Did you get the keto flu the second time

(Liz Ellen) #1

Hello people of keto,

After successfully staying on keto since the beginning of the year, I exited the wagon over Halloween and am getting back on today. During the last month, we’ve moved and my mother in law has moved in with us. I know I’ve gained back quite a few of the 50 I’d lost, but I’m unsure just how many (haven’t found the scale yet, lol). I’m still able to wear my smaller clothes, but some are pretty snug.

Anyway, I’m back on plan today (pepperoni wrapped mozzarella and celery to start; coconut curry and turkey soup for lunch). Question to those who have given this a second or third try (or more): did you experience similar symptoms going back on keto as the first time? Should I expect some sluggishness and weird carb dreams? Keto flu? If I was fat adapted, does that mean I can switch back more quickly?

I enjoyed my meanderings in carb land, but I am looking forward to feeling lean and clear again. Wish me luck!

Liz

I never experienced any problem, not the first time, not the second time, not the 10th time (just the 0th time when I quit before I could go into ketosis and stayed on my simple low-carb diet first). Except a slight dizzyness the first time but it was so subtle I’m not even sure it had anything to do with keto but probably my low sodium intake was the culprit, if it meets going into ketosis, that’s a tad strange but I wouldn’t call even that a problem. It affects many others way more though so get enough electrolytes.
It seems being fat adapted makes things more smoothly, I only felt ketosis the first time (I felt something, at least but it was around the time I went into ketosis), every other time was not noticeable, I need to depend on various very subtle signs and my carbs intake is a good hint too.
But it’s individual, who knows what will happen with you? Hopefully just good things.
I always feel better when I go into ketosis (and even before, right from the first day as my body prefers very low carb). It’s almost no change if I come from a good, low-carb just not keto diet and it heals me when I overdid carbs. Never any problem.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

Hi Liz, I would just make sure you’re on top of salt. If you got bad keto flu like I did the first time around it was probably low sodium. Now you know what to do this time. Good luck and welcome back. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Yeah, the keto “flu” is really just symptoms of low sodium, so it is completely avoidable. You might, however, experience some symptoms of re-adaptation to fat burning, depending on how far away you got in the first place. On the whole, however, you shouldn’t have too much trouble re-adapting.

(Jane) #5

You were only off keto a little over 4 weeks so I would think you will transition back to fat-burning pretty quick. Good luck!

(Liz Ellen) #6

Thanks! I’m on day 3 and am feeling good. It’s great to feel in control again. KCKO

(Matt ) #7

I’ve never had and issues with headaches or anything when I slip and have to go back into Ketosis, but I make sure I get enough sodium on a daily basis, which keeps them at bay. I slipped a little during Halloween also (Darn candy buckets everywhere I look). The biggest issue I found was that since I didn’t gain that much weight back, it was harder mentally to be as strict as I had been. I think I finally got over that hump though. Good Luck!

(Liz Ellen) #8

Thanks, Matt. I’m on day 4. Feeling good. No reentry issues. KCKO