Does knowing someone is vegan color (or colour if you like that) your perception of them?

(Chuck) #21

I have friends that are either vegetarian or vegan. I look at it this way, each of us as individuals have to decide what is best for the individual. I love vegetables and fruit but also meat, all types of meat. I would not be able to survive without all types of real food, but I do great without fast food and processed carbs and other highly processed so called food.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #22

Admitting one is wrong appears to be directly contrary to the Zeitgeist. For example, on the U.S. political scene a few years ago, one of the worst possible accusations one could level against an opponent was that he or she was a “flip-flopper.”

You’d think that someone flexible enough to change his or her mind on the basis of the evidence would make a good government official, but apparently not. It would be funny, if it weren’t so sad (SAD, too, come to think of it).

(Allie) #23

No, they’re still very different individuals, some extremely militant about their beliefs, others more relaxed. I know many and used to be one.

One thing I won’t do though, is get into a diet debate with a vegan.

I like my vegan friends. They love animals in their ways. They know they can’t ‘win’ a nutrition discussion with me. I tell them that discussions aren’t a competition, they are a collaboration. I’m interested in what they would like to say. They are my friends and just happen to be vegans. My friends are kind. I like my vegan friends. I would colour them gold.

:joy: hahaha, AI is hilarious. I just popped over to Instagram and was served this vegan offering.

Yes, they do like to identify as their eating ethos.

The last sentences are like something from a wholesome kiddie book! I approve :+1:

(Robin) #27

Thanks, my feelings exactly.

(Todd Allen) #28

Does knowing someone is vegan color

Made me think of a woman I knew who was so into juicing she turned carroty orange…

(Brian) #29

I guess it depends on the “evidence”.

In my case, moving away from the “vegan is the way humans are supposed to eat” was based upon physical evidence that if I didn’t change the way I was eating, I was not likely long for this world. I was NOT getting the nutrition I needed and was obviously getting a lot of stuff (carbs) I didn’t need to keep piling in. Being an obese prediabetic vegan with a few other things cropping up, that kind of thing does tend to get one’s attention. It got mine.

I do recall, in some of my pre-keto travels, meeting a lady that was absolutely convinced that the healthiest diet she could eat was twice baked rice and nothing but. She was convinced that all of her nutritional needs could be satisfied with just that. It is difficult to look back upon that and not have questions about the sanity of such a conviction. In all other appearances, she was not an idiot. It’s just hard to know what to mentally do with such a person.

Yes, but I always give people to prove they’re not “those” kind before I make my final call on them, within reason. Plenty of normal veggies out there, but pretty rare to find a vegan that’s not in the hivemind cult of hatred. I’m sure some exist, I’ve just never come across one.

Why? I love a fight I can’t lose :wink: Plus after a few minutes they’d probably pass out from not grazing on something anyway, either way it’ll be over quick enough…

I had to google vegan OMAD. It’s apparently a big thing but no wonder as there are a lot of vegans and a lot of OMADers and no reason not to have a big subset of them…

Some of us like fights :slight_smile: Well, I used to wish for some shock but it was hard to get, vegans are a bit easier :wink: But most people aren’t like this, apparently. I always see from ketoers that they totally hide their diet even when asked, even from their doctor… I would love to point out the points where I go against the flow the most :smiley: Or point out how horrid would be to live otherwise… For me, of course, I never believed in the One True Way. Many people do and it’s not nice.

(Chuck) #33

I have to say something, I have seen people that believe in: keto, the Adkins , fasting, and who knows what ever other diet that does the something as vegan and vegetarians. I have been guilty of it too, so I say again we are all different and what works for the individual is what they should be doing. I also say it is already to explain what works for you but stop judging others for finding something different that works for them.

That’s true in most cases, except in the case of a Vegan, that doesn’t work for anybody, because when your WOE equal nutrient deficiencies that all lead to poor health, even in the case of people that go in for their quarterly IV infusions of everything they’re missing, take a million supplements, digestive enzyme to make up for the poor bioavailability of plant proteins etc… can you really say that works?

How’s that different from us all going back to eating SAD, and then it being a requirement to take Metformin nonstop as well as diuretics and anti-inflammatories? We’d be covering the carbs, reducing inflammation, keeping the blood sugar lower and dumping the excess water that we shouldn’t be storing, so you COULD say that works, but in reality that’s band-aid’s to damage we’re choosing to do in the first place.

