Does anyone eats 5 times a day? (or every 3 hours)

(Ritchie Linden) #1

I know this goes against the keto grain, but I was listing to the happy bodies guy on Tim Ferris’ (a huge keto advocate) podcast who was discussing eating every 3 hours to increase metabolism.

Recently I have been doing 16/8 IF 4 days a week, but come to a stall and I though I might give the 5 meals this a go, my plan is to eat circa 300 cals each meal and would look something like this mon/fri

6am BPC and boiled egg (290 cal, 1 net carb)
9 am bacon egg keto muffin (420 cal 2 net carbs)
12 1/2 thai prawn coconut salad (250 cal 5 net carb)
3pm 1/2 regular lunch salad (250 cal 5 net carb)
6pm 150g roast beef and an small avacado (350 cal 2 net carbs)

Total approx. 127g fat and 100g protein, for reference im 178cm and 84kg and fairly active, 20% body fat.

Would be grateful for any thought comments especially in anyone east like this.

Thanks
KCKO

Megan Ramos talks about mixing it up and my personal experience reflects this, so if you’re stalled, this sounds like yet another way to shock the body out of whatever metabolic state has resulted in the stall.

Just speculating based on personal experience, but I would only do this 1 to 2 days in a week since I think that’s all you’d need to shock the endocrine system into behaving differently.

The recent 2KD podcasts seems to be converging on the idea of feasting, especially fat-feasting, before a longer fast, so this might be something you’d do before starting something longer.

(Ritchie Linden) #3

thanks, i had just listen to the latest 2 keto podcast before the tim ferris one and the two kind of went hand in hand, hence why I’am asking here, I like the idea of only doing the feeding days a couple of days a week though. thanks you

I would be inclined to increase the size of meals rather than number. My reasoning for this is simply that digesting food takes a lot of energy and is not overly conducive to doing other things at the same time. Of course we do all the time but the European way of taking time to eat and resting afterwards has good grounding. The other thing is that every time you eat you impact blood sugar and less is better than more on this front.

Just my take. Try it and see what happens.

(eat more) #5

could you be stalled from not eating enough?

at an active 20%, 84kg your fat/protein and overall intake looks way too low to me…but that’s apparently my “thing” around here :joy:

i’d eat more and if you wanted to mix it up even further cycle your intake…a couple of higher days, then a lower day…if you’re genuinely hungry every 2-3 hours and can eat you’re more than likely not eating enough…

Eating frequently doesn’t spur metabolism. That’s one of the myths that proliferate.

What frequent eating does is occupy your body with digestion constantly and keep insulin levels higher.

I’ve found that when I stall, it helps to extend the time between eating rather than minimize it.

300 calories every 3 hours reminds me of when I did Body For Life several years ago. It got to where I was STARING at the clock and counting down the minutes 'til it was time to eat my little teeny tupperware worth of food. I wasn’t low carb at the time, so that might have helped. Although that feeling of hunger had me look for a better way, which led me to IF, which led me to keto. So I did get some good out of it. :slight_smile:

(eat more) #8

i did BFL too…i sucked at it :joy:
it did get me into the gym tho…and a now defunct forum.

i tried Eating For Life years later and sucked at that even more…went to Vegas and the first “off plan” bite of food and adult beverage i had blew me up like a puffer fish and i was miserable the entire trip (obviously i wasn’t eating enough lol)

(Jacquie) #9

Haha, I did BFL, too, but lc. :slight_smile: It was the first program I did and I got fabulous results. lol I’m an ectomorph with endomorph tendencies, so it was a bit hard to build muscle but I did with BFL. Every time I turned around it was time to eat. lol I found afterwards that I couldn’t sustain very long workouts without getting over trained. Now doing Body By Science (BBS - McGuff) and a bit of HIIT on the elliptical. That seems to work for now. :slight_smile:

Was it the “tracker” one by chance?

(eat more) #11

it was leanandstrong dot com (nothing there now)

(Cosimo) #12

Any science behind this? I used to eat 6 meals a day back when I was training intensively in the gym and doing HIIT cardio 4-5 times a week.
I lost a ton of weight and remember that I was burning food so fast that I feel hunger pangs if I didn’t eat for more than 3-4 hours.

(Bob M) #13

You’re fairly active and eat 1,500 calories a day?

I put your information into here, and I assumed you were 50 years old:

This comes up to 1,730 calories. That’s just to survive.

“Basal Metabolic Rate is the number of calories required to keep your body functioning at rest. BMR is also known as your body’s metabolism; therefore, any increase to your metabolic weight, such as exercise, will increase your BMR.”

I am always amazed at how few calories people are eating.

(Bunny) #14

Hmmmmm? Eat when you are not hungry?

Tricking Leptin & Ghrelin? Interesting concept?

Maybe you would have to get more exercise (HIIT) while doing this and get more sleep to torch fat for that basal metabolic rate thing to work?

Looks like you would really be generating ketones at a much higher rate from HGH through IGF-1 in the liver when fasting intermittently but Ghrelin would not take over because it is also a fat burning hormone trigger but both Ghrelin and Leptin decide if actual body fat will be burned or not be burned depending on the amount of body fat the metabolism has to deal with (anti-leptin resistance reward signaling exclusively through short burst HIIT type exercising?); HGH & IGF-1 do not work independantly of G & L? At least temporarily if your doing this 3 hour eating window 5 times a day thing twice a week? What I am trying to say is that this shock (increase) in the metabolism being talked about simply takes the foot off the HGH gas peddle allowing more insulin to be spiked along with a balance of glucagon[1] creating the browning (infusion) of white adipose tissue with iron rich mitochondria or insulin induced thermogenesis[2][3]; the more browned fat (BAT) you have; the more calories get burned up immediately (UPC-1) rather than allowing insulin to store calories directly as fat? Post-dietary goal weight maintenance?

Footnotes:

[1] “…Glucagon, a counterregulatory hormone to insulin, serves as a regulator of glucose homeostasis and acts in response to hypoglycemia. …However, **it is not known whether endogenous glucagon is involved in the regulation of brown adipose tissue (BAT) function. …” “…In conclusion, in this study, we demonstrated that endogenous glucagon is essential for adaptive thermogenesis and that it regulates BAT function, most likely through increasing hepatic Fgf21 production. …” …More

[2] Postprandial Oxidative Metabolism of Human Brown Fat Indicates Thermogenesis Published: June 14, 2018

[3] Summary: Scientists have discovered a direct link between insulin – a hormone long associated with metabolism and metabolic disorders such as diabetes – and core body temperature. While much research has been conducted on insulin since its discovery in the 1920s, this is the first time the hormone has been connected to the fundamental process of temperature regulation. Excerpt: “…The scientists found that when insulin was injected directly into a specific area of the brain in rodents, CORE BODY TEMPERATURE rose, metabolism increased, and brown adipose (fat) tissue was activated to release heat. The research team also found that these effects were DOSE-DEPENDANT – UP TO A POINT, the more insulin, the more these metabolic measures rose. …” …More

Ketones without Keto dieting?