Does this sound like a thyroid problem?

hypothyroid
thyroid
health

(Bunny) #21

Was reading your post and was wondering what kind of salt you use?

Resources:

[1] iodine patch test: The iodine patch test is a test where doctors paint a patch of iodine on your skin and check how it looks 24 hours later. For those who are not iodine deficient, the patch fades no sooner than 24 hours. But a deficiency will likely cause the iodine to be absorbed into the skin more quickly. This test is not the most accurate, but it’s inexpensive and relatively quick. …” …More

[2] Thyroid dysfunction following a kelp-containing marketed diet

[3] Dr. Westin Childs: “…It’s important for you to understand, as the patient, that there are different types of thyroid diseases and that these different types of thyroid diseases cause different hair loss patterns.

image link

In addition, the treatments for these conditions are also sometimes very different.

Just to illustrate this example, consider the difference between hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism.

Hair loss in hyperthyroidism is typically treated by REDUCING thyroid hormone production by taking thyroid blocking medicines or by ablating your thyroid gland.

This results in DECREASED thyroid hormone and reduced stimulation on hair follicles and finally hair growth.

In hypothyroidism, on the other hand, hair loss primarily stems from decreased thyroid hormone stimulation on hair follicles (1).

This problem is treated by giving the patient MORE thyroid hormone in the form of thyroid medications (such as levothyroxine/Synthroid/NDT/etc.).

These medications INCREASE thyroid hormone and balance hair follicle stimulation and result in hair growth.

Okay, now that you understand this, we can talk a little bit about thyroiditis and how that differs from other thyroid diseases such as hypothyroidism. …” …More

[4] “…Iodine is a trace element present in the earth. Unfortified sea salt contains only a small amount of iodine. Still, it’s hard to determine precisely how much iodized salt contributes to an individual’s iodine levels. Iodized salt in the U.S. contains 45 micrograms of iodine per gram of salt. …” …Mayo Clinic

[5] “…At present, the only physiologic role known for iodine in the human body is in the synthesis of thyroid hormones by the thyroid gland. Iodine from the diet is absorbed throughout the gastrointestinal tract. Dietary iodine is converted into the iodide ion before it is absorbed…” …More

image links

[6] “…An iodide ion is the ion I−.[2] Compounds with iodine in formal oxidation state −1 are called iodides. This page is for the iodide ion and its salts, not organoiodine compounds. In everyday life, iodide is most commonly encountered as a component of iodized salt, which many governments mandate. Worldwide, iodine deficiency affects two billion people and is the leading preventable cause of intellectual disability.[3] …” …More

[7] The Relationship between Thiocyanate and Iodine Publisher Summary: Thiocyanate is a competitive inhibitor of the sodium iodide symporter (NIS) at thiocyanate levels normally found in blood. Thereby, it worsens iodine deficiency by inhibition of thyroidal iodide accumulation and by inhibition of iodide transport into breast milk for infant nutrition. Exposure to thiocyanate corresponds to a decrease in iodine intake. Cessation of smoking, reduction of industrial pollution and improved diet will reduce the role of thiocyanate in thyroid disease. Large amounts of thiocyanate are generated in people with a high intake of cyanide from tobacco smoking, from cyanide in food, or from industrial pollution of the environment with cyanide. In individuals exposed to high levels of thiocyanate, adverse effects may be prevented by an increase in iodine intake. In areas of low iodine intake, thiocyanate exposure increases the risk of dvelopmental and other iodine deficiency disorders. As the overall effect of thiocyanate is to hamper utilization of iodide, the main effect of thiocyanate is to worsen iodine deficiency. By this mechanism thiocyanate is one of the most important environmental compounds influencing the occurrence of thyroid disease. …”

