Do you have basic 'Keto Rules/Guidelines' you follow?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #41
  • Fear all addictive substances (drugs, alcohol, sugar, carbohydrate)
  • Carbs under 20 g daily, but fat is my friend
  • Real, whole foods–if Grandma or Nana couldn’t identify all the ingredients in it, don’t eat it
  • Don’t eat until hungry, stop when no longer hungry, snack on fat when necessary
  • Ignore the scale, don’t count macros, don’t count calories, don’t go hungry (eat more, move less)

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #42

Add to mine

I don’t drink calories, fat or otherwise. Exception very rarely these days red wine.

(Bella) #43

Yes Juice, totally agree.
Like many people the rubble in the tummy is the red flag to eat. Its how we have been conditioned.
After many years of yo yo dieting, eating several small meals a day and all the other stuff the food industry recommend to keep us hook on sugar and bad foods because being hungry was making them rich and me deflated, depressed and desperate. I stoped and took a good hard look at the past and when I was fit, slim and healthy. Remember the days when we were out playing, or in our teens just too busy to eat, grab an apple or wait till dinner time because there was no time, or money. Eating was more intuitive and a hunger was tolerated until one of the 3 meals times.
My point is I took time out to really look at what being empty of food really is and yes it took me a long time to get here and I’m still learning. Pushing the hungry window is working for me, not everyday but the control over the fear is wonderful and it shows in my skin, my improved mental wellness, balanced hormone levels and a return to real love of good food.

(Bella) #44

Hi,
INTERMITTENT FASTING - is the only thing working for me on every level and I find it easy and flexible.

(Bella) #45

Totally.
the scales are not the whole truth and can be obsessive and negative.

“Perfection is the enemy of progress”
I hear that

(JJ) #46

Interesting read. I love that everyones approach is tweaked to suit them and their own lifestyle, that’s what I love about Keto- you make it work for you.

After 5 months keto here are my five personal rules that work for my lifestyle:

1. LOVE what I eat. Like the Marie Kondo of the eating world, if it doesn’t being me joy and a mouthgasm, I would rather carry on fasting rather than eat just for the sake of eating.
  2. Sometimes I am hungrier, meaning I will eat more some days, less others. It all comes out in the wash.
  3. Green veg- go wild.
    4.Don’t eat the chocolates that patients give to me as gifts. Ever. It’s a mighty slippery slope where the Lindt balls just keep on rollin’.
  4. Controversial perhaps, but log everything. For me, it works. I am at goal now, will just keep on logging until I don’t feel that I want to.

Yeah, I get that. Because if you quit the junk food they’re all supportive of your newfound “healthy eating” lifestyle. But bread is healthy and sacred and so normal. It’s just their ignorance of what happens to the bread after you stick it in your mouth. (hint: amylase turns it into glucose)

I have found myself obsessed with learning a new thing several times in my life. I will put a lot of time into learning about it on my own through reading, practice, trial and error. I do indeed get mildly irritated when someone comes along and says “Cool! Write me a step by step guideline so I can do it too!” Not only does this cheapen what I’ve put into it, but it reduces the value of learning about it for them, too. When handed to them in a neatly typed format, 99% of the time, they lose interest…fast.

I’ve had this happen with keto, making my own liquid for vaping, learning different ways of traveling…just off the top of my head. If the real desire to do it is there, in a way that it will actually stick, they need to learn it for themselves. If it makes me a jerk for not being “helpful”, well, I’m a jerk. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy to discuss, but I have found over the years that doing it for them is a waste of time.

Well said Maisri, and basically what I said in my original post above. Seems the easier you make it for them, the less likely they are to stay with it overall, or understand it. … And I do love helping folks, but it’s those that come out the gate showing no desire to do any research on their own that give me that feeling that it’s not worth me wasting time, knowing what the outcome will probably be in the end.

Those that grasp the concept and run with it, usually appreciate it and get my continued support. :slight_smile:

I remember the resistance I had from my still-smoking friends when I quit smoking…some were supportive, some made me feel like they were just waiting for me to fail…
It is probably a mixture of everything: psychology, shock, ignorance, old habits, old school,etc.

Try quitting drinking and you’ll see the same thing, or worse, actively trying to sabotage you so you come back into the fold.

(hottie turned hag) #52

THIS :orange_heart:

See I get bothered by those who tout absolutes; having extensive (27 years) med sci background I am aware of how strongly individualized and idiosyncratic biochemistry can be. There are no absolutes in medicine. The better docs realize this and modify tx on a case by case basis; the lesser ones blindly follow protocol.
Surely the same principle applies here: what works great for me may fail miserably for you. Individual biochem status/reactions are oft underconsidered.

There are many ways to do this keto thing; though I enthusiastically state how well my way works for me, I try to always also state that it may not be so great for you and to try different methods until you hit on the one that suits.

That has happened to me, as well…I stopped offering advice and just let others do their own thing - if they arent in it for a good strong-enough reason (health, weight, whatever reason made us stick to it and decide this is what is best for us) they will avoid carbs for 2 days and then end up deep in a bag of chips. I choose not to discuss keto whenever someone treats it like a new fashion statement - im like a protective momma bear :joy: “what did you say about my keto?”:joy:

Had that experience, as well…but it ended quickly because i used the “my dad was an alcoholic” :joy:

I use “my dad is a diabetic”. :grin:

I do that too :joy: i hit the genetic jackpot with my dad :joy:

(traci simpson) #57

Definitely struggling with that one.

(traci simpson) #58

Today I actually had a heated discussion about how my co-workers puffy Cheetos was more nutritious than my cool whip. He said his had 1 gram less carbs. I’m looking at a bag on line right now and there are 15 grams per serving so I don’t know what kind of Cheetos he was eating!

(Troy) #59

Cheesy Science on there behalf.:slightly_smiling_face:

(traci simpson) #60

Lol. Pun intended!