Digestion seems fixed but I'm wondering why

(Chris Kornelsen) #1

Ok so after going to a low/moderate carb diet after 4 months keto 2 months carnivore it seems my digestion is back to normal, far more regular. I’m really confused as to why when looking at it from a keto lens. If anyone can point me to some answers I’d be very grateful.

1. Fibre is fibre why is it when I eat strictly veggies and high fat I’my irregular?
  2. From a keto lens fruit and grains are bad yet it seems the only true difference in both ways of eating is the fruit and grains. I. Having natura sourdough breads and some kiwifruit and pear…if these things are so bad why do they seem to work?
  3. Can the high fat constipate me and that’s why the diet just isnt working? My bowels movements on keto were never bad they were mostly 4 on the Bristol chart but they were very irregular and ended with IBS attacks.
  4. Moving forward if grains and fruits are the only way I can be regular what can I do for healyh? Fasting? Keto once a year for a couple months?

I know these questions may be complicated to answer as the world is just kinda starting to study low carb, I’m just super bummed keto didnt work for my digestion inreally enjoyed it. And going under 100g of carb I feel decently good but I’ll admit its FAR tougher to stay strong and away from bad food then it was on keto. Anyway thanks in advance for all the help

(Bob M) #2

The problem is that “keto” is really a meaningless term. One could eat dark meat chicken with skin, almonds, avocados, bacon, all high in PUFAs, and that’s keto. One could eat tons of dairy (sour cream, cheese, etc.) and that’s keto. One could eat meat + veggies and that’s keto. One could eat just meat, and that’s keto. One could eat tons of “fake” foods with sweeteners, and that’s keto.

So, you’d have to define what you mean by “keto”.

For me, a higher fat diet from animal fat in sausages, polish sausage, pepperoni, etc, seem to hurt my digestion. Meanwhile, nearly all regular (and low fat) meat, eggs, with some dairy sometimes (mainly blue cheese or other cheeses for k2, but sometimes sour cream, yogurt, other high fat dairy) and some veggies (some fermented, some not), seem OK for me. The veggies have to be “some”, as some/many cause me issues.

I personally try to avoid fruits. I definitely avoid grains. Grains definitely cause me issues.

(KCKO, KCFO) #3

There are two kinds of fiber. Soluable and insoluable. While I don’t agree with everything in the posting below, it does give a good description of the differences. The reason I don’t agree with it is for me personally, insoluable is the trouble maker, it does cause me constipation and hemorrhoids. This is not the case for everyone. Healthy fats keep me on track.

Re: fruits and grains: Some fruits are just fine on keto, like raspberries. All grains are not bad for everyone, for me wheat and other gluten grains are like taking a poison and I am not celiac, just intolerant of gluten. Check out the carb infographics on dietdoctor.com for possible fruits and grains you could add to your diet if you feel you must eat them. Maybe you would just do better with low carb, so @50 grams of carbs per day rather than strict 20 grams on keto. Both work, some do better with keto, others do better with low carb.

Good luck sorting yourself out.