Driving me NUTS! - Brazil Nuts and Selenium

(Troy) #1

Ok
I have been on this Non macadamia nut binge
Brazil Nuts…yummy
Lots of benefits, nutritionally, low carb ( as most of us know already )
Oh…And tasty

Hard to believe, I would leave these lone Nuts in the mixed can of Nuts back in the days :joy:
Much like, picking out certain Sees candies, biting and leaving in the box. Lol

So, what is the safe amount to consume ?
A handful ( 6-8 ) a day ?..that’s the good macro amount …FATS💥

I’m confused on this still w the “ possible “ toxic levels w selenium

Thank for those that are true Nutty Professors :rofl:
And can show the science

(Empress of the Unexpected) #2

I’ve heard one or two. https://savingdinner.com/eat-brazil-nuts/

(Karen) #3

I eat only 2 a day. For sufficient, not too much selenium.

K

(David Knigge) #4

Wow! I am so glad I found this site. I hate taking so many supplements. Now I can chuck the selenium and eat two Brazil nuts a day.

(Karen) #5

I eat to every day for this very reason.

(Brian) #6

I’ve been thinking of making some brazil nut butter. I have a hard time chewing the nuts well. I suspect I’d get more out of them, too, as I doubt digestion would break down chunks of unchewed nuts. They’re expensive so just a couple of teaspoons a day would probably be about right.

(Natasha) #7

I once crunched into an ‘off’ Brazil nut… worst.taste.ever. :nauseated_face: 20+ years later it still makes me feel sick just thinking about it! Now have to eat them tentatively… one small bite first to check I’ve not picked up a dud!

I usually eat 2 to 4 each day, or at least 4 or 5 times a week. Though I like Pecans and Almonds, (which are also usually in the fridge at all times) I tend to grab the Brazil’s first. They go well with a square or two of either 90% Lindt’s or 92% Ghirardelli Dark Chocolates. … Never knew about Selenium, or what it does. :confused:

(Todd Allen) #9

Never had a bad Brazil nut but I’ve had a few very nasty pistachios, fortunately I can now usually spot them before I bite them.

(Bunny) #10

Too much selenium (works in tandem with glutathione) is not a good thing either[1] but too little and you could loose your liver[4]? (…when it comes to the livers ability to filter toxins or too much of one substance including over-use of other anti-oxidants in concentrated extract form?)[4]

Balance is key?

Footnotes:

[1] Hepatotoxicity: The Adverse Effects of Drugs and Other Chemicals on the Liver Some of the exposed individuals developed cirrhosis and one developed angiosarcoma (56). Selenium deficiency and excess can both lead to disease. Selenium is an essential trace element, and a component of…

[2] Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention
Selenium, which has been shown to inhibit or retard carcinogenesis in both in vitro and in vivo studies …of a link between Thorotrast and angiosarcoma of the liver was published in 1947 (Macmahon et al., 1947)

[3] Selenium effective treatment against breast cancer, study suggests Date: October 20, 2014 Source: Texas Tech University Summary: Selenium, when attached to a monoclonal antibody presently used to treat breast cancer, has shown greater success in destroying cancer cells in a patient who has developed resistance to the chemotherapy, research demonstrates. Almost a quarter of a million people were diagnosed with breast cancer this year, while another 3 million are living with the disease.

[4] ’The food supplement that ruined my liver’ see also: Epigallocatechin-3-gallate enhances key enzymatic activities of hepatic thioredoxin and glutathione systems in selenium-optimal mice but activates hepatic Nrf2 responses in selenium-deficient mice.

(Laurie) #11

I remember reading that more than four a day can be too much. As an overeater, for me 4 = 0. Who eats four nuts? So I overdosed on brazil nuts once and had a rash that was unpleasant and scary. No more for me thanks.