Do you mix different proteins with your OMAD?

(M) #1

For those that do OMAD, do you mix different types of protein in the meal? Why or why not?

I’ve been eating mainly sockeye salmon but I really need extra fat. I stayed away from chinook salmon due to higher level of mercury but if it tests within an ok range I am thinking of adding an ounce or two of king salmon belly. However, anytime I’ve done anything unnatural to add fat to my meal I’ve gotten sick feelings. Back when I ate beef, I added tallow to it and felt unwell. I’m wondering if this would be kind of the same thing. It would be kind of unnatural in that the fat wasn’t really from the fish I was eating but a condensed form that might not sit well.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Does cooking with butter count as unnatural? What about a hollandaise sauce on your salmon? Would that be a problem? Presumably you are eating salad as well as your fish, so what about blue cheese dressing, or something else rich in fat? Does “pescatarian” in your case mean you eat fish and only fish, or do you eat other foods, as well?

I am quite unable not to eat multiple protein sources for any of my meals so of course I do that on OMAD too.
I would get bored if I tried to use just one, I would miss some of my staples and would eat later, ruining OMAD and I really like variety, I don’t even try to eat super simply.
And sometimes I need protein sources with different fattiness in order not to mess up my macros. In the beginning I only ate food with a similar fattiness but now I have some odd items and they need something else to balance them out.

Not to me. I fry my fish in lard :smiley: Not an option for you, I just say that even a very different animal’s fat is no problem to me.
But sometimes even I need something neutral, I use coconut oil or maybe butter then. It was long ago I ate salmon, it’s almost 100% sure I used coconut oil… But that is still not fatty enough for me, good thing I eat many other things like eggs and fatty dairy. I barely even use added fat for reasons so I need them.

Hi KetoPescatarian. I understand you eat fish, but not meat, but what about dairy? I always team my fish with generous dollops of butter. Prawns with eggs. Tomorrow I’ll try salmon and eggs and see how that works out. Sometimes a fish is fatty enough that it doesn’t require any added fat, I thoroughly enjoyed my canned mackarel for supper this night, it was a treat. As to mercury levels, I don’t think about such things, I eat the fish I like, but I don’t eat it all that often as I predominantly eat meat. Though tomorrow it will be eggs and fish galore as I’ve run out of meat, and it’s fine and taste delicious, fried in butter. Do you eat all manner of seafood? Oysters, crabs, prawns, mussels, lobster, etc? And do you eat any plant matter or just fish? Any vegetables or fruits you like? Avocado would team very well with fish I imagine.

More likely just fat overload, which would make most feel gross. Just cooking in a fat is one thing, but if you’re doing like some to, and just piling on fat for the sake of it, that’ll do it.

(M) #6

I need the fat. Currently going egg free. My inflammatory markers are high. We can’t figure out why. Currently I can get up to 80g fat with nuts and avocado. There’s only one way to gain weight on keto and that is an overload of fat I should think. I’d like to reduce the nuts a bit.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

What kind of “weight” are you hoping to gain, lean mass or fat? For the former, you’ll need extra protein to build muscle and strengthen bone (which is calcium in a bone matrix). For the latter, you’ll need quite a bit of fat, since up to a point, the body will rev up its metabolic machinery to cope with the extra intake.

Sustained caloric surplus, same as every other WOE. Fat will make it easier, or you could start upping your carb sources if you’re at 20g. Depending on how many nuts you’re eating, have that been considered as a possible inflammation trigger given how many react poorly to them, especially in larger amounts?

As @PaulL asked, what kind of weight are you going for? Unless you’re under-fat, which is a health concern, but one that typically doesn’t apply, you definitely want it to be muscle you’re adding and as it’s been said, that’s a protein and training focus.

Even for muscle gain, we typically need a calorie surplus and we can’t just eat a ton of protein for it. Protein gives us less energy, fat is more effective but actually it’s a moot point as protein toxicity is a thing and eating needless protein is wasteful (I wish I could avoid it)… So, lots of fat is needed. And using fish, it’s hard to get enough fat along the flesh of the animal. While I can buy pork with any amount of fat.

It seems fatty diary isn’t an option either and no eggs… Must be pure fat then. Or more nuts if the carb limit allows it…?

(M) #10

I would like to gain muscle but I need to gain fat too. I really can’t think or feel good without a lot of fat and yet I struggle with digestion and reflux. My reflux is hernia related. There was a time I was stupidly eating nothing but peanut butter, however the macros of it worked perfect for me. It was 2x fat to protein ratio (50g protein 100g fat or so). Even on just 1200 calories of it, I built muscle and felt good. Perhaps the peanut butter was easier to absorb than the fish protein? I don’t know why this would be. I do not want a diet of peanut butter anymore. I need b12 and vitamin A, and peanut butter on top of the other food doesn’t feel good for some reason.