Do you feel different?

(What The Fast?!) #12

I used to use the breathalyzer but it broke and I’ve ordered two more since then but neither would turn on (oddly). I test via ketostix and via blood testing (sometimes). I get SUPER dark purple when fasting (on the ketostix) and my I usually only do the blood testing after a night out when I’m not sure if I’m in ketosis or not. I’m planning to do some more experimentation to see what kicks me out and what doesn’t.

I’m planning to join IDM - I’m having some issues with my FSA (flexible spending account) not being accepted, but hoping to work that out.

(Candy Lind) #13

@farmgirl has the right idea. I’m certain that hormones are a problem in my case. Thyroid is affected by lots of things, and it can slam the door on weight loss. And I’ve read stories about people being held back by sensitivity to dairy and nuts, just to name a couple of things. Maybe an “elimination” diet would be helpful. Pick something you eat/cook with regularly, stop using it for a couple of weeks, and see if anything changes. It certainly can’t hurt!

You talked about :poop: issues - do you take any kind of fiber? I am the same way unless I “OD” on magnesium or get 18-20 grams of fiber. And of course … water. I’m miserable this week because I haven’t drunk enough. 120 ounces is my minimum to feel decent. Sure, it’s common knowledge, but distractions & bad habits can get in the way of doing what’s best for our bodies. It’s hard to be consistent when you’re doing 10 things at once.

We’ve got your six, so KCKO!

(What The Fast?!) #14

I take LOADS of magnesium, take chia seeds when I’m eating, MCT oil (on eating day AND fasting days), etc. I have taken psyllium husk in the past but would prefer not to have to take that if I don’t have to. I went to a gastro doctor and she said “take Miralax…” :rolling_eyes:

I’ll think about eliminating stuff. I’ve gone with mostly no dairy and that didn’t make a difference. I’ve cut out coconut oil and MCT oil as well. I’ve had one of those food sensitivity tests done but literally every food was on it! I’ve noticed that my nose runs when I eat meat…which doesn’t bode well for me on keto, haha. But, I went vegan for like 3 months (before keto) and was left constantly bloated and gassy. I notice when I eat lots of vegetables, I get SUPER bloated, so I try and avoid heavy vegetable meals. Vegetables actually seem to exacerbate the :poop: issue for me.

(Lonnie Hedley) #15

Chia seeds give me explosive :poop: I’m told MCT oil can have the same effect. I’m lucky I don’t have issues with MCT. But two substances known to cause issues.

(What The Fast?!) #16

That’s what I’m hoping for, haha. I have the opposite problem.

(Candy Lind) #17

Everyone has different needs. Maybe yours are higher carbs. I had a roomie in college that had bran buds every morning without fail, even if she was eating something else, because she already knew at that tender age that she’d regret it if she didn’t. Unfortunately, I didn’t learn that lesson and I still have issues! :persevere:

(What The Fast?!) #18

Googling now…

(Candy Lind) #19

HA! Probably too high carb, and it is, after all, a cereal!

Have to think about this.

Pluses and Minuses

Weight loss but mostly through EF and I have been stalled since September and no loss of inches or size since November.
Usually satisfied with food, although lately have been seeking out carbier foods, or ones that feel carbier like Fat Head Pizza and Nooat cereal, not sure why.
Have more energy. Without question. I have Hashimotos and there were times were I felt exhausted all the time. Now I am still tired at times but it is not the same. I also want to exercise as times.
Calmer mood, rarely feel like I am getting depressed about something (I do not have depression but sometimes preKeto would feel blue). Sometimes I feel too calm, like I am on some type of tranquilizer which I never take and do not even have in the house but it is a feeling. Although I will still get carried away over nonsense such as someone stealing my parking spot. So still have a little temper flareup.
My stomach is much better but I had the opposite problem always and if I ate too much flour especially my stomach would be a mess. The one time I took a weekend off, I spent most of the second day in the bathroom. I still have times where it is a problem but it is not uncomfortable at all, more annoying. It seems to come in waves not sure why. I would also get heartburn which I rarely do anymore.
My sleep is a mix, I do find it easier to fall asleep, I can now stay asleep in the morning which I could do my whole life except on the first few months on keto. During EF still have some trouble sleeping.
Still feel cold quite a bit and I was always the one wearing short sleeves in the northeast winter. If I am eating enough I tend to be ok, when I forget to eat or IF then I am cold. I sleep with 2 blankets now instead of 1 although in the morning I am warm but not in the middle of the night. It is better when I overeat.

To say on balance I feel much better but have been a little frustrated at the slow weight loss (I am about halfway to where I want to be and even that would be high normal) but I think it is my lazy keto. I do think I may have IR but do not want to get it measured. Even during an EF my ketones barely register on either of my two cheap breathalyzers. I cheat with berries, nuts and cheese so perhaps that slows it as well

My mood is almost too calm which is weird and makes me think it is working

@KetoLikeaLady
Andrea, if you put together how you felt on a higher-carb WOE (fine) with your keto changes (improvement in allergies) plus of course the fact that your sugar and insulin levels indicate that you’re not at all IR, I wonder if you could do higher carb but without some of the things that you eliminated when you went keto. Something like: higher carb using starchy vegetables but not grains (or something like that… I came here from paleo/ancestral so that’s my bias, but there’s probably something that did help your overall health on keto and maybe it’s not the carb ratio per se).

