Electrolytes and iodine

(Ivy) #1

what are good electrolytes amounts?

what are good amounts of iodine? /d

(Bob M) #3

I’ll have to listen to this one on my drives to/from work.

(Bob M) #4

The problem I find is that there are no good ways to test this. It’s really trial and error. I’d love a test I could get where I’d know exactly what I needed and how much to take. That test does not exist.

Like RDAs, is so specific to each person it’s hard to say. For most people salting your food (assuming you’re a salt person) gives you plenty, supplementing magnesium (we’re all pretty deficient there) covers that and some potassium will keep you good. If you did a 1/4 lite salt daily that takes care of most people. Around workouts or when your beating the crap out of yourself a little extra can always help, plus, go by how you feel. If you start having the electrolyte depleted feel (that’s the hungover feeling) have some.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

And drink to thirst, neither over- nor under-hydrating.

(Bob M) #7

I’m not sure about this one. Don’t let the carnivores near it, as they’ll freak out!

Also, when he talks about eating “too much” meat and the effects, and he provides possibilities to address those effects, either they’re ridiculous (the potato/meat ratio for instance was insane) or he doesn’t really answer anything.

I will listen to it again, though.

I didn’t think they recognised the micronutrient and electrolyte availability in marine seafoods as well.

Iodine and magnesium from sea vegetables, for example. Or, should I say leafy green sea vegetables? It sounds better than algae.

(Bob M) #9

I thought that was strange, too. In particular, they didn’t like seaweed, which I always thought had a lot of iodine. They were concerned with contamination, but I thought there was some that did not have much of that.

Once I understand what’s being said about the biochemistry I’m taking it straight to the carnivore tribe.

(Bob M) #11

You might have to wait until his book comes out to see what he’s actually proposing.

I read his salt book, and I’ve also read mixed reviews about it. In particular, some people read the citations and said they don’t agree with his interpretation of them.

On the other hand, I have increased salt because of the book with no ill effects. For instance, I salt my morning coffee. But that’s also at least partly due to low carb/keto and needing more salt. I’m not sure how much this applies generally, though I do think the current salt guidance is overly restrictive for basically everyone.

(Edith) #12

It’s been a long time since I read “The Salt Fix.” If I recall correctly, there was a fair bit of conjecture towards the end of it. I did find that dissatisfying. I don’t want conjecture. I just want hard facts.

With that being said, I need a ton of salt on keto/carnivore.