Does your culture make it difficult to give up your favorite foods?

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #41

I love Shit on a Shingle but we made it with deli corned beef. Also grandma always makes this cheese ball rolled in freaking walnuts for every single party. And Hanky Pankys. Do you make them?

(Jane) #42

I googled and found 3 different recipes for this. Which one did you use? As in - do you know what site it is from?

TIA!
:grinning:

(traci simpson) #43

That’s great! I’m in VA and I see that you are in MD! we are almost neighbors.

(traci simpson) #44

Are we kin? :grinning:

(traci simpson) #45

DRESSING!

(traci simpson) #46

and I used one that I found on Pinterest but it’s pretty much the same thing.

I hear you, I am also Italian and grew up with my mom’s famous pizza lasagna pie with loads of carbs and homemade fresh ricotta. There is no explaining that I simply don’t partake anymore…but, with the tomato allergy I developed a couple years ago I have a more-valid-to-family excuse lol.

(Jennifer) #48

:raised_hands:t2::raised_hands:t2::raised_hands:t2:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #49

I have to say, in my case, “trigger” is absolutely the right word, and it is not an imaginary effect. I have some experience with addiction in other contexts, and it is clear that sugar and other carbohydrates are an addictive substance for me. Furthermore, since diabetes runs in both sides of my family (both type II and Alzheimer’s disease), it is well worth it to me to avoid the advanced glycation end-products from elevated serum glucose, as well as the inflammatory and fat-storing effects of elevated serum insulin.

I also know of no mechanism by which the body sends glucose into the muscles to be metabolized, as a priority over sending it to the adipose tissues to be stored as fat. As far as I know, insulin stimulates both processes, and it is a matter of chance whether a given glucose molecule will reach muscle or adipose first.

(Bunny) #50

I wonder if it can really be avoided completely? Similar to Lectins, they cannot be avoided only minimized?

[1] Animal-derived foods that are high in fat and protein are generally AGE-rich and are prone to further AGE formation during cooking.[3] However, only low molecular weight AGEs are absorbed through diet, and vegetarians have been found to have higher concentrations of overall AGEs compared to non-vegetarians.[4] Therefore it is unclear whether dietary AGEs contribute to disease and aging, or whether only endogenous AGEs (those produced in the body) matter.[5] This does not free diet from potentially negatively influencing AGE, but implicates dietary AGE may be less important than other aspects of diet that lead to elevated blood sugar levels and formation of AGEs.[4][5] …More

[2] image Fig. 1. Formation of advanced glycation end products in vivo. Endogenous formation of advanced glycation end products has been described by three different paths in vivo : the non-enzymatic Maillard reaction, the Polyol-Pathway and lipid peroxidation. During all three reactions, formation of AGEs occurs over formation of reactive carbonyl compounds, such as glyoxal, methylglyoxal and 3-desoxyglucoson. If detoxification is impaired, they are able to react further until the formation of irreversible AGEs …More

[3] Advanced glycoxidation and lipoxidation end products (AGEs and ALEs): an overview of their mechanisms of formation: Advanced lipoxidation end products (ALEs) and advanced glycation end products (AGEs)

Here is one possible mechanism I’m aware of? (Note: “healthy person” in the image below?)

[1] “…Insulin combined with low energy status will promote the uptake of glucose in skeletal muscle over adipose tissue and will promote the oxidation of glucose rather than its incorporation into fat. …” …More

[2] ”…Carbs are wired to get soaked up by the pancreas when blood sugar rises above the normal fasting level once the liver has taken its share to replete hepatic glycogen, whereas fats are wired to go primarily to the heart and muscle when those organs need energy and to go primarily to adipose tissue otherwise. The combination of circulatory routes and the relative expression of glucose transporters and lipoprotein lipase by different tissues likely directs fat to the pancreatic beta-cell as a source of ATP only during extreme hyperglycemia or when it exceeds adipose storage capacity due to obesity, insulin resistance, or very high-fat meals. …” …More

[3] “…Since the first metabolic priority for ingested carbohydrate is glycogen replenishment, I can, in this setting, consume probably somewhere between 60 and 120 gm of carbohydrate following this ride and stay in ketosis. Why? Because those carbohydrates are prioritized to replenish my glycogen stores AND I am highly insulin sensitive. Note the AND in this last sentence. (The especially astute reader will realize some of this glycogen debt will be replenished by protein and glycerol, the latter of which is liberated by lipolysis – see post on fat flux for a primer). Clearly I didn’t consume this amount of carbohydrate on my daughter’s birthday, so why was I out of ketosis the next day? Because my glycogen debt was not high. Of course, I knew this and didn’t really care. But, if I know my wife wants to go out for sushi one night, and I know she’s going to make me eat a California roll, I can “rig it” such that I show up to dinner with a glycogen debt appropriate enough to enjoy them without significantly interfering with my liver’s BHB production. …” …More

(Ketoviking) #51

But seriously!:roll_eyes: My mother is the same way except passively. She just gently keeps pushing the mac n cheese or mashed potatoes towards my corner of the table. She gets that I’m doing KETO but thinks holidays especially I should do as the Romans.

Stuffing/dressing - I’ve seen keto versions that I want to try

Jello salad (with pineapple, cranberries, etc. made with cherry jello) - no known substitute that could come close

Pumpkin pie - have seen some amazing looking substitutes - some look better than the original!

Mashed potatoes - I’ve seen some promising cauliflower substitutes

(traci simpson) #53

Let me know if you like the bread. I’ve been looking for a nice bread. I made Keto Bread the other day with coconut flour an egg and some baking powder and butter. It wasn’t bad but the nut flours are so dense. I wish I knew how to add more…??? to make it fluffier.

(traci simpson) #54

Have you tried these:

INGREDIANTS:

Liquid Egg Whites, Organic Coconut Flour, Water, Blanched Almond Flour, Organic Psyllium Husk Powder, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Avocado Oil, Starch-Free Baking Powder, Himalayan Salt, Yeast.

I was comparing ingredients with the THINSLIMFOODS
:

(Edith) #55

I’m in Northern Virginia. I’m another neighbor. :grinning:

(Paul H) #56

I would like more recent reviews on the Fox hill products… they sound good… Haven’t gotten my bread yet. but, will post when I do… If making your own try whipping the egg up more to add some air/fluffyness…lol…that’s not a word but you understand…lol whipping up the liquids should add more air pockets.

(Running from stupidity) #57

Yeah, but it’s not killing her like you eating bread is killing you.

(Jane) #58

Moms have the guilt trip down pat.

I try to refrain based on personal experience

(traci simpson) #59

Hey awesome! we should have a Northern VA MEAT up~ Coffee-up.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #60

Your family always knows how to push your buttons, because they installed them!