Enhance emotional sensitivity

nutrition
emotions

(Rich) #1

hi guys, (41yo male, reasonably fit male talking)
I’ve read a lot about how the sugar lows etc can cause negative mood swings and depression and this primarily seems to be in females.

I’ve been on Keto since around June and I haven’t had any negative emotions, or depressed feelings since I began (I’ve always done electrolyte substitution) in fact I feel great, but for the past few months I’ve noticed a drastic increase in emotional sensitivity. I’ve gone from someone that remembers welling up twice ever in films (Notebook didn’t get me) yet now I find tears falling at episodes of New Amsterdam and films I’ve seen a tone before (happy and sad tears).

note: the ONLY change in my life, lifestyle, diet, activities, relationships etc is that I’ve started Keto with regular 16/8 intermittent fasting

So a few questions:

• is this normal / expected?
  • does this imply some sort of nutritional imbalance (or 40year correction…)
  • has anyone (preferably male) experienced this before?

thanks in advance and love the Keto!

I’m not male so not your opinion needed mostly…lol…but you are growing physically and mentality! That is a wonderful thing.

Emotions as life intended without horrifying man-made food in your life.

I am so happy you are doing so well and enjoying life ‘as it should’ be with real emotions that do effect our lives but all us that were in carb comas and more…we missed it a lot thru our lives.

Glad you are one who found some truths of life thru what you eat!!

Glad you love Keto…it gives you so much!

(Carnivore for the win) #3

I noticed the same thing after I started keto, a month or so in to it. Happy, weepy, happy all within an hour. I was 38 at the time.

I asked the gastroenterologist, that I was seeing and who recommended keto, about it. He said that it is common due to raised cholesterol intake and hormone rebalancing. He mentioned all hormones are made from cholesterol so the body is getting used to being able to generate them at correct levels. As I was switching from a high carb low fat diet to keto, my cholesterol was quite low to start.

I had to consciously realize that it was my body healing and adjusting, when I felt emotional, and that relaxed me. Being aware made me feel better about it, and the large emotional swings went away after a while.