Erythritol have anybody ever heard of this?

(Karla Sykes) #1

Have anybody ever heard of this sweetener? I seen it in a lot of the cheesecake recipes on YouTube.

Yup, itā€™s a staple for many. Not quite as sweet as sugar but used pretty heavily in baking.

Sugarcane alcohol is part of the sugar-making process - but erythritol is also made from GMO corn slurry alcohol, which is quite a different source.

I use it mixed with little liquid stevia or monk fruit drops. During my second year of keto I lost much of my sweet tooth though, so my usage has reduced. I like Anthonyā€™s quality and price.

Iā€™ve been using some of Dr. Anna Cabecaā€™s smoothie recipes that use ingredients like coconut flakes, raw cashews (in moderation), and cinnamon/cardamom as natural sweeteners. But when I make a pancake, I love Lakanto syrup or Pyure syrup on top!

(Karla Sykes) #4

A lot of the cheesecake recipes that I found on YouTube uses this what would you recommend? Would you even use this

Sure! If youā€™re aiming for a cheesecake and other baked sweets like brownies/cookies - erythritol works great, though you have to use more than you would if it was sugar because itā€™s only 75% as sweet.

The Keto Diet Cookbook by Martina Slajerova has a few really good desserts using erythritol and stevia. Keto chef George Stella uses it too.

(Karla Sykes) #6

Okay great when I get paid on Friday Iā€™ll go and buy the stuff for the cheesecake bars and I will take pictures of the process

I powder it in a coffee grinder before adding to certain things - and use it like powdered sugar on top of pancakey things for special brunches, yum!

(Karla Sykes) #8

Okay great just gave me amazing advice

(Susan) #9

I bought both types of it from Amazon - one is granulated, like regular sugar and one is powdered like icing sugar. Some recipes call for one type, and some call for the other.

('Jackie P') #10

I use it whenever I make a dessert, which is quite rare these days.
If you look at the fruit topping recipe I posted, I use it in the compotešŸ˜‡
I give it to my guests and donā€™t always tell them, not to be deceitful, just because I forget and they enjoy it just the same!

(Susan) #11

I havenā€™t used any artificial sweeteners since early June myself; so I will probably end up using the two bags (one granular and one powdered) for recipes for treats for the family as well!

(Karla Sykes) #12

I will post pictures step by step of my process of making my cheesecake bars on Friday Iā€™m just waiting until I get paid

(Edith) #13

Erythritol has a cooling effect that some people donā€™t like. You may want to try to make something small with it first to see if you like it, before you make an entire cheesecake.

(Karla Sykes) #14

Okay

Oh yes. It is what is in Rebel ice cream (along with Monk fruit) which I get once in a while as a little treat when the family is having ice cream.

I did buy a bag of Swerve when I started out. It is a combo of erythritol, oligosaccharides, and flavors. I have only used that when making whipped cream. I thought I would make more things with it, but I just havenā€™t. I am known for by my extended family for my Christmas cookie platters ā€“ especially the biscotti on them. Not sure what I will do this December. I may need to find an almond flour/erythritol recipe.

Anyway, I find I eat or make very few sweet things after doing this for 8+ months, but at the start it was nice to have on hand. Now it is in the fridge just sitting there.

(Diane) #16

Carrie Brown has some good cookie recipes on her website. I really trust her for recipes for baked goods.

(Diane) #17

I find if I use less than 3/4 cup or so in a recipe, I can tolerate the strange ā€œcoolingā€ sensation of erythritol ok. The larger the amount, the less palatable I find the finished product.

(Katie) #18

I tried both straight erythritol and a slight modification called swerve.

I like the swerve. To me it tastes exactly like sugar.

I am careful with it as they claim that erythritol can cause intestinal ā€œdiscomfortā€ā€¦because it isnā€™t digestible. I have had no issues with it, and I do not know anyone else who has had trouble.

I made cheese cake with it. The teenagers in the house grabbed large pieces of the cake. I said nothing. They loved it never knowing it was sugar free. No one had an issue except I had to defend my cakes from that point on.

(Karla Sykes) #19

I have found that oligosaccharides hurts my stomach. I remember in the 90s they made Pringles with this and it was terrible. Iā€™m going to try to avoid that one

(Karla Sykes) #20

I will definitely be careful and thanks for the advice