Electrolyte imbalance...dangerous

(Mike W.) #1

Just curious if anybody has actually had their electrolytes so out of balance that something serious or harmful actually happened? We’ve all dealt with headaches and dizziness from it on occasion but I have to imagine it takes some real deficiencies before things go South. I know this is something that has worried me, so set my mind at ease.

The only related events to electrolyte imbalance I’ve read about is extended fasts that go beyond a month, and issues appear upon refeeding. Or when supplements are involved (people not knowing what they are doing). The minor imbalances that occur during keto, from what I read, are just annoying symptoms (headaches, cramps, etc) and not issues that land you in a hospital.

(Mike W.) #3

I have to imagine our bodies are pretty good at keeping things in check. It just provides subtle reminders occasionally when we forget to give it what it needs.

Don’t worry.

As far as low electrolytes go, you’ll likely suffer from uncomfortable and sometimes painful muscle cramps long before you get anywhere near the point where things are actually dangerous. (When mine happen, they happen in my hamstrings. It can be quite comical to watch.)

Depending on how much water you are drinking, you may want to consider a simple electrolyte supplement. (ProTip: if you experience muscle cramps, the first thing to try is to add a few electrolytes to your intake. Ask me how I know.)

I used to use Alacer’s “Electro Mix”; that’s the company that makes “Emergen-C”, the powder that comes in packets, you mix it in water and it fizzes. (Electro Mix is basically Emergen-C, but without any vitamin C, and less sweetener.)

But, they altered their formula so that it has more carbs than it did before (in the form of maltodextrin if I remember correctly), so I quit using it.

I switched to “LYTEshow”. It works really well, and contains ONLY electrolytes.

So, if you are getting a bit low on electrolytes, you’ll likely know from the muscle cramps. If you are consuming too much in the way of electrolytes, that’s usually self limiting too. One of the components is magnesium. How you know you have too much magnesium is… well let me put it this way: imagine what would happen if you took too much Milk of Magnesia. Solution to this problem: lower your dosage slightly.

(Newimprovedme ) #5

After doing a 23 day water only fast 10 years ago I had a physical and was told that my electrolytes were not in balance. I was given some pills which I took for a day or two (I’m not big on pills).
I have not had any electrolyte issues with shorter fasts or eating a ketogenic diet.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #6

Nasty ass muscle cramps, that’s about it. As far as I know.

(Mike W.) #7

I’ve been noticing muscle twitches lately and some random muscle cramping but not the jolt you out of bed hamstring and calf cramps like I used to. I’m sure I just need to up my water intake.

(Amanda Burton) #8

I frequently get nauseous and it took me awhile before I realized that I need to drink about 1-2 liters of ketoaid every day. Now, the second I feel nauseous I reach for ketoaid. 99% of the time I feel better instantly. Nothing more serious than that has happened, so far.

(Mike W.) #9

What recipe do you use?

(Amanda Burton) #10

1 liter of water, 1 tsp light salt (sodium/potassium), 1 Tbsp magnesium citrate (usually cherry or lemon flavor). If we need extra flavor we use a stevia sweetened water enhancer. Sometimes we omit the magnesium citrate because my son and I don’t need it as much as my husband. He just adds a splash to his cup separately.

Amanda Burton

(Stickin' with mammoth) #11

Hunh, I didn’t know you could get this stuff in flavors. Do they use an artificial sweetener in there, too?

(Mike W.) #12

Does anyone find that adding lite salt to their water gives it the mouthfeel of milk? I don’t mind I just found it odd.

(Amanda Burton) #13

We buy a store brand and it does list saccharin sodium in the ingredients. We have not had nay problems with it personally, but this may affect others. We don’t always put it in. Amanda Burton

(Todd Allen) #14

I developed constipation that in combination with several other factors might have contributed to an inguinal hernia that rapidly became severe. I can’t with certainty state the constipation was caused by a lack of electrolytes but it seems likely. I was increasingly restricting sodium thinking it was beneficial for high blood pressure. And my blood tests were showing sodium at the very top of the reference range. But restricting salt did not lower my sodium level, only my chloride level which dropped below the reference range. After reading Phinney & Volek’s books on keto diets I realized the very low sodium diet was merely contributing to my problem with excessive urination and dehydration. I added sodium chloride, potassium chloride and magnesium in multiple forms to my diet and no longer suffer from constipation or dehydration and my blood pressure is much more stable and has continued dropping as I’ve lost weight.

(Jessica) #15

So low electrolytes could be the reason why I suspect an even lower blood pressure than I had to start with?
Could this also be related to nose bleeds after a workout (no pattern here, but happened twice this week and I’m not sick… as far as I know)?

Even when I had 30 lbs more, my blood pressure was always considered to be normal, but the last few weeks I’m dizzy several times a day and I don’t like the direction this develops.

I have salt with every meal, one scoop of electrolytes in my water and daily an avocado and/or spinach. I think I’m eating healthier than ever, but somethings wrong here.

(Michelle) #16

If you are dizzy several times a day and having nose bleeds, you should probably go see a doc to get checked out.

(Jessica) #17

… That’s what I wanted to avoid. I don’t think I’m ready to have the keto conversation yet.
But I guess in the end, there’s no way round. Have to check out the doc threat.

(Michelle) #18

Just see what’s causing nose bleeds for sure. Could be unrelated (or low BP). But either way, good to have some peace of mind. Keep us posted!