Does Thiamine become low on Keto?

(Mark) #1

Hi have heard you become very low on Thiamine while on Keto? Should I buy and take a supplement?

(Todd Allen) #2

You can enter your foods into the cronometer website or free app and get a micronutrient breakdown. Tweak your diet as best you can to cover everything then do a little targeted supplementation as needed.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Red meat contains pretty much all of the B-complex, including a couple that are hard to get from other foods. Unless you are showing signs of thiamine deficiency, you should be fine.

I wondered this myself. The RDA is over 1 mg. It would take a lot of meat or fish to get that level. Asparagus has a good amount, and some nuts.

(Bob M) #5

Though I don’t eat asparagus or nuts and have no issues.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

Unless you are showing signs of thiamine deficiency, you should be fine.

P.S.—The U.S. National Institutes of Health say that 3 oz./85 g of braised bottom round beef contains 0.1 mg of thiamine. So 12 oz./341 g of bottom round would provide 0.4 mg of thiamine. But the same amount of bluefin tuna would provide double that amount. [edited to correct the arithmetic]

if every 3 oz has .1 wouldn’t that come out to 0.4mg at 12 oz?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

It’s certainly possible my arithmetic is off, sorry!

There is some sentiment among keto researchers to the effect that probably the reference ranges of many nutrients will need to be done on a ketogenic population, since the body seems to use certain nutrients and hormones much more efficiently in a low-carb, low-insulin setting. Not sure we can take this and run with it, but it does suggest that if we are not experiencing deficiency symptoms, we are quite likely to be doing okay.

Practise EOD?

Yes, I just made that up!

‘Every Other Day’ pop your supplement.

In fact, research what supplements/vitamins that should not be taken simultaneously, that you use, and pop them alternative days.

A happy medium, if you are worried about deficiency/ODing.

Beware vit A…go for a weekly meal of liver instead.