Dr. Nowzardens 600lb life 1200 calorie diet?

(Heather Meyer) #1

So i am curious. I watch “my 600 lb life” and i noticed that every patient is required to lose X amount of pounds and he prescribes a,

1200 calorie low carb high protein diet.

…you just totally read that in his voice didnt
you?
Anyway i am curious about this. Why would he prescribe 1200 calorie diet to an over 600lb person? Why not 1500 or 1800?

Im 236 and my macros put me at 1500 to lose…so that would mean a person 600lbs should have no issue losing on a higher amount of calories. So why so low?

I love dr.now :slight_smile:

(Jenny) #3

I cant say why that amount. I can say the reason they restrict calories is to reduce the fat in the liver before surgery so the big fatty liver isnt as much in the way during surgery. if you Google, you can find the whole diet sheet online.
I love dr. Now!

Don’t forget, it’s a reality show…things may be rather different behind the scenes.
It could also be to see if they’re willing to go the distance and make them eat 3 meals a day (instead of stuffing their faces all day long). Maybe he has better experience with 1200 kcal, maybe he does it on purpose to quickly lose as much weight as they can, since so many are circling the drain…

My favorite quote “do you look like youre malnourished?!?” :joy:

(Laura) #5

Most of them seem to struggle, so maybe he knows they will eat more so he tells them a lower number. The one person this season had issues, so he told her 600 calories a day after 1200 didn’t work.

I do like how he holds them accountable and sees through their excuses.

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #6

I haven’t watched the show but the sad fact is that they probably are malnourished. We on Keto should know this. Due to excessive insulin in the body obese people frequently cannot access needed nutrition from the cell.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7

The amazing thing is they probably are!:confused:

I agree, but this was in the context of not sticking to the diet…they dont have higher levels of knowledge here

(Windmill Tilter) #9

It sounds kind of like a protein sparing modified fast (PSMF). 1200 cal might be necessary to hit a protein macro target given the estimated lean mass of the 600lb subject. That’s my guess.

I’ve done a protein sparing modified fast before and I think my Kcal target was like 800kcal when I was 250lbs, and the kcal target was based on hitting a specific protein macro.

This is what I found in the “my600lblife” subreddit

(Mel Simpson) #11

Dr. Now
And who are you…her enabler. Love it how there is no sugar coating!

(Ashley) #12

I’m not sure exactly how starvation mode works or what amount is right or wrong for someone. But if your 600lbs and are eating a high protein low carb diet my understanding is a lot of the fat they need is just coming from the fat on their body. Being a higher body weight maybe it’s possible to be at a lower calorie and it not be as detrimental? Honestly I don’t know, just know the saying, “fat on your plate, or the fat from that crispy creme a decade ago”!

Still won’t matter if they can’t access the fat due to high resting insulin. Being that they are low-carb is probably helping, but that’s still a ridiculously low calorie diet for people their weight. But this is a show that requires they get under a certain weight by a certain time or else they can’t get surgery, so there’s your ticking clock.

(Ashley) #14

My thought process was that if it’s short term there wouldn’t be any long lasting damage. I don’t know the timelines or how the show works! Your body is pretty adaptable to different amounts of calories and can move it’s resting metabolic rate based on how much you change things. I don’t think it’s a substainable strategy long term as you see “the biggest losers” who do it for long periods of time go back to their heaviest or heavier weight as they start to allow foods to be reimplemented.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #15

One of my all time favorite scenes put into a meme.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #16

Anyone have the displeasure of watching Steven Assanti (youtube fatboygetdown). Talk about no chance at life. Most ppl on that show I feel so bad for. But Steven is just…something else.

I agree, I was yelling at the tv during all three episodes, i felt dirty during those shots of him eating🤢…he’s a horrible, horrible man.

I know it’s tv, but they really made him look bad.

(Heather Meyer) #18

Im confused… are you saying he is a horrible man BUT they made him look bad? So he isnt a horrible man?

(Heather Meyer) #19

That was difficult to watch…very difficult. Wonder what his outcome was long term? Did he change? Improve? Get worse? Personally i would be more concerned about his mental status than his weight.

(Heather Meyer) #20

I wonder why no nuts? too much fat? or too easy to over-eat?