(Karen) #22

Never have the buzz or energy. I feel a bit wakeful. That’s it.

K

(jilliangordona) #23

Just here in solidarity to say same. I’ve had some body composition changes but no weight loss like I should be seeing for how much weight I have to lose. I am also looking to get my hormones checked.

I experienced 1 “whoosh” of about 7 pounds a few months ago after I started supplanting vitamin D, starting taking metformin, and hadn’t my iud taken out. Too many things at once to really credit any of the above, but wanted to share.

Maybe your body is too used to what you’ve been doing? Challenge it.

How often do you feast? You know, eating to excess several days in a row? It could be your body is still holding on to the weight because it doesn’t experience much time with an abundance of calories.

This has tons of fiber and I have been really enjoying it lately

Continuing the discussion from Help me help my wife:

Maybe a paleo orientation?

Here is an interesting article on why certain diets work for certain people

I have noticed I have been getting a slightly runny nose which is not usual for me so I wonder if I am allergic to dairy or something else I have been eating lately.

(Alison) #26

Yes, this ^^^ Have you changed up the fasting & feasting, mixed things up? I just recently listened to Megan Ramos’ Obesity Code Podcast on stalls, and began ‘changing it up’ - forced myself to finally break up the routine of intermittent fasting and REALLY feast for several days in a row… it was terrifying, but it worked an busted through a stall + weight gain that I’d been dealing with for over a month.

Another thought, I know my Mom stalls and just maintains for months when she works out too much or too hard - she stresses her body during the workouts and releases cortisol, hence the stall.

I’m definitely not one of our more science minded engineering type brains, but these are the first two things that came to mind reading your post. I sure hope you can isolate the ‘issue’ and see the results you’re hoping for!

***I do feel different, but it’s been so long I’ve become accustomed to feeling ‘fine’. Keto has eliminated my allergies/asthma, full body aches/pain, swelling, lethargy, insomnia, and reversed my Pre or undiagnosed Type II Diabetes.

There are people who do not thrive on a HFLC diet. I know a couple of folks that this is true for. I personally don’t notice any changes in my energy level, sleep, or
mood despite being in a constant state of ketosis. But my physiology is measurably improving.

There are some LC advocates (ie. Dr Mercola, Dr Pompa) who believe that diet variation is not only necessary for optimal health, but that it can break weight loss stalls. This can come in the form of seasonal variation (ie. eating more carbs in the summer) or daily variation (ie. Pompa’s 5:1:1).

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #28

Oh holy hell.
I’m like a different person.
I had consistent cyclical depression for years. it’s been gone ever since starting keto 4 years ago. Keto gives me amazing energy. Before I reversed my diabetes I could barely make it up a flight of stairs. Keto allows me to rest properly. Before keto I would wake up exhausted. Keto is giving me control over my appetite. before I was hungry all the time.

You’re asking me if I have thoughts on feeling different?

I’m teaching what I learned to others and changing lives. I have hope and energy like I’ve never had before. Keto has given me the strength mentally emotionally and physically that I never dreamed possible.

Also, I love myself now. I like who I am and I’m happy with my body for the first time in my life.

Is that what you meant Andrea?

(What The Fast?!) #29

Yes, everything yes to this.

I feel lucky that I didn’t feel badly before eating carbs, but I also don’t feel a difference eating keto because of that. 10 months in and I’m looking for more tangible results. It’s reassuring that others have had similar experiences (@jilliangordona - thanks for that).

@steak and @allyfco I do feast - but I gain when I do. I mix up fasting on a weekly basis, I don’t have a consistent schedule. I’m going to try hard to feast this week and go as high fat as possible - olive oil on EVERYTHING and see if it makes a difference.

I also tried laying off workouts for awhile but that didn’t seem to help either. I’ve got two more months of KCKO in me. I’ll reasses at one year - and I do plan to experiment with adding some carbs as others suggested to see if I stay in ketosis or not.

(Zoe ) #30

Andrea, I love your posts and your photo is awesome. It sucks so much that you are not getting the results you want. I am a slowwww loser too. I do have insulin difficulties but keto has got that back into normalish range. You must be so frustrated. Is KCKO without watching the scale an option?? You could measure by tape, photograph and keep a mood diary?? Either way I love your contribution but if it ends up that you need more carb or something else not typically ‘keto’ that is cool. You do what you need for you!

More things that I realized from reading others.

I tended to get body aches and stiffness pre keto (early 50s) that I have been getting for years. While I would not say they are gone, I can bend and stretch. The only time I am stiff is getting up out of a chair or car and it lasts a few steps only. There have been other times when I was eating lots of flour where I could barely bend down. While I have not exercised a lot on keto, when I do I am not sore the next day and I should be because I do heavy weights by my standards.

My focus is not any different and I have noticed I have more trouble focusing at night (I am someone that likes to work at night) but can still do fine if I have a deadline.

Despite barely exercising over the last year I have noticed that I walk much faster, especially if I am in a hurry. Had to pick up something recently in a rush and had to park about 1/4 of a mile away. Which I realize is not far but I practically ran to get it, there and back and was not out of breath at all in either direction. I am normally a slow walker and usually have to ask H to slow down but no longer