Dont accept what they say or do. You have rights. You should be able to state what her diet is. I’m fairly certain if your mother was a vegan they would jump through hoops for her.

There are plenty of MD’s that can be quoted when it comes to ketos benefits. Dr Eric Westman comes to mind. They can already see the little bit you’ve done has had an astounding effect!

Keto Vitae! :cowboy_hat_face:

I don’t implicitly trust this… but it gives a lot if things to be considered and researched. The click bait title nearly kept me away from it. IF… half the stuff the guy is babling about it true, the part about alzheimers is very interesting. Alzheimers is possibly a problem with energy from glucose not making it to the brain, causing issues. The glucose transport to brain being damaged is some way. While the ketone pathway is completely different, allowing the brain an alternate source of energy. This in itself would make exoketones useful! This has my interest now.

(Running from stupidity) #28

Yeah, but it’s Dom, and it’s so clickbaity it’s a parody, even of clickbait :slight_smile:

He’s so very calm & relaxed too - they must have worked extra hard to get the ever-so-slightly-crazy-looking picture :laughing:

(Consensus is Politics) #30

You say that as if I should know him. :thinking:

(Running from stupidity) #31

Yeah :slight_smile:

Honestly, I’m surprised you don’t, yeah.

(Consensus is Politics) #32

[doing my best Foghorn Leghorn]
Lum da de do da de DO DAH DO DAH…
“Details I say, more details sur! You give me a taste of knowledge and leave me, leave me hanging that is!” “Sheesh… kids these days. Getting information out of them is like pulling teeth”

Oh do dah day…

(Running from stupidity) #33

Yeah, I hate kids too.

HTH

(Consensus is Politics) #34

Haliotis Tuberculata Hemocyanin?!?

“You go to stop, I say you got to stop reading those long hair books boy!”

(Consensus is Politics) #35

Oops. My apologies. I thought you were saying something about my halitosis, bad breath that is. Instead i think you were just comparing me to a sea mollusk?

(Running from stupidity) #36

#finallyworksitout

(Consensus is Politics) #37

:crazy_face:

You are welcome and I do hope it may help you and your mom too.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #39

I just finished re-reading this thread, and it is good evidence that a well-formulated ketogenic diet warps the brain. Thank goodness my brain was well and truly warped before I got here! :grin::grin::grin:

I’ll sea your mollusc and raise you a crustacean! :rofl::rofl:

(PJ) #40

Isn’t the diabetic ketoacidosis a state of being BOTH high in ketones AND high in glucose?

Wouldn’t taking exogenous ketones + a SAD diet be similar? Sounds dangerous to me.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #41

How many shakes would you have to drink to get your β-hydroxybutyrate level up to 20 mmol/dL?