Eating straight fat. My latest discovery

OK, I don’t eat 100% fat items very often. But I have just stumbled upon something amazing. I smoke briskets and of course spend a lot of time trimming fat. The hard deckle and silverskin are removed of course. But then I trim the bottom side fat tp 1/4" to 1/8". If I leave it thicker, the people I am feeding just cut it off, wasting the rubs/spices as well as that dark brown bark I work so hard to get, smoking it for 16+ hours. I finally decided to take some approximately 1/4 - 1/2" pieces of fat and rub them with the same spices I use for the brisket and just smoke them alongside the brisket. In 6-8 hours they are dark brown— to meteorite black in color. They have a little crunch but then the interior fat is soft and partially rendered. There is a little spicy kick from the black pepper. Less chewiness than brisket but more melt in your mouth after the crunch. Good grief this stuff is BETTER than the meat!

('Jackie P') #2

Corr! Give us a bit :yum:

(Jane- Old Inky Crone) #3

Thanks for making me drool first thing in the morning! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::rofl:

(Ken) #4

You can also do the same thing without buying the brisket. Just find a meat department or butcher who will sell you beef trim. For me it only costs one third per pound of what brisket does.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Sounds amazing!

(So, . . . what time is supper? . . . :grin:)

Now there is a smoke ring

Smoke ring. Heavy bark. Plenty of moisture.

(Erin Macfarland ) #9

Very rich…but yummy!

We now have a name for the slices of fat cooked brisket style. “Texas Cracklins”

I will post a video