Electrolyte Supplementation

(J) #1

Do any of you use “Dr. Berg’s” electrolyte powder? Up until this point, beyond magnesium, I’ve not been using any supplements, but it seems I may need to supplement. I am trying Dr. Berg’s electrolyte because it seemed to get some better reviews than the LMNT powder. It seems like any of them are going to be a little sweet for my tastes. I’m not big on stevia, monk fruit, or really any sweeteners, but I want to make sure that I’m getting my electrolytes in, and that typically is not coming by way of diet. The powder drink will be convenient if it’s a good fit.

What has any of your experience been with it, if you’ve used it?

Thank you in advance!

(Shannon) #2

I’ve been using SaltStick Elixalyte, which you mix in with water. It has no sugar. I also sometimes do the electrolyte fast chews, but those have 2g of carbs for the serving size of 2 chews, which looks to be Stevia. The fast chews are helpful right before I go to the gym, they give me a little energy boost. I like to use the Elixalyte when I’m doing an all day fast, that definitely helps stave off headaches.

(Allie) #3

I just use this -

https://www.bulk.com/uk/electrolyte-powder.html

Cheap, pretty much tasteless, does the job.

Everyone I know who has used any Dr Berg stuff has said it’s overpriced for what it is. He is after all just a chiropractor looking to make money.

Wouldn’t use anything with Berg’s name on it, but by the looks it’s all potassium with under dosed everything else. Wouldn’t go near it. Really not beating LMNT, minus the price. I use this which is the exact same thing at half the price.

https://truenutrition.com/p-9903-true-electrolytes.aspx

Without them, you’d be drinking ice melt! Sodium is bad at 1g, potassium is terrible in all amounts! Mag doesn’t taste like much.

Sounds pretty good especially compared to the awful stevia and monks fruit flavor I wouldn’t even go near :smiley: The worst tasting things my life, bitter medicine has nothing on them and I hate bitterness…
Neutral taste is way better than a bad one and it seems the OP find the sweeteners bad, taste wise or for other reason and wants them to avoid. I can relate.

I didn’t even know electrolyte supplements were sweet. WHY? Oh yeah, the vitamin tablets are sweetened too. But it’s quite unnecessary and even bad for many of us.

Don’t people mix their own electrolytes if they have problem with the products…? I have read about that a lot. I personally don’t need to supplement anything (maybe magnesium, I needed them before, not so much now, I have completely tasteless pills. I like this in pills, they aren’t sweetened).
Sodium is easy, one just licks some salt (I hate and never would touch salty water unless it’s a tasty broth), it has salt flavor, that’s neutral and sometimes even nice.
No idea about potassium.

(Allie) #6

Makes no sense to me either, mine just tastes a bit salty but easy to drink in water or coffee.

(Robin) #7

Hey, I’m curious what’s going on that you think you need supplements? Is everything still going smoothly and on track?

I only take magnesium (for leg cramps and regularity). And some potassium and a little extra salt since that seems to be the consensus around these parts.

(J) #8

There’s no off trackedness, praise God. Keeping between 165-175 for the most part (100lbs loss!). No body comp changes for the worse.

As for why I think I may be deficient, Nothing in particular, I just know that I don’t eat much by way of veggies with any regularity. Primarily protein and fat, all OMAD (naturally, not by design). General sluggishness on occasion, and I don’t want to take 5 different actions, when a single supplement would do.

(Shannon) #9

What type of magnesium do you take, glycinate?

(Edith) #10

I make a mix of NaCl and KCl in a ratio of 3:1. I will add a 1/4 teaspoon to my water. It’s cheap and no added sweetener. I’ve gotten so used to having it in my water, that I don’t like water without it any more. In addition, I take 400-600 mg of magnesium glycinate a day.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

Vitamins and minierals are found in meat, as well as in plants. So you are most likely getting what you need from your diet.

(J) #12

For what it’s worth -Dr. Berg’s Nutrition- has some excellent, responsive, and no-hassle customer service. I got a full refund on the supplement powder with a simple request, letting them know I didn’t care for the stevia, or the sweetness level of the taste. They told me not even to worry about sending the product back.

(Robin) #13

I take Mag citrate for the extra boost with being regular.

(Robin) #14

I eat zero veggies. I still take just magnesium, potassium, and K2/D3. I take Mag just cuz Im prone to muscle cramps and constipation. Always have been. Potassium will probably be dropped when I run out. And my doc convinced me everyone my age is short in Vit D (which needs the K for some reason).

(J) #15

I suppose if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. My primary goal is to ensure that my digestion is in track, and I’m getting what I need.

1. I haven’t yet, nor do I ever want to count macros (I’ve lost 100lbs over the last 6mos)
  2. I want to ensure I get the electrolytes and nutrition I need, but without having to have a complex routine of 30 different things to do (Delauer, et al, it seems, would have me obsess over these things. No thanks).
  3. I don’t know where to start with appropriate brands on potassium, kind of magnesium, etc. Would like to know the minimal necessities, and brands that don’t have carbs, break fasts, etc.
  4. I’m probably a spoiled child with regard to these aforementioned desires. :joy::rofl:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #16

Also, consider the possibility that you might be fine without any other supplements, as long as you’re getting enough salt. As Judy Tenuta says, “It could happen!”

(KCKO, KCFO) #17

I have lived by her sage advice for decades, love her.

(J) #18

I want y’all to know that the 20oz ribeye and two helpings of charred brocolli inter melded with bacon & cheese supplemented just fine this evening.

It sounds like bragging :smiley: No judge, I would do the same after having such a superb sounding meal :wink: (Even if I probably would skip the broccoli :wink: I would be satiated with the rest even on a hungry day…)

It’s said jokingly, I totally can imagine you merely informed people who to get enough electrolytes (and lots of nutrients) from food.

Though why not to do both?