Doc Nally's explanation of exogenous ketone usage for burning fat

(Adam Kirby) #1

A while back Adam Nally gave a lengthy defense and explanation for the use of exogenous ketones, even for possible burning of body fat. Now I understand that he has a conflict of interest in this area but he goes pretty deep into the weeds with hormones and stuff. Is there any validity to what he says here?

http://ketotalk.com/2018/04/107-guest-cohost-dr-adam-nally-exogenous-ketones-fat-burning-difficulty-getting-pregnant-high-ketone-side-effects-keto-adapted-high-carb-moderate-protein-vs-moderate-fat-for-weight-loss/

The discussion starts around the 42 minute mark and is LONG. The basic gist of what he says re exogenous ketones aiding the insulin resistant:

• enhanced leptin usage
  • overproduction of insulin is driven by fat cells, stimulating the liver to produce more glucose. Exogenous ketones dampen production of certain hormones from the adipose which contribute to this overproduction of glucose --> lower insulin

I’m really interested in the scientific validity of this claim. I’ve always has a reflexive response to the idea of exogenous ketones aiding fat-burning - “well obviously it’s bullshit” - but I’m prepared to re-assess my ideas about just about anything nutrition-related.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Leptin is produced in the adipose tissue, and it signals the brain that there is enough stored body fat to meet the body’s needs at the present time. The leptin signal can be overwhelmed by the insulin signal, which sends fat and glucose into storage, leaving the stomach to produce ghrelin as a hunger signal.

The insulin signal, as I understand it, is generated primarily by consuming carbohydrates, especially sucrose or high-fructose corn syrup. There is always a certain amount of insulin criculating in the blood (insulin has many jobs), but a high level of blood glucose cause the pancreas to increase the serum insulin, so as to drive the glucose out of the bloodstream and into the muscles to be burned and into the fat cells to be stored. I have never heard that the adipose tissue had anything to do with the insulin level.

his argument is mostly biochemically sound, but points are arguable. this will likely come down to individual variation and context.

if you want to try it out, try it out. the blanket condemnation of exogenous ketones is as dumb as the blanket claim they help burn fat by the MLM marketers

i use them frequently before “fasted” exercise because they eradicate hunger (for me) and make me feel like i can chuck the weights through the roof. I also use them while travelling for work and can help me to extend work induced fasting (because of schedule and lack of good options) for up to 116 hours so far.

YMMV

(Bunny) #4

As Mark Twain famously quipped, “The strongest coffee I ever had was a Laplander’s piss.” …More

(Doug) #5

Paul, we also can get quite resistant to leptin, which is a real bummer. Same bad effect - we feel more hungry.

It takes a couple steps, I think - fat cells get full of fat, and can’t take in any more, or only take in a tiny amount (physiological insulin resistance). The body thinks that the insulin level isn’t high enough to do its job, and secretes more.