Erythritol: Corn derived vs Birch derived?

sweeteners
erythritol

(Steak and iron) #1

I’m tempted to say that it’s a chemical and in very much the same way that beet sugar is identical to cane sugar, corn erythritol and birch erythritol should be identical in any measurable way.

Does anyone have experience here? Is birch-derived erythritol worth the 50%+ price increase?

(Scott Shillady) #2

From all that I can find they are chemically identical. Looks like a Marketing Gimic. Birch can be marketed as non-corn, non GMO.

(Mark Bousquet) #3

Is it really a 50%+ price increase to get the organic? Or a huge discount on the GMO version because of the cheap manufacturing process? I doubt they’re even testing to see if there’s any glyphosate left in the end product…

It’s up to you if you have any issues with that possibility.

There’s no magic to making Erythritol. Anything that can be converted to glucose can be used to make it. So, once you’ve created a glucose molecule, saying anything about the parent product is just marketing.

After looking around, is Birch even used in making Erythritol? It’s used in making Xylitol, a completely different sugar alcohol.

(Steak and iron) #6

Oops you’re right! Xylitol only is made from birch.

(Jamie Hayes) #7

I’m all for retraining your palate away from the flavour sweet.

(Steak and iron) #8

Yeah I want to do that, and I’ve managed to go about a month with zero sweeteners, but for whatever benefit they provide me I just find my life is of higher quality when I can have some kind of sweet.

(Jamie Hayes) #9

Read this to give you some perspective.