People always judge, whether positive or otherwise. People are free to have their own opinions on anything. People have the right to do whatever they want, other people have the right to think whatever they want about it, sometimes they’ll agree, sometimes they won’t, and just like the person closing their WOE, that’s their right. Not a fan of the thought police. They can stay in books.

(Chuck) #35

I no longer judge people, take the stand I don’t want to be judged so I don’t judge. As for as nutrition goes you can get the nutrition you need, and there are doctors and nutritionist that even recommend being a vegetarian or vegan most specially for certain illnesses. So I disagree with your belief.

I once knew a guy from California who said to me he did not eat meat because it’s cruel to cows.

I asked him whether he thought that Jesus was cruel to cows.

He answered that he hated Christians and would kill all of them.

Not joking, either.

Yes, of course I judge.

You are free to think and say what you want. I am, then, just as free to draw my conclusions about you. We can’t just switch our brains off. We are supposed to have a system of values.

But when you judge, judge with right judgment.

Chuck, forgive me if I am confusing you with someone else, but I seem to remember that, around one week ago, you were the one thinking that it is the fault of the pharma and refined food industry that so many people were too fat and going to an early grave. This was - whether it came from you or not - a very harsh judgment, and a blanket one, involving thousands of people in the upper echelons of these companies (Board of Directors and executive management), in the sales and marketing departments, and in the R&D of these industries. These are all humans, people like you and me, and they probably read or write on some forum about what interests them in their lives. Again, I think it was you, I might be wrong.

The point here is that we can’t avoid having a system of values, and a view of the world, and draw our conclusions from that. It’s not only human, it’s logical.

Ah, but that is a frequent reaction in people with fair skin. It subsides after a few weeks and then it’s all fine :grinning:

I don’t want to go into juicing in a keto forum, but I did the juicing thing and found it extremely beneficial for me. Carrot juice in particular, of which I was (and still am) very fond. I could juice 7 kg of carrots in a weekend. Great detox, and great taste.

However, the problem is that the calories pile up very fast (it did not give me a sense of satiety proportioned to the calories ingested, so it was fairly easy to take on unwanted weight at least for me) and it’s not good for keto (1kg of juiced carrots is more than 40g of carbs).

A pity, frankly :grinning:

Last weekend I profited from my usual “carb weekend” to juice one kg of carrots.

Delicious.

Oh my, that’s a lot!
I didn’t like the taste (probably too strong flavor or it bothered me it wasn’t a fruit… I never liked any vegs in my juices and smoothies. not like I ever liked smoothies but I tried it out), I only put a tiny bit of carrot juice into my apple/orange juice (pretty!) - about once a year when I fancied juice :stuck_out_tongue: I always preferred chewing my fruit and while cleaning the juicer wasn’t as bad for me as for others, apparently, it was work I could do without… So it was an occasional treat and I enjoyed the hell out of my juice that was different from my normal fruits…
Mmmm, down in memory lane. It was so long ago. I didn’t use my juicer for years, only got it out for some grape juice making when even our silver birches were full with grapes (the sneaky quick growing lil ones of the neighbour climbed them)… I pressure canned the result as no way I could drink more like a thimbleful, we will see if it will be good for anything… Probably yes, I can imagine making grape jelly from it…

I did hear from people who loved carrot juice :slight_smile:

No shortage of nutritionists say the high carb low fat diabetes diet is great for us, so sorry. On the Vegan thing, it’s not debatable, nor is it opinion, without intentional supplementation, it’s nutrient deficient. They don’t have required nutrient intake in the foods they’re allowed to eat, it has to come from supplementation or fortification. So the fact they can do that and get it all, is irrelevant, as their diet itself is nutrient deficient and most of their protein sources are incomplete.

B12, Zinc that’s blocked from phytic acid, Bad forms of Omega 3’s, Iron, the list goes on.

https://www.saintlukeskc.org/about/news/research-shows-vegan-diet-leads-nutritional-deficiencies-health-problems-plant-forward

https://www.hsis.org/vegetarian-and-vegan-trends-pushing-more-people-into-deficiency-risk/