Dr. Atkins

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #21

@collaroygal Thanks. For reference, as I mentioned above I’m 76 years old, 145 pounds and 14-15% BF. Additionally, I’m also 6’ tall and I lose weight easier than gain. I must eat consistently within my daily maintenance window to maintain my weight. My original goal was 160 pounds, but I feel just fine at 145 and have been there long enough to accept it as my ‘new normal’ - actually my ‘original normal’.

I eat to fat:protein macros of 2:1 grams and 4.5:1 calories. Carbs are sub-15 grams and frequently sub-10 and once or twice a week sub-5. I do not feel weak but I’m certainly not going to pump iron any time soon. I think I get ‘tired’ instead of ‘weak’. I don’t know how eating carbs would be of any benefit. Then, I’ve always been relatively metabolically healthy, so I can understand that could make a significant difference overall.

I have a full-time job at Walmart, so I work 5 days per week there. My job requires me to be physically active - it’s a standabout, walkaround, lift/carry and interact with customers and other staff. Here, here and here, for examples. I’m generally very tired by the end of the day, and frequently totally exhausted by the end of a work week, especially if I have to work 4-6 days consecutive. I’ve had the job for 3 1/2 years and look forward to going to work both for the exercise and the interaction with customers and staff. I could otherwise easily become a sedentary recluse. I have a degenerated disc at the base of my spine which limits my flexibility and causes chronic pain. Moving helps keep me moving.

(Pat) #22

I am 69 kg and 4’11. According to the chart in the Atkins book I am obese. I would like to lose 10kgs and to be able to fit the to the clothes I wore before I put weight on.
I retired in 2019, I was 64 kg then. Previously I had been 62kg and active at work. I was a support worker and that involved a lot of walking and being on my feet most of the day.
When we retired we decided to do cleaning for an agency to keep us active. As the time went on our jobs dwindled especially when covid hit and now we only work once a week but we do go for a walk most days.
I have no problem eating low carb and I do keep track of them properly not just guessing a salad is low carb by looking at it.
The almond bread is homemade and works out to 1.3g carbs per roll of which I have one third at any one time so I wouldn’t have more than one roll per day if that.
The calories work out to between 1790 and 2000 per day.
The ginger ale stops me from having a gin and tonic.
It seems I have been eating too much fat and not enough protein.
I will cut down on the fat (I did up the amount for the diet) and see how that goes.
I wondered about the mushrooms as there are no carbs in the ones I eat.

(Pat) #23

I also have to keep tack of my husbands carbs and keep those low too. He’s so far lost just under 9kgs in 4 months.

wondering tho, did you do Induction Phase of 0 carb and eat only from the Induction food list?
See I don’t know ‘the New Atkins’, but I do know the old school first book, the first book he wrote in 1972 works :slight_smile: In that book you wouldn’t be eating any bread til maybe the last chaper in the book and that is a very long way thru the atkins journey, and only if you do well eating bread.

Key being Old Atkins when it came out does Induction Phase which is biological 0 carb and that is the elimination phase to begin and then the add back is very slow and methodical, if ya wanna really do that atkins correctly.

(Pat) #25

No I got the Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution published in 2003 which I think was his last.
I remember the old book in 1972 and attempted that one but didn’t stick to it. I can’t remember it being zero carbs though.
In the book I have I am following the induction list of foods but Dr Atkins says no more than 20 g carbs which should come mostly from salad and vegetables. Cheese is included in the induction list.

yea they are very different in a way

Induction from the original book actually written by him when this first started is 0 biological carbs for a week. The veg was 1 cup leafy greens or a pickle…choose one LOL The original atkins was very very controlled and precise. Espeically with climbing the carb ladder after Induction.

The new atkins is more just like a general low carb approach in a way ya know.

Google the old book. it has tons of just the best darn stuff in it :slight_smile: Original atkins might give you some
more info to help? wishing you the best!!

(Mark Rhodes) #27

Another thing to consider is lipedma This link has a very good definition and visual guide. Not all subcutaneous fat is the same . If after a good steady course of well formulated Keto things are not happening, then you might have to look into other issues. Lipedema is as far as I can tell part of a whole host of syndromes stemming from autoimmune issues. My wife’s HOMA-IR has been under one for over 2 years. It is certainly not insulin that is holding her back. Nor is it VAT. Her Trig/HDL ratio is 0.9. She does have an exceedingly high Mercury load and we are investigating the SMART program for amalgam removal. it was so high te county contacted us asking if there was a spill. “No, just in the fillings and food” I sadi. “Oh, then that’s okay” WTAF? anyway.

After 6 years of keto and 4 months of carnivore plus extensive fasting, my wife’s weight will not budge. However she has what appears to be Stage Two Lipedema. We have consulted with Karen Ashforth

I would follow the adivce of most given here. Keep Calm, Keto On. If however you do match one of the stages of lipedma your keto will not look like others.

Good Luck

When I was 69kg and 5’4", I never lost fat eating 2000 kcal (my diet didn’t matter. it never does, it seems) as it was too many calories for me (it was great to reach 69kg, I loved it. but that’s it, never could go below with that amount). And my metabolism was pretty okay, I simply wasn’t active or muscular enough to use more. Many women with my data would gain eating that much. So it’s possible you eat too much. But your protein should be fine if your 26% mentioned earlier was a normal day. I don’t need even that much protein - but it’s still better for me to go higher (oh I wrote about it already). So you can play with your macros a bit. Eating too fatty food (it’s individual what is too fatty, it matters what items we choose) raises my calories too much. Most protein works better, harder (impossible) to overeat… I still need much fat for calories so I need to find the right ratio. It’s not a fixed one at all but it’s better if I am careful with very fatty protein sources. And even more careful with carbs but many people don’t go somewhat crazy from them. I do.
Definitely don’t force some lower calorie intake on you, eat as much as you need. But with different food choices you may get satiated with less. Or not less but still better for your fat-loss for some reason. I don’t think you need to eat more, it’s true for some though… Unless you feel so, ideally our body tells us what it wants and it’s our body, it knows better than us if it works well… I just offer things to it, try things and it tells me if it likes me and I see on my numbers that I found some unusually satiating food or not at all…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #29

Good point, Mark, thanks.

And good to hear from you.

Just stay on “induction” indefinitely.

(Kirk Wolak) #31

There is a lot here that can affect things.
no carb dry ginger ale… If you are insulin resistant (and it sounds like it), drinking SWEET things just keeps the addiction alive, AND can cause an insulin release!

Personally, the brie and almond bread would have to go.
Also, I wouldn’t drink anything but water after dinner.
Finally, are you measuring your ketones? (If I blindfolded you… Could you drive to the store?)

I am amazed by the people who want to produce a SPECIFIC chemistry in their body, but they don’t know they should measure their Glucose and Ketones to determine how they are doing… (Driving blindfolded).

You may not have lost an ounce. But what if your glucose is down nicely? If you were just starting to make ketones? I find measuring these things to be incredibly important. Because, like you, I can go extended periods without losing weight. If I look closely, I will see my glucose is out of whack… And a few times, it was caused SIMPLY BY a stressful set of work events!!!

But how can I expect my body to be dealing with Stress… Providing me the brain energy to power through things, and somehow keep my glucose down?

Step 1. Keep At it. It’s not a straight line, and you have the rest of your life!
Step 2. Please consider Measuring your glucose/ketone levels, first thing in the morning.
Step 3. Experiment for 1 week of doing ONE change, and see how it impacts your numbers.

Unfortunately, Every Body is Different.
Read this post for some insights…