Eating Fat to Satiety

(Dawn) #145

[quote=“richard, post:131, topic:10634, full:true”]
Keto and Scared of Fat - that’s crazy like a Vegan butcher. [/quote]

I love this line!

(Adam L) #146

I’ve read all @Martin_Arnold threads/posts, tried replying to him a couple of months back (in a thread that eventually got shut down) before I realised it was a complete waste of my time and that I lacked the necessary patience! Reading everything people are replying to him has been a wealth of knowledge & confirms what I already knew about many of the good people on this forum. @richard responses in particular are such great learning resources & @mikki responses = wonderfully practical & full of heart. Really curious to see how long before this thread is locked and whether yet another one along the same/similar lines opens up. Hope Martin finds great success & hits his health goals. It’s certainly interesting to lurk and learn lots, thanks all.

(Donna) #147

Why are you on this forum?

(MooBoom) #148

I found this scale really REALLY helpful when determining satiety. I stop at a 6 or 7 and only eat when I’m a 2-4. I try not to let it get to a 2 often though.

10 / Stuffed / You are so full you feel nauseous.
9 / Very uncomfortably full / You need to loosen your clothes.
8 / Uncomfortably full / You feel bloated.
7 / Full / A little bit uncomfortable.
6 / Perfectly comfortable / You feel satisfied/satiated.
5 / Comfortable / You’re more or less satisfied, but could eat a little more.
4 / Slightly uncomfortable / You’re just beginning to feel signs of hunger.
3 / Uncomfortably hungry / Your stomach is rumbling.
2 / Very uncomfortable / You feel irritable and unable to concentrate.
1 / Weak and light-headed / Your stomach acid is churning.

Lately my problem is I cannot seem to get to 7 without eating a lot and then I get to 8 or 9 instead. I can get to 6 but then its like going to a chinese restaurant. Two hours later I am hungry again. Not starving but would like a snack and it is outside my eating window. If I am at 5 I need to eat a few hours later and I did not 2 months ago. I have no problem fasting but if I am eating I feel the urge to snack. Mostly nuts or berries or cheese.

Consistent with @richard said earlier, I am 5 months into keto, 6 months into IF and since last November (pre keto) have lost a little over 50 lbs (so hitting Phinney’s 25K mark as well as Fung’s 6 month mark). I still have at least that lose and have big events coming up in November and December as well as have in the back of mind that I need to set an example for 3 very sick friends who eat SAD and a Mediterranean eating relative who is recovering from a heart attack and is T2. While it has been said by others that whether you are at goal or not no one believes you anyway until they are ready to listen, I cannot help but feel that I need to try and they will not listen to me at my current weight (sad I know) but will be amazed if and when I get to goal since I have not been there any time this century (I am now about at my lowest this century which makes me nervous that I will stall soon, have only lost 6-7 lbs since mid July but everything is more noticeable despite that).

I wanted to thank @richard for explaning the Phinney 25kilo mark. As this is a great explanation for why I have been hungry lately. Question, whether someone’s goal is 200lbs lost, 100lbs or 50lbs, is the 25 kilo point the same? In one case it is only a fraction of the goal. I have personally not gotten to reading Phinney yet, more of a Fung and others

(MooBoom) #150

@saphire
You’ve lost a lot of weight (yay you!) and probably need to up your fat intake accordingly. I think that’s covered in more detail in this thread somewhere- great story about Richard eating a meal with a fellow further along their keto journey who had a much higher fat intake need as they had less body fat (I may be over simplifying!!).

Congrats on the progress you’ve made so far, I bet you’re inspiring more people than you know even though you’re not yet at your goal weight.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #151

This thread has been an education in many different ways. One thing I’ve learned is how fortunate I’ve been to have stumbled on this forum. If there are other groups out there mocking people for eating fat, I’m glad never to have encountered them. I’ll stick with people who are supportive and who look at the science, thank you very much. My thanks to the OP for being obnoxious enough to elicit some really helpful replies. @richard’s comments were particularly helpful, and the fact that I’m getting to read them illustrates his reasons for posting.

Oh, and BTW: If I believed that God really looked like a white-haired old white guy, I’d want him to look just like Dr. Phinney! :phinney::smiley::bacon:

(MooBoom) #152

@Jade good post to read re: satiety :slight_smile:

(Kaiden) #153

I noticed, though, that when I did the 90% fat experiment with a maximum of 1650 calories, I wanted to eat a second 10 oz of pork belly, but if I didn’t, I was full. I’m still full right now, even though I stopped eating over 12 hours ago. (Not sure if the experiment ends after my last meal today, or at the start of my next meal tomorrow morning, so forgive any shifting tenses).

With some people, and I don’t want to include myself but I have to, satiety signaling is a little broken. Ad libitum keto, even time restricted, doesn’t work. My stress levels are too high to support extended fasting, so I make due with calorie limits and time limits.

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #154

Like me. New keto woe, finding that the more I read and research, the easier it gets and the less I struggle. It’s really pretty easy, actually. I love fat and I no longer binge at night…at least, usually. Still have that carb craving once in a while. Eating some cheese, or tinned fish I oil, or a small handful of nuts handles the cravings.
I can’t believe how tolerant you guys are! I have anxiety and know how hard it is to let go of a worry sometimes. But here I see from reading that it’s ok to be unsure, and just try. See how I feel, and how my body reacts. Change it up if one way doesn’t work.
Thank you all.

(Susan) #155

Welcome to the forum, @coffeekittie!

Your body will let you know if you are getting enough fats. Keep your carbs to 20 grams or less, drink plenty of water (minimum 64 ounces, many of us easily can drink more than that in a day), no sugar, and eat until you feel comfortable but not stuffed. If you are still feeling hungry, than you probably are not eating enough fats. Personally I like to have 1-2 Keto Fat Bombs after my evening meal as a treat/desert. I find it makes it easier then to not eat until the next evening at supper.

Your body is different from everyone else’s. I started out Keto doing 3 meals a day( and sometimes snacks, I was soon down to 18/6 and two meals a day (no snacking between). Now I usually do OMAD, and 23/1; and atleast one fast a week (24-48 hours). I plan to increase this for a 72 hour one soon, probably next week, as this week is hectic around my house. Keto is awesome, but it is also flexible for things like fasting, or for what fat/protein ratios work for different people as well.
Good luck with your goals, Parker, and it is great to see you here!

I think you mean carbs here @Momof5 :slightly_smiling_face: 20 gm of protein is not nearly enough.

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #157

I find it incredibly easy to eat under 20g of carbs, nearly all from veggies. The most difficult thing for me is getting “enough” protein. I change up what I eat a lot though, and take all the recommended keto supplements (magnesium, d,all the B’s, etc). Feeling good. Need some fat bombs on hand is all…ate a huge amount of ice cream the other day when I wanted a sweet and fatty treat. Oops! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

(Karen) #158

I think you will certainly find that people from this forum are as tolerant as you will find. We’ve all been where you are. I’ve been doing this for two years and still find things I didn’t know and support I needed. A lot of people keep an accountability thread.

(Susan) #159

EEk yes I did, it was late last night and I was obviously dopey and tired! Thanks for the correction!
I edited my post =).