Do medicine/supplements contain hidden carbs?

conversationstarters

(Mike D) #1

Do tablets and capsules contain hidden carbs? I fast everyday for 12 hours. Halfway through the day I take a few medications. Although this does not kick me out of Keto, I noticed a marked reduction in my Ketone numbers for a couple hours after consuming my medications. I suspect they are hiding starches in the pills to act as fillers and binders. Anyone else notice this?

Even with a carb based filler, I can’t imagine that the amount present in a pill would be enough to have any significant effect.

All medication (at least here in the UK) should have a full ingredient list for you to be able to check if you wanted to be sure.

Microcrystalline cellulose seems to be a common bulking agent. My Sertraline tablets also have sodium starch glycollate as a dissolution excipient.

(Mike D) #3

I am not educated on the various filler agents and which ones are carbs or sugars. I have better things to do with my time then figure out and classify each one of them, as the list is pretty substantial. I am hoping someone has already done this and I can just take their word for it. I prefer the lazy way on this subject.

nah it isn’t the pills themselves so don’t worry on ‘any hidden carbs’ in them.

it is what the medication you are taking is effecting your body, its’ functions and its’ processes etc. Medications will effect your body definitely. Diff. meds are going to do diff. things in your body to change your levels and functions, of course most meds are meant to do this to ‘help you’ of course and this is what meds do…they change ya inside thru forced chemical changes.

I say you are fine, don’t worry on those pills to the ‘carb level’ issue now.

take the meds as prescribed and don’t worry about a few ketone changes. IF ONE is lucky one can lower dose or get off meds on Keto Plan as you heal/repair and become healthier.

(Mike D) #5

Yeh, if Keto improved my joint pain I could eventually get off Tylenol, Diclofenac and Tramadol… Lowering my Prednisone use would go lightyears farther in helping my blood sugar more than anything.

yea I say always take the meds you need til the day ya don’t hopefully.

I take very few meds ever. I am one of those hate pills type people LOL but when I need one I sure take one!! I never deny myself OTC meds etc. when I need them but it takes tons of pain to get me to take them tho HA

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

If you discuss the effect of your medications on your serum glucose with your doctor and don’t feel you’re getting anywhere (it happens; doctors often don’t have time to research and keep up with all the possible drugs), you might do better talking to your pharmacist. He or she might know of better alternatives, which you could then suggest to your doctor.

They (can), but never enough to actually matter or to care about.

truly depends on the meds for each of us and who we are and what we are battling and I agree, might be ‘an issue’ if we can change up to ‘another med’ from Dr. chat on it all or if we just hold where we are after we have info and some confirmed effects on us personally.

so very individual on this one that we can’t even go there but PaulL had a smart way to chat up Dr regarding ones meds for sure. I know if I GOT put on meds thru real medical issues I would be one doing just that :slight_smile: yea I would be one of those pain in the arses patients that drive a Dr insane HA