Did I kick myself out of ketosis?

(Robert) #1

I officially started Keto on 7-12-18 and started showing Ketones on the 14th. They have always registered between 4-8 and I knew this was normal until I get fat adapted. As of 2 days ago they were still hovering around 4 and had been for about 2 weeks. I have also only lost about 4lbs since the 12th which again, I knew would be the case since I had previously been on a low cal diet and already gone through the water loss.

Last night I did a bad thing. My coworker ordered from Pei Wei and I got the sesame chicken with mixed veggies instead of rice. About half way through regret hit me because its sweet and spicy, so I got in some sugars thanks to its sauce. Later that night I had an apple fritter. I work nights and this one donut shop near me makes the absolute best apple fritter and you can get them hot at 4 am. They are LEGEN…wait for it…DARY!

This is my first slip of any kind since April when I began my low cal diet. I could have done without the Pei Wei but that fritter was heavenly. The only good thing about it is it made me ill. I got nauseated and tired. It passed after a few hours and I am back eating a keto diet.

So I tested my ketones this morning and they were negative. I tested again tonight after sleeping and they register 1.5. So my question is, did the Pei Wei and fritter kill them off and kick me out of ketosis, or is it possible that despite the carb excursion I have finally gotten fat adapted? Is it possible to blow it with one meal?

Sweeteners - your experience?
(Kellie) #2

Are you using pee strips or a monitor to test ?

(Veronica Ragaglia) #3

Yes I think it is possible. I heard that depending on your metabolic condition and how sensitive you are to carbs and sugar etc, even one ice cream cone could kick some people out for 2 weeks…of course this doesn’t happen so drastically for everyone but I am sure a high carb or sugar meal would affect your ketones for some period of time, even if only a short time.

Sweeteners - your experience?
(Omar) #4

I keep discovering the hard way that it is so easy to terminate the production of ketones.

you are lucky to get back on track overnight. It takes me at least three days to get back on track.

ketosis is very unforgiving in my case having IBS. people maybe different in their recovery after getting derailed.

(Robert) #5

I apologize, I meant to include that. It is the pee strips.

(Robert) #6

So the next question would be does this also reset my becoming fat adapted? I honestly don’t know if I ever got to that point. I’m not going to give up, that much I know. I just don’t want to have unrealistic expectations of when to be back making progress. I did learn a lesson though. lol

(Omar) #7

I do not think so

if you are fat adopted you will not become unadopted like that. You can tell by the energy level.

(Terence Dean) #8

You’ve been on Keto roughly 4 weeks so its a little bit early to be fat adapted but keep going, if you stuff up, no biggies just pick yourself up and Keto on. Part of the experience is knowing what foods will kick you out of Ketosis, people have different carb tolerances, the 20g is just an arbitrary figure where most people can generate ketones if they can keep carbs down to that level. Yeah you can blow it with one meal, your ability to get back into ketosis depends on your body’s ability to use Ketones, so sabotaging that process just adds more delay but no big deal, it’ll happen when it happens.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

It is indeed possible that you are fat-adapted, at least partially, since one of the indications is metabolic flexibility. But do try to avoid sugary and starchy food, because they cause your insulin to spike, and a high insulin level prevents the formation of ketone bodies.

A bit of the science: even after your muscles are fully fat-adapted, you want to continue to produce ketone bodies, because the brain does really well getting its fuel in the form of β-hydroxybutyrate (apart from the glucose made by the liver for those brain cells that can’t burn anything but glucose). A lot of the well-being experienced by people who are fat-adapted comes from the brain’s preference for BOHB.

(Lonnie Hedley) #10

Everyone is different. Could take you a day, maybe a week. If you just go back to eating Keto you’ll get back into ketosis, but it’s hard for anyone else to give you an exact time.
The longer you are eating HFLC, the faster you’ll rebound. This was me Saturday night, and it should only take me a couple days.

(Robert) #11

Thanks for the responses. After the fritter I have been very strict Keto and my ketone test strips is is holding at about 1.5. The difference today is I feel fantastic and I have only had a couple of cheese sticks and coffee with heavy cream tonight. Now, I don’t want top read too much into that since this has happened before only to bottom out and go back to feeling lethargic in 30 minutes. I took new body fat percentage measurements today since I have only had a 1lb loss by the scale and was pleasantly surprised to see a 2" loss in the wasit and 1" loss in the hips, so something is going right. The fritter was insanely good but the weight loss is better.