Dr. Westman's diet is carnivore for practical purposes

(Chris) #21

Meaning devoid of usable micronutrients and only being used to fill in a fat macro and add a little constipating fiber on top. And then there’s nuts.

(mole person) #22

Haha… Note to self:
Dread=not a suger-coater. :rofl:

On a more serious note, What about nuts, in your opinion?

(Chris) #23

(That’s good to document early-on, perhaps I should include it in my profile)

They’re high in carbs and fiber, two things humans don’t tend to handle too well. Also, many people area easily allergic.

Lectins, Gluten, Phytates, etc.

(mole person) #24

Thank you. A very good read.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #25

Obligate carnivores in nature are defined as animals that get 90% or more of their caloric intake from animal sources. So, a wild house cat ancestor, back in the desert of Egypt, all black, might’ve eaten as much as 10% grasses and what not.

People take obligate carnivore to mean a thing that it doesn’t… that the animal cannot eat plants. It may eat some, but it’s more about what it eats in its natural environment than its digestive tract.

That said, kitties who eat grass generally use it to either barf or push poop, and not for nutrition.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #26

I know what an obligate carnivore is. It was just a commentary on the definition humans are giving to the carnivore diet for themselves. A joke of sorts.

(Running from stupidity) #27

I’m going to change mine to say “beats around the bush”

(Chris) #28

Is that a euphemism? :rofl:

(Janet) #29

I started Dr. Westman’s Clinic diet in 2010, and remain on it and involved with his support group to this day. As catgirl explained, the 3 cups of veg are there for fiber, and micronutrients. The half avocado, olives, cream and a few other add ons all have a purpose, one being tocounter the criticism of the diet being constipating. It is not a carnivore diet. Dr. Westman on Fiber: https://youtu.be/2Y0_d88NYzc

(Janelle) #30

Tuesday morning observation - the internet has taught me that if someone posts a post with a definitive statement in the title, no amount of discussion, facts, whatever will change their mind.

(Running from stupidity) #31

No matter how obviously wrong they are.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #32

Dr. Westman’s diet is functionally Atkins induction for all intents and purposes. So, yes if you ignore all the plant matter, yes, it’s carnivore. But then, if you ignore all the plant matter, vegans are breatharians and omnivores are carnivores, so yeah, I don’t think ignoring the plant matter is the correct approach.