[8] Lithium and Iodine…COMPETITION FOR ABSORPTION IN THE GUT (why you gain weight?[1]): “…Lithium has an impact on thyroid hormone production because it competes[1] with IODINE for uptake from the GI tract [Gut]. To avoid the competition[1] take Lithium Orotate 2.5 mg orally but paint Lugol’s Iodine on your abdomen at night and cover it with a piece of saran wrap to prevent evaporation then remove the saran wrap in the morning. By supplementing in this manner the Lithium is swallowed and the other [Iodine] is absorbed through the skin [TRANSDERMAL] and this reduces competition. It’s worth adding as well that the test for iodine deficiency is discovering how long it takes for the iodine “patch” to disappear. If it disappears in less than 24 hours, you need iodine. BEFORE adding iodine, make sure your Selenium and Magnesium levels are adequate or it will compete[1] with them and you will be worse off. …”

[9] Lithium Orotate (can be transdermally absorbed through the skin): “…But the use of lithium for therapeutic use goes back to ancient Greek and Roman times. People enjoyed soaking in alkali springs to help with physical and mental illness. People have been using mineral springs for therapeutic use ever since. Lithia Springs in Douglas County, Georgia was so popular that people came for miles just to drink the water. Litha Springs poster 1988. The Sweet Water hotel, a luxury 500-room resort was opened in 1887. And attracted famous authors, business people and prominent politicians who came for the spring’s health benefits. The name “Lithia” stems from water rich in lithium. …” …More

[10] “…There are many good things that can be said about lithium. It’s a naturally occurring salt, and has been in use for thousands–that’s right, thousands–of years. Native Americans were well aware of the beneficial effect of drinking water from lithium springs, and sent their own mentally ill to take the cure at these bodies of water. You can spot several place names on a US map, such as Lithia Springs in Oregon, indicating that European settlers also quickly grasped the curative value of this water. Despite this long history of casual use as a remedy for emotional distress, lithium was not discovered by modern medicine until 1949. An Australian doctor was the first to figure out its usefulness for patients with manic depression. It was approved by the US Food and Drug Administration in 1969. …” …More

[11] Potassium iodate and its comparison to potassium iodide as a blocker of 131I uptake by the thyroid in rats.

[12] 3 “Healthy” Habits That Could Be Hurting Your Thyroid Gland

('Jackie P') #22

Shocking😕

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #23

Thank you for all this information @atomicspacebunny :kissing_heart:
This is interesting about the different types of hair loss…even though I’ve noticed what I thought to be all over hair loss, at one point I could actually pull strands and strands of hair from the front of my head. All my tiny fringe hairs along my hair line came out with one pull :scream: which is why I’ve got lots of spiky regrowth now…when I part my hair at the front I can see hairs growing back…

I use a mixture of Cornish Sea Salt crystals and Himalayan pink salt.

(Bunny) #24

Maybe try iodized table salt and see what happens?

More sea foods?

A little kelp in the diet maybe, but just a little not too much?

Try the two [1], [8] Iodine patch tests mentioned above and see what happens?

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #25

Definitely worth a go - I did read that too much kelp could be a problem too…
I’ll have a look online for some iodized salt!
Thank you! :kissing_heart:

(Ellen ) #26

I’ve battled fatigue and depression for about a year, maybe more, weight gain (why I was brought to keto), and very dry skin. I finally had blood work done and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. The doctor will be putting me on medication after my thyroid scan next week. I’ve been researching the diagnosis and the medication like crazy. Came across a lot of information regarding iodine as @atomicspacebunny was saying. For a long time I have used sea or kosher salt, so yesterday I went out and bought some regular iodized salt. I also hope I didn’t do this to myself! My Vitamin D levels were low too. It really struck me when you said this organ causes so many problems when not working right, I’d been thinking the same thing all week. I’m so glad you started this thread. You’re helping so many people with this discussion.

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #27

Oh my goodness it sounds like we’re in exactly the same boat. Glad I could be of help!
Just like you my skin is a mess at the moment - I have this awful rash around my neck that I get every now and then but won’t budge…I had to go to the doctors a couple weeks ago to get a steroid cream for a swollen rash on my eyelid that wouldn’t go away (in fact it’s still there).

Have you experienced any ached and pains?

I’m so glad you’ve been to the doctors and have been put on the right path.

Going on Amazon now to look for iodized salt! :+1:

(Ellen ) #28

I do get aches and pains Clare but I’m also 64y/o, so I’ve been blaming it on getting older. The aches go away when I start moving. The aches aren’t debilitating so I’ve still been on the treadmill and able to lift some weights to keep strong. I hope you get answers soon and feel better. Please keep us updated. I now know so many people with thyroid problems. All say it’s easily treatable…at least there’s that. Good luck.

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #29

It’s so easy for us to blame our symptoms on other factors, I know I’ve done this over the past few months. Looking forward to getting some answers as I developed another symptom over the weekend. Will definitely keep you updated.
That’s so brilliant that you’re still able to keep active and carry on with your exercise! :blush::blush:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #30

You can just but it very cheaply at any grocery store Clare. Morton’s is the common brand in America and it’s what almost everyone who doesn’t use Himalayan or Sea Salt. However iodized salt isn’t the best source for iodine as there are a few variations, some are better utilized. Also iodine easily dissipates into the air . If the iodized salt has been sitting around for a while it’s likely it no longer contains viable amounts to help you. This is a more effective route to iodine supplementation

:cowboy_hat_face:

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #31

Thank you for this!
I didn’t have much luck finding any salt in the end…they all had anti caking agent and I wasn’t sure I wanted that in my salt!
I’ll have a look for this kind on Amazon. I did also think it was worth waiting for my blood test results before I start supplementing?

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #32

Ok so I saw my doctor this morning - unfortunately they’re in the process of updating their computer systems so they weren’t able to get all of my blood results - she had a handwritten piece of paper with some notes written on where they called over partial results yesterday afternoon.

I was told that my kidneys aren’t functioning properly - I was not expecting this, now I’m deeply concerned about my potassium supplements. I had to have more blood tests done to get more answers. I never had a chance to ask about the thyroid tests as I was ushered straight to the nurse to get my blood test done and I didn’t see the doc again!

I really don’t want to sit here at work all day now I’m too worried :sob:

(Susan) #33

Aww =( I am so sorry, Clare. I hope that everything will be okay, I know it must be stressful and difficult waiting to know what is going on, I would be very uptight and worried too. I am hoping for the best for you, take care. Hugs.

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #34

Thank you. I’ve come home from work. I can’t sit there all day and worry!

(Ellen ) #35

Oh Clare I’m so sorry you’re going through this. I know that feeling of waiting for answers and the worry involved. Yesterday’s thyroid scan showed nodules on my thyroid. I have to wait for next Monday’s doctor appointment to find out what they’re going to do about it. Gosh I hope you’re okay. I have to go to work now myself. Deep breathing. You’ll have answers soon.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #36

Awww @ClareBear. And @Ely. Hugs all round. :kissing_heart::kissing_heart:

(hottie turned hag) #37

As an obsessor, I feel you. Being given partial data drives me crazzeeee :crazy_face:

What did the doc say, exactly, re: renal function?

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #38

Right back at you Ellen :kissing_heart:
They were really quick fitting me in after yesterday’s blood tests so hopefully they won’t leave me waiting too long. I’m glad you’re getting some answers!

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #39

Ugh same here…the not knowing all of it is the worst bit!
I barely even got that information to be honest…was just told that my kidneys weren’t working as they should do - she didn’t even have the results yet of my thyroid. It’s all driving me a bit bat sh*t crazy now!

(hottie turned hag) #40

Ok so she said just enough to freak you out but not enough to explain what’s up. Ergh. :neutral_face:

Being dehydrated can cause some wonky renal numbers so it may be nothing more than that!

Is your urine output volume normal and appearance normal? Pale? Clear?