Dismiss Notifications Button is Greyed Out?

(hottie turned hag) #1

Hey, this seems v odd.
The button that says “dismiss all” under my notifications is greyed out and does not respond. Any idea why? I dislike the notification list and prefer to dismiss them all, NOT turn them off, just delete them after reading.

Thanks!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Where is this occuring? Are you in your profile settings, or elsewhere?

(hottie turned hag) #3

Yep, profile. The notifications list is there, to its left the “dismiss” button, greyed out. When I hit it, nothing happens.

Actually not the profile page per se, it’s this page:https://www.ketogenicforums.com/u/blueviolet/notifications

(Allie) #4

I don’t think you can delete them from there, just dismiss so they no longer show as unread. If the button is greyed out that means you’ve already marked them all as read.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

I’m surprised you’re even getting notifications, because you appear to have turned them all off . . . :confused:

I think @Shortstuff has hit on the correct explanation. :+1:

(hottie turned hag) #6

I am getting them for sure. I just got one for your reply lol.
NOT email or browser notification; notifications on the site, i.e., a number appears by my avatar in upper R corner. When I click on avatar a list of notifications drops down.

When I go to the page linked above, I see them all, yes marked as read I guess but cannot delete them. If you can access the page, see if you can delete them as I can’t seem to, then report back :smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

The Dismiss function removes the highlighting from the notifications, it doesn’t actually delete them, which is what you might expect. However, this is not a bug; it is how the Discourse software is intended to work. If you don’t see any highlighting on a particular notification, it means you either visited the thread, or you told the software you don’t intend to.

ETA: With your notification settings, I would expect none of those items to ever be highlighted, so the Dismiss button quite naturally will have no further effect.

(hottie turned hag) #8

So there is no way to actually delete them? Nor badges etc? I’m such a minimalist freak, I like all that stuff deleted :open_mouth:
#ocdlyf

Edit: ok gotcha re: the not highlighted part.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

I can delete all your badges for you, but more will keep appearing as you (re-)earn them. Your philosophy and that of the Discourse programmers seem to be at variance here, sorry!

(hottie turned hag) #10

LMAO my minimalist freakiness is often “at variance” with all so no surprise there; I delete all emails and texts immediately. I loathe visual clutter.

If more shall keep appearing then I guess leave em all.

Thanks so much though! :purple_heart:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

YW! :grin:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #12

I have my preferences set to no emails at all. The only activity is here on the site. And yes, I have to click on all notifications even if for only a nanosecond so that it clears from my count.

Another tip is to manually set topics you no longer want to be notified about back to normal. Sometimes I tire of a thread but don’t feel like I need to mute it, so I just put it back to normal. They automatically set to tracking if you comment or if you read for more than 4 minutes. You can do this at the bottom of the topic. You can always manually set it back to tracking if you want.

#ocdrespect

(hottie turned hag) #13

:kissing_heart:
many thanks!

So. You’re saying you don’t want me to award you the “We don’t need no Steenkin’ Badges” badge? :smiling_imp:

(hottie turned hag) #15

I’m weak :smile:

A badge I earned, like for a brilliant post, say, sure!

But these badges are participation awards. Hate those.
“firt emoji badge” wtheck!

Most of those silly ones happen when you first join, then later they get more sensible.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #17

I have granted you a Meowking Friends badge, not because you have earned it by making friends via cat photos, but because I created* it and am therefore vain about it.

*I am not actually able to create badges, but it was my idea and Richard made it for me.

Hmmm… we might need a Poking the Bear badge now?

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #19

That sounds like a very useful badge.

(hottie turned hag) #20

@Ruina Sweet! I have seen the cat photos (randomly sprinkled in some threads), and they are good :cat: