Exercise protects against the virus

(charlie3) #1

I’m bound to like this study.

(Todd Allen) #2

Even if exercise has benefits for Covid-19 one might want to tone it down a bit when sick. Here’s an interview with a former ironman champ who is also a physician who thought she was getting over Covid-19 and went for a run and collapsed on an uphill and suffered some relapse.

My wife and I have had colds for at least a couple weeks. Don’t know if it is Covid-19 although I hope so as it would be good to have it over and done. For me it came on very slow with minimal congestion so I’ve continued my daily exercise which includes a nightly strength training workout in an infrared sauna. Three nights ago I was clearly a bit off, not able to do as many reps per set while working up more of a sweat than usual. Feeling unsatisfied with the workout I immediately repeated it. Did an hour instead of my usual 30 minutes and was pleased to see I dropped 6 lbs when I normally only drop 2 lbs in sweat. But I felt amazingly bad and barely made it through my shower and into bed. Later that night I got a bad headache and by morning had a deep chest cough when previously all I had was a sore throat and sinus irritation. The next day my muscle soreness was fierce and I was a bit feverish. I’ve cut back on exercise the last couple days and I’m feeling better. Not certain the exercise caused the flare up in symptoms but it was bad enough I don’t want to push my luck pushing my limits until I’m past this.

(charlie3) #3

So, the response to infection is inflamation? The response to exercise is inflamation, right? So may be too much activity while fighting an infection can be counter productive and may be dangerous if the infection might cause pneumonia and death. I’m carrying on with exercise as usual but more willing to stop entirely this season except may be for some short walks too keep blood moving.

(Todd Allen) #4

Too much inflammation sounds like a reasonable explanation. I think the response to exercise is always a curve with a sweet spot and diminished or even negative returns with too little or too much. Any sickness can shift that curve but usually I feel like I have some sense of it. This time though it came on slow and easy and I under estimated how fast and hard it could hit.

I’ve noticed resistance exercise helps a lot but it seems that aerobic exercise might make it worse if the virus is in the lungs. Aerobic exercise was out of the question when I had persistent tachycardia from the virus replicating and destroying my heart.

I’ve read that it takes 20 to 40 days or longer to get over coronavirus completely. Especially longer when around infected and in denial people who cough and sneeze everywhere. Further spreading this virus and causing mild reinfection in others.

I don’t believe exercise is the only solution when infected. Vitamin A,D,C and natural antivirals are just as important. Resveratrol supplement and cooking with ginger, turmeric, onions, garlic, etc… in conjunction can have a beneficial effect for those that can’t get out of bed.

(charlie3) #6

If I sense inflamation caused by an infection I’m going to reduce or eliminate inflamation caused by exercise activity and won’t resume until energy is back. I lift about 90 minutes a week and do a bunch more walking or airbike at brisk walking intensity. I don’t share the concern you have about harm from aerobic work. I agree that food is the other peice. Crono tells me I’m getting 100%+ RDA’s of almost all the micros. After 2 years I feel like I’ve got a good handle on low carb eating.

I’m not doubting you and I’m grateful you posted the article because it pushed me towards exercising more. Resistance exercise was the major factor that cleared the virus.

I’ve been MIA because I’m recovering from viral myocarditis.

Thanks again.

closed #8