Eggs. Demonized again. Sigh

(Brian) #81

At the risk of being a heretic, (and I admit, I didn’t read anything but the headlines posted on this thread), are the people who are saying eggs are bad seeing something that’s actually right when observed in the context of the Standard American Diet?

In other words, can more eggs really be bad when you’re eating a boatload of carbs at every meal? High-fat high-carb isn’t good, we know that. Is highER-fat, high-carb worse than just high-fat and high-carb? I can see how that might be true.

I agree that the studies we’ve seen in the media aren’t much more than entertainment designed to justify clickbait, confuse, and stir up the masses to read more clickbait.

That said, I have no reservation about eating all the eggs I want. I don’t eat a dozen a day, don’t want that many. But some days are maybe 1 or 2, others are maybe 5 or 6, depends on what else is on the menu. And eggs are also ingredients in other things. So…

Pass the eggs! Got any steak to go with?? :smiley:

The journalists didn’t even read the study well. It found that it’s the cholesterol, not the eggs themselves that is bad. Adding more eggs to your everyday sad diet is bad, but no worse than adding more butter. So you could just switch out butter or cream or trans fat with eggs, and no extra damage is done.

(Richard) #83

Anybody see the NY times article about “Thinking twice before eating eggs”. I can’t find the paper or the methods on line. It sounds like they are resurrecting the cholesterol is terrible for you story. I’d like to see the study and review the methods?
Rich

(bulkbiker) #84

Hi @PaulL can we add this to the thread on the subject please…

(Liz Ellen) #85

Here is a link to the JAMA paper: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2728487

(Liz Ellen) #86

Interesting, level-headed coverage of this study in Runner’s World:

The debate over eggs originated because of yolks’ high cholesterol content, and previous recommendations cautioned people to eat less cholesterol as a way to prevent cardiovascular disease, according to Alyssa Pike, R.D., manager of nutrition communications at the International Food Information Council.

However, she told Runner’s World , daily cholesterol limits were removed from the U.S. government’s 2015 Dietary Guidelines for America.

“This change came about because the current body of research about dietary cholesterol does not support the idea that dietary sources of cholesterol have a large impact on our blood cholesterol levels,” she said.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #87

Wow! A dietician actually making sense! That’s one for the books . . . .

(Wendy) #88

Or other common foods eaten. Not to mention those terrible food recall"forms". It’s all a farce.

(Wendy) #89

Or the toast and orange juice they may have had or probably how much junk food they ate on a daily basis.

(charlie3) #90

So today I’m pushing my cart toward the checkout line. I’m just picking up some staples, 2 shakers of Paprika, 2 pounds of cheese, 3 dozen eggs, 2 quarts of heavy cream, 12 pounds of ground chuck. (It’s a grocery list you could have made in the late 19th century.) Several women I passed noticed my groceries and looked visibly ill.

Last week I was buying eggs, butter, Jarlsberg, brie, and cream cheese, and some random guy walking by looked in my cart and said , “Yes,” to himself. I don’t think he thought I could hear him. Word is getting out. It’s one of the reasons they’re putting out so many hit pieces lately.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #92

@SporkyDonkey I’ve done the opposite usually looking at other shoppers carts. “NO!. :scream:

Just adding a sad comment here.

I really wish I were able to enjoy eggs, but I’m allergic to egg whites.

Eggs truly are demons in my own life.

(Wendy) #94

I’m sorry! I have the same issue with fish. And they look so good and are so healthy. Ah well.

Let’s just be happy that it’s only one of the two. Being denied both would like make me go vegan…

Solution. Simply limit your egg consumption to one egg a day.
You just need to get the right egg…

See, problem solved!
(Yes… thats a goose egg… equivalant to about 4 or 5 reg large eggs. And it was freaking delish)

(Brian) #97

Wow!!! Totally awesome! Would love to try a goose egg someday. Have had duck eggs but never goose. One goose egg with a half pound sausage patty, that would be a breakfast of champions! :smiley:

Goose eggs are nice. We used to have geese, but unfortunately I could only eat the bird, never the eggs. I did try, but it was pretty bad. Not as bad as chicken eggs, but still…