Dry skin on keto

(Todd Allen) #29

I haven’t tried lotions. I’d just about have to bathe in stuff as when an itchy spell starts it can hit most anywhere. And some places like the top of my head or an eyelid seem like awkward places to apply something.

I can only speak to my own observations and with me, it’s usually been because I was eating more cheap polyunsaturated oils and less saturated fat oils.

For example, over-the-counter mayonnaise is typically made with cheap polyunsaturated vegetable oils as well as almost all the salad dressings, even ones that happen to otherwise be ketogenic and eating lot of these usually results in similar feelings for me.

I don’t currently have access to the “better” polyunsaturated oils, such as high-oleic sunflower oil, so I can’t say if it’s actually the garbage in the cheap stuff or if it is actually a difference between polyunsaturated and saturated oils.

My best guess is that for me, it’s the garbage included in the cheap stuff.

The stress below was added by me.

However, not all sunflower oil is high in omega-6. Standard (high-linoleic) sunflower oil is indeed high in linoleic acid, an omega-6 fat, but high-oleic sunflower oil is at least 82% oleic acid, the same monounsaturated fat found in olive oil, lard, and your very own adipose tissue, while being extremely low in PUFAs (I’ve even seen a sunflower oil with just half a gram of omega-6 per tablespoon, comparable to macadamia oil).

(Todd Allen) #31

I’m not eating much if any oils, except for coconut and evoo, but I am eating a lot of nuts and seeds which are high in pufa. I didn’t think about those as they are all things I’ve eaten for a very long time without trouble, but I never ate very much of them when I was striving to be low fat and now I eat much more of them. I was looking for the problem to be coming from a new food but perhaps it is a change of quantity.

(Julie Pegler) #32

I know there is something called a “keto rash” I don’t know much about it though.

I am curious to know if anyone found a solution to their dry skin problems? @shawnkuplin @Theresa @Jeffryan @brownfat

(Jeff Ryan) #34

I increased my electrolyes and my skin is no longer cracking.

(shawn) #35

Nothing has brought my skin back to pre keto moisture, but I have upped all of the electrolytes, and it’s helped. Maybe I need to increase it more. My dermatologist said to shower in tepid water using Cerave hydrating bars, and to apply moisturizer without drying at all. I think this has helped as well, but I really miss hot showers and my hot tub.

Thank you so much. I am increasing my electrolyte intake to remedy this for myself. However I’m still a bit concerned about taking in too much salt as my doctor told me my salt was a bit high (but not to concern) before I started keto. Probably need to remind myself that it can be hard to teach old dogs new tricks :dog2:

(Jeff Ryan) #37

Maybe check your sodium in your body again post keto to see if it’s still high. How about the other electrolytes are they low as well? If your not sure maybe ask your doctor for a electrolytes check.

Thank you @Jeffryan. I suspect that my potassium may be low too. Will go to my doc and check for sure. Around here I may need to wait up to six weeks to get to the doctor and then another week or ten days to get the results. That’s why I’m trying to tweak on my own. Today’s main “food” will be home made bone broth… and then a lot of avocado and spinach with dinner.

(Jeff Ryan) #39

Let me know how you go.

I´ve been adding more salt, broth and avocado´s and it has helped a lot. I take salt dry, meaning I lick it from my palm and allow it to dissolve before drinking a bit of water. I also am trying to reduce coffee as it is diuretic. Thank you for caring @Jeffryan, I appreciate you for it :slight_smile:

One thing that worked for me on zero carb when the skin around my eyes was really dry was to add a little starch (rice or potato). it works because the mucus lining inside the gut has been lost because of the lack of starchy carbs. Please don’t ask me why that has an effect on your skin but in my experience it does. Good luck.

(shawn) #42

I’ve actually thought of this. I remember Richard talking about losing mucus, and my allergies and now very occasional colds are severely less noticeable with keto, which points toward this. I’ve become totally afraid of starchy veggies and non keto foods, though. I’ve been totally compliant for almost 2 yrs. Maybe, I need to see if I can stay keto with the minimum effective dose.

(shawn) #43

I looked it up, and will give it a try. How did you use it when zero carb? Mix it with drippings to get a gravy? Thanks so much!

(Sophie) #44

My skin had always been notoriously lousy, even as a child. Once I began supplementing with Iodine, all of the dryness, cracking, ridges in my nails, dandruff etc. began clearing up, healing from the inside if you will. I just wish I’d been supplementing years ago instead of spending decades of money on lotions and soaps that never worked. I believe people are more deficient than they suspect.

(Seth Lusk) #45

Have you considered looking at your lipid ratios? As in how much of the fat your consuming is monounsaturated, polyunsaturated (omega 6 or omega 3), or saturated? You want a good amount of monounsaturated fats in your diet as these will further reduce inflammation and reduced inflammation will help with dry skin issues … This can make a huge difference in skin moisture… Also… Electrolyte balance… Make sure your potassium to sodium ratio is adequate or this can also lead to dry skin… Just two quick ideas/ tips off of the top of my head… Oh… And the obvious… You have to consume more water than usual on keto as the lower insulin does cause your body to flush sodium and water leading to dehydration if you don’t keep up your water Intake.

We are in British Columbia, Canada. I think age has a lot more to do with it than keto. If anything since switching to the keto lifestyle, I’ve had less break outs, less eczema (almost nil), less inflammation and very clear/healthy skin. My asthma I’ve had since childhood has virtually disappeared and no fluid in my lungs. I’ve been told I’m glowing.

What I use in the winters (Jan to Mar only) is pure shea butter in tiny amounts. I’m on the go most of the time 6 days a week and one application in the morning lasts all day. I sometimes dab on a little after a shower in the evenings but I have no issues with broken or dry skin. Just putting this out there in case it helps anyone else.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #47

This.

I realized my ratio of 3 to 6 sucked so now I down 4 teaspoons of cod liver oil every morning just before the Daily Keto Latte and do my best to get at seafood whenever I can.

(Bunny) #48

Wanted use the latest response to update thread on keto and itchiness & dry skin:

Video by Dr. Berg and itchiness on keto.

Most of the itchiness looks more centered around natural sources of B vitamin (I use brewers yeast as my primary organic source of B’s) deficiency or depletion along with potassium?

The other most notables mentioned by Berg is amount (70% calories of dietary fat does not equal 70% volume) of fat being consumed and its connection to the liver and bile production[1] and the bodies physiochemistry not being accustomed to these dietary fat changes as to overwhelm the liver and gallbladders limited production of bile (cholestasis[1]) with too much dietary fat in the beginning transition stages (maybe even later if too much fat is overwhelming the liver and the gallbladders production of bile?) into keto and that is going to reflect on the skin in the way of itchiness, there is a very very tight connection between liver, bile, cholesterol, sun exposure (photosynthesizing cholesterol into vitamin D) skin health and itchiness?

Bile is like the bodies laundry detergent (berg) what breaks down the fat when it meets the mucosal barrier in the small and large intestines thus accumulating in the skin[1]; hence itchiness?

Are You Itching on a Ketogenic Diet?

References:

[1] “…The skin itches, possibly because bile products accumulate in the skin. …” …Merck Manual