Do you have basic 'Keto Rules/Guidelines' you follow?

(Scott) #21

My rules are very simple

1. Limit carbs to <20g
  2. Rule number 1. doesn’t apply to beer or wine
  3. Limit carbs to <50g to make room for rule number 2.

This came up this weekend at almost every meal. I am very strict on carb intake. When the Nothing Bundt Cake came out all wanted me to eat it and I politely refused. Then came the assault of “but you drink beer” “you drink wine” followed by “a little bit won’t hurt you”. Same later with sweet potatoes. It is just how I roll. I have significantly cut back on my beer because of keto but one most days.

(Jody) #22

This is my favorite advice.

(KCKO, KCFO) #23

Well, I don’t feel like I have a keto/lchf set of rules. My daily guidelines are:

1. No processed carbs
  2. Wine and dark chocolate as much as I want
  3. No grains, I need to use my hands daily.
  4. If weight starts up, fast for an extended period. Keep calm and fast on.
  5. Focus on all the lovely things I can eat not what I can not. Keep calm and keto on.
  6. I don’t exercise, I play with weights and walk to enjoy nature.

Now working on my third year of maintenance doing this, 4th year of keto/low carb, healthy fats WOE.

(Not a cow) #24

Some of my rules for living the Keto lifestyle :slight_smile:

1. Live life to the fullest, except when you are eating, and then live life to the thinnest.
  2. You are what you eat, so fast as often as possible to get that reversed.
  3. Food offered at work = Candy offered by stranger
  4. Weekends WERE for partying.
  5. No sugar for you

(Carl Keller) #25

I have a few rules:

1. Eat real food
  2. Avoid sugar and starch
  3. Quit snacking
  4. Develop a good relationship with your hunger. Make the right response at the right time.

(Troy) #26

Simple for me guidelines
No alcohol
No sugar
No starches

In addition
When asked about my WOE or in any related conversation, health or the way I look.I politely state the above
I rarely ever mention the word KETO Or LC these days
The above eliminates about 99.36% of the population
and talks😄

IF any interest is sparked
I will Kindly say carbs less than 20g as a guideline

And “ roll with it “…or let’s chat

A quote to remember! :slight_smile:

(Raj Seth) #28

Solved it for all
“IM” - Intermittent Masticating
Cousin, once removed, to IF - Intermittent Fasting

(traci simpson) #29

My boss just walked around offering ice cream sandwiches! my favorite and I said No thank you and didn’t even think twice!

:face_with_monocle: good job :slight_smile:

:muscle:

(FRANK) #32

Thank goodness. I was thinking about something totally different… and thinking that’s allowed on keto? Never thought that was a WOE!

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #33
  1. Carbs under 20 g daily
  2. Whole foods
  3. If I can’t identify the ingredients in it by looking at it, don’t eat it.
  4. No snacking
  5. Eat until full when eating
  6. Be prepared, think ahead
  7. If I don’t know the carb count assume it has 1,000 g carbs in it

(Lisa) #34
  • List item

Try to keep it under 13 g daily, but I won’t freak out if I go over.
No sugar
Eat only when hungry, sometimes that’s OMAD , sometimes it’s 2.
This is my WOE/WOL, I don’t care what others think of it.
I review menus online before going to a restaurant so I know what options I have and adjust accordingly.
I don’t feel guilty if I choose to indulge in a little treat now and then.
It’s not about the scale, it’s about how I feel and trusting that it works, because it does!

1. Keep carbs between 20-30g net.
  2. Don’t sweat the protein. Eat as much fatty meat as necessary to feel satisfied.
  3. No sugar.
  4. Just try my best with artificial sweeteners. I’m a soda addict, giving up regular was hard and it feels giving up diet is an impossible endeavor. But baby steps.
  5. Eat when hungry. Don’t boredom eat.
  6. Your body dictates when it’s losing weight. Don’t put so much stock in the scale. Go by either the tape measure or by how clothes feel.
  7. Perfection is the enemy of progress. Carb Days will happen, just maintain damage control.

(MooBoom) #36
  1. Count carbs (keep them under 20g net daily) but don’t sweat protein or fat (just eat enough protein to maintain LBM, and fat to satiety)

Oh look- that’s my entire list! :laughing:

Some very nice information being posted here folks, thanks for sharing too. :slight_smile: … Goes to show just how different we all are, or how we go about this WOE/WOL. :+1:

Basically what mine has always been too, just kept carbs under 20 and didn’t think about anything else. Until I though about all this the other day that is, and it did take me a while to think of some other things to add though. :slight_smile: That’s why I wrote, ‘If I had to come up with 5’.

(Bunny) #38

…but Dave (Alvin & Chipmunks humor)

I have found through experimentation eating potato’s (resistant starch) only keeps me in ketosis and it feeds the gut bugs (microbiome) also, something you cannot do with fat and meat. A little butyrate from grass fed butter helps also.

Eating potato’s only for two weeks appears to deplete glycogen stores enough to burn body fat much faster than eating fat and meat alone because it is not turning into glucose but instead turning into short chained fatty acids.

Even if you don’t have multiple copies of the AMY1 gene it should still work because your not breaking down starch into glucose!

References:

[1] Effect of Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet on 12-Month Weight Loss in Overweight Adults and the Association With Genotype Pattern or Insulin Secretion The DIETFITS Randomized Clinical Trial February 20, 2018 …More

Key Points (from above citation):

Question: What is the effect of a healthy low-fat (HLF) diet vs a healthy low-carbohydrate (HLC) diet on weight change at 12 months and are these effects related to genotype pattern or insulin secretion?

Findings: In this randomized clinical trial among 609 overweight adults, weight change over 12 months was not significantly different for participants in the HLF diet group (−5.3 kg) vs the HLC diet group (−6.0 kg), and there was no significant diet-genotype interaction or diet-insulin interaction with 12-month weight loss.

Meaning: There was no significant difference in 12-month weight loss between the HLF and HLC diets, and neither genotype pattern nor baseline insulin secretion was associated with the dietary effects on weight loss. …More

My own personal rules and do not necessarily work for others, but worked well for me for a long time. Probably need an adjustment as things have been weird regarding weight loss recently, but that’s okay.

1. Carbs under 20g.
  2. Carbs, if any, ideally from food sources. Don’t drink carbs.
  3. Eat when hungry. Exception is when I’m trying to begin an extended fast and will push through it. I time things so that hunger should happen while I’m asleep.
  4. If I am fasting and past the obvious hunger at the start, and I start feeling hungry, stop the fast and eat.
  5. Avoid sweeteners (I know, a no-go for many, but works for me most of the time)
  6. Only eat things that are either whole foods, or you know what’s in them. People will tell you “it’s fine” and then you learn later there’s twelve pounds of sugar mixed in.
  7. If you’re going to eat carbs, make sure they’re not sugars or starches.
  8. No snacking.

(Bunny) #40

I like that one, why people come back saying “I have been doing keto for an X amount of months and can’t lose a pound… Hmmm?

If keto is not working, it could be some little tiny nuance like that?

Sometimes it is attributed to using too much MCT oil etc…