Don't Count Collagen as Protein

Yes - bone broth properly made has collagen - though not quick boiled type broth. It takes at least 24 hours of simmering the bones to extract the marrow AND requires some kind of added acid to the pot (vinegar, sour berry juice, lemon juice… maybe also rennet/intestines does the job, not sure…I use 2-4 tblsp lemon juice) - and the right kind of pot so the broth is not also extracting nickel or aluminum!

Other benefits? Well, it helps reduce cellulite, but it would be unscientific for me to say that what I can tell from my reduction of that is the collagen - was thinking it was just keto lol. I think it’s also further helped balance my hormones - as apparently collagen helps to balance insulin, cortisol, estrogen, testosterone, DHEA, melatonin, progesterone, and even HGH. And, I’d say that collagen’s anti-anxiety glycine seems to help me too - I always feel better in various ways after a winter mug or summer smoothie with it :sunflower:

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #22

Thanks Mary :slight_smile:

My bone broth was quick boiled by your definition, i’ll definitely have to invest in a tub!

(Dan Dan) #23

SF Lime Gelatin is my favorite source :wink:

https://blog.kettleandfire.com/gelatin-vs-collagen/

(Chris) #24

Costco has a chicken bone broth. 16.99 for 6 quarts. 9g protein per cup. Been playing around with it. I haven’t seen anything negative, it’s delicious with a little Redmond real salt added.

I’ve been on a keto/carnivore diet for about 14 months now. Little things like adding bone broth for minerals and collagen, and sardines for fats seems to not only keep things moving, but improving my health as well

Yep - I’ve added the sardines also & can only say that they’d better be good for my health :nauseated_face:. Thankfully most of the food is pretty dang tasty.

(Candy Lind) #26

But what is the ratio WRT calories? Fat is 9 kcal per gram & protein is 4, which STILL doesn’t quite compute as 2:1. I would ask how they came up with that, myself.

(Casey Crisler) #28

“I’ve been taking Collagen for about 2.5 months and it’s amazing. I take around 20g because I have severe muscle tone issues, limb pain and other nonsense. I can honestly say, that in that short time I know I’ll be taking it forever.”

Can you share the brand? I want to try collagen for my knees but want good quality stuff. I have -0 knowledge about this.

(Elaine ) #29

Hi! I take ORGANIKA enhanced collagen here in Montreal, Québec.

Well I’ve been taking collagen for two whole days & last night I broke a fingernail - clearly the whole experiment is a dismal failure!

Was my bird-flipping finger too :unamused:

Ceramic is great! So is glass. There’s a word for materials that do not conduct or interact with foods, but it’s escaping me at the moment.

Also, enamelware on stainless steel is great, and some is lightweight! Chantal uses light-medium metal base, Le Creuset though is enamel on cast iron, very heavy!

Cast iron is amazing but heavy weight (it releases highly absorbable ferrous iron into the broth if you use enough acidifier - but cast iron dutch ovens are really heavy!)

I think Nora Gedgaudus in her book Primal Mind Primal Body talks about looking out for the cheap metals used in the side handle screws of some stock pots, which then leach into the broth.

(Running from stupidity) #32

“Inert,” or more specific?

Amazon sells several grassfed non-GMO collagen brands that are economical compared to the highend boutique paleo types. I’ve used both of the below, depending on what’s available.

Anthony’s:

Zen Principle - the cheapest:

Thank you, that’s it, INERT. :smiley:

(Manda) #35

Unfortunately I realised I’m a 4 afterwards. Think it’s because I’m still new and have been lurking rather than posting. But what a 4 I am.

(Running from stupidity) #36

:slight_smile:

(Whitney) #38

Hi there! I’m relatively new to bone broth, and you sound pretty “experty” so can I ask a question? If I make bone broth with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a pressure cooker (instead of just on the stove top) for 2-4 hours, is that enough? It has a gelatin-like consistency when it is cool and tastes like a lovely, savory broth when warm. I’m just concerned that the 2-4 hours may not be enough, but I thought that since it is under pressure in a pressure cooker, it would be equivalent to an all-day boil… Any thoughts appreciated!

Hmmm, I don’t know much about pressure cookers. Seems like it’d extract the marrow much sooner though? If I were you I’d research online and find out the pros/cons on that technique - and then create a post here on the forum so we can all learn along with you! :blush: