Dr. Sarah Ballantyne doubles down against ketogenic diets

science

(Beth) #83

Thanks for letting me know. I’ve had a few instances of rapid/irregular heart rate. Makes sense about the electrolytes. I went off a hormone therapy for menopause that I had been on for about two months and the issue seems now to have calmed down, but I’m still going to get a workup at my primary care doctor, to look at the big picture.

Yes. I had the magnesium problem too. And also potassium.

It always amuses me how vegans get bashed for their long term deficiencies, while keto is held up as a much better option - yet I notice so much emphasis on electrolyte supplementation (keto-aid anyone? salt in coffee? etc. etc.) and I’ve noticed quite a few people having the kind of problems you listed.

I guess we all just have to make sure that we monitor these things enough to stop bad issues developing.

Let’s face it, anyone of us can get it wrong, or have additional health issues that throw a spanner in the works. The trick is to be willing to adjust things to get back on track.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #85

From what I understand, the key is keeping up sodium intake, to compensate for the higher excretion rate when we stop consuming carbohydrates. Apparently, when we are getting enough sodium (about 2-1/2 teaspoons a day of table salt), the body’s regulatory mechanisms also work to keep magnesium, potassium, and calcium balanced, as well.

(Wendy) #86

My experience has been eating enough salt helps but I still need to take in some magnesium or I get leg cramps. I don’t mess with potassium though.

(Bob M) #87

I personally get more satiation eating protein than fat. So, now I eat a higher protein, lower fat diet. It’s still keto, just not high fat. I rarely eat avocado, bacon, etc.Switched to shrimp, ham, beef liver, beef heart, lower fat meats. So, instead of eggs and bacon and avocado, I’ll have eggs and ham with olives. I eat way more than 2 eggs, though, usually 4-6 at a meal.

(Bob M) #88

The only thing I take is magnesium. And I’m not sure I need to take that.

(Bob M) #89

Oops, I “take” salt too, by adding a lot of it to my food. If I’m fasting, then I take more in.

Here’s what I see as the problem in this area. If you look at certain cultures living today, they don’t take in much salt (at least according to people who tried to gauge this). Does that mean I shouldn’t take in more salt than they take in?

If you look at the Comanches, the Inuit, I forget the African tribe that drank blood, they ate very low carb, but then there are other cultures, like the Kitavans that ate higher carb. Which one is good for me, as an insulin-resistant 50+ year old male with access to food year-round? And for my genetic profile (from Europe)?

And they you look at the Kitavans, and 70-80% of them smoke. Does that mean I should take up smoking, since they seem to have no heart disease?

The whole area is rife with people arguing about what these people ate, and whether it’s good for you. And that is viewed through your filter. If you’re Paleo Mom, you view it in a way that suits your needs. The same is said for vegans, vegetarians (those Inuits ate super high levels of vitamin c!) , etc.

I personally go for the way I feel. Eating a high carb, very low fat, near vegetarian diet did not work well for me. In fact, caused mood swings, depression, etc. Low carb and keto cured me of that. I tried Paleo too, but that caused large blood swings. For me, for right now, (a higher protein) keto is what I’m doing. If I find that I have to increase my carbs for some reason, then I will.

(Doug) #90

Indeed, Bob. Hey, if one is metabolically healthy, and is eating “higher carb” but not enough to mess up their hormones, then all may be well. That’s an increasingly rare thing now.

(Bunny) #91

Low insulin is not possible unless you don’t produce insulin at all? So how in the heck could you have low insulin? Insulin (stores fat) is not needed for the uptake of glucose by cells[transports] unless some one can produce some scientifically valid evidence to the contrary?

Carbohydrates beyond a certain threshold will not allow glucagon to co-exist with insulin harmoniously! IGF-1 comes in and burns up (body fat or dietary fat = ketones) the stored fat when insulin is not trying to store the fat and when cortisol and bad estrogens are low and not blocking IGF-1!

(Keto Travels) #93

Same for me, after an initial „bloat loss“ from cutting out grains, it just ended up in me maintaining my weight, same as the slow-carb diet before … until of course I discovered all the lovely paleo baking recipes, then I gained back every single pound I’d lost by cutting out grains. And while I undoubtedly got more nutrients this way than one would on a standard SAD diet, I have eaten „healthily“ in terms of food quality for almost all of my life, so that was not really my problem in the first Place. I did not feel better and did not see any improvements in my health other than being less bloated until I Went keto. I did not lose any significant amounts of weight until I added IF and recently EF to that. The quality of the foods I eat is up to Paleo standards in those scenarios too though :bacon:

(Mark) #94

Your protein won’t be 5%, but more in the 15-20% range. :wink: