Does this look OK?

newbies
fasting

So I’ve just started with keto + IF. I’m not overweight or unhealthy, I just wanted to try this out for the amazing health benefits I’ve been reading about. My only concern is if the type of food I’m conuming is enough in terms of vitamins, minerals, fiber etc. Is it necessery to implement broth or collagen since I’m doing IF (16-8) aswell?

So this is the list of food I’m eating:
Proteins:
Chicken breast
Eggs
Sardines
Beef
Fish
Pork

Fats:
Feta cheese
Olives
Extra virgin olive oil
Avocado
Walnuts
Virgin coconut oil

Greens:
Cabbage
Broccoli
Kale
Asparagus

Supplements:
Apple cider vinegar
Cod liver oil
Vit D
Magnesium

My daily intake is around 2500 kcal, with 70-80% fat and 20-30% protein.

That all seems fine in a very general view. Only thing that stands out to me is you are going with Chicken breast rather than, say, thighs and you didn’t specify skin on or off, but honestly that’s typically fine too if you are hitting your macros that way / if you need a larger amount of protein than fat for that (I’d still suggest skin on myself, but it’s not absolutely necessary or anything).

I’d say get yourself a decent food/ nutrients tracker, and a simple enough food scale if you can, and put in the exact amounts of what you eat and track for a couple weeks at least, to have more confidence you really are hitting your desired macros and at least some of the micro nutrient needs (usually tracking sodium and other salts to make sure you get enough is key early on).

Also, you probably have, but make sure you read up on magnesium supplements and that you are getting ones that your body can use better. For a long time, the easiest to get weren’t really absorbed by the body very well (though they may have been pretty decent for helping with digestion, which is probably more of what they were designed for). I personally go with an electrolite capsul that has a mix of salts, like ReHydr8, and take it with water a few times a day, or a couple if I’m feeling symptoms that seem like deprivation of some salt is coming on (which probably wouldn’t happen if I was keeping up with tracking my salts better as I used to).

EDIT:
As for broth or collagen: Necessary? No. If you are getting what you need otherwise, you don’t need anything else (there are no “required products” in keto). Broth is often helpful for getting electrolites and maybe a bit more protein, and I personally like it for making some nice, easy soups that last, but again, nothing is absolutely necessary, there’s just different options for helping. Collagen I’ve never used, including doing IF, so, again, not necessary. If you want to use either or after tracking you see you are missing something that they provide, go ahead and try them.

(Bob M) #3

From my perspective, collagen peptides are one of the only things I’ve tried that has value.

I think broth also can have value, such as helping with the biome and repair of the same. Having said that, I haven’t been great at broth, but I’m trying to get better.

For nuts, just watch what happens when you eat them. If you’re like me, and you can eat the whole bag, then they probably aren’t great.

Your fats seem fine, although the only thing I personally eat from that list is olives. I will have olive oil sometimes, say on an infrequent salad. But I personally tend toward saturated or animal fats, so tallow (made from suet), ghee, butter, lard if you can find any you trust, dairy (A2 cheeses and foods, though some normal/A1 too).

But if you’re doing well, this seems like a great list.

Edit: Forgot salt. A lot of us need “extra” salt, as in adding salt to food. Sometimes, I even need to drink pickle juice or brine from olives.

looks ok to me LOL
what you ‘do eat off that list’ ya wrote I can’t say :slight_smile:

(KCKO, KCFO) #5

Looks like a good selection of foods.

Welcome to the forums.