Did my am meds cause my blood sugar to spike?

(Pam ) #1

Howdy all!

I hadn’t eating since 7pm last night, but took my morning medications when I got up at 6:15am. Decided to test my blood about 7:15am and my glucose was 134 and ketones were 1.8. Am I correct in thinking my meds caused my glucose to spike? Any thoughts, insights?

This is the first time I have tested in the morning and I am not a diabetic.

(Allie) #2

What meds are they and have you checked what additives they have?

(Pam ) #3

I haven’t checked what additives they have. Any idea where to check something like that?

The lopressor, synthroid, cardizem, flecanide, multi-vitamin (One a Day) and buspar.

(Bob M) #4

The way I’ve tested this in the past: take blood sugar every so often (15 minutes? 30 minutes?). Do this for a normal morning, where you take your drugs at a normal time. Take measurements for 2-4 hours after taking your drugs. Next, do the same thing, but delay taking your drugs for a while, If you normally take the drugs at 6am, delay them until 8am or 9am or 10am. Take blood sugar the entire morning, then 2-4 hours after.

Compare.

(Allie) #5

Should be on the info leaflet or on the box?

(Bob M) #6

Oops, I mean after taking the drugs at the delayed time.

The problem with the morning is that blood sugar goes up naturally, so you have to have a good sense of what that is, and then if the drugs cause any effect, it would on top of that. That’s why you delay, to see if the drugs really cause any effect.

(Pam ) #7

Thank you Bob, that makes sense. I will be doing that this weekend.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #8

Sounds more like Dawn Phenomenon @PSteinke1122

Just before waking around 4am, the body secretes higher levels of growth hormone, cortisol, glucagon, and adrenaline. Together these are called the counterregulatory hormones - they counter the blood sugar lowering effects of insulin, meaning that they raise blood sugar. It’s a hormonal surge to prepare your body for the day ahead. Glucagon tells the liver to start ushing some glucose. Adrenaline gives the body some energy. Growth hormone is involved in cell repair and the synthesis of new protein. Coritsol, the stress hormone, increases as a general activator. All of these hormones peak in the early morning hours and then fall to low levels during the day. Insulin also increases in the morning to make sure the blood glucose does not go too high. The same phenonemum is seen during fasting, insulin levels drop, but the hormones are still causing stored sugar to be released into the bloodstream, raising blood sugar levels. Hope that helps :slight_smile:

(Running from stupidity) #9

Yeah, you need a baseline reading without taking them or it’s impossible to tell, I’m afraid.