(Diane) #24

6/12/2013 in SLC

Sprouts
Lily’s chocolate bars on sale at @ 2 for $5
Lily’s chocolate chips @ $4.99 per bag
Strawberries $0.98 for 16 oz
Blueberries $0.98 for 6 oz

(traci simpson) #25

This still has 10 total grams of carbs per serving. I’m counting all carbs not just net carbs.

(B Creighton) #26

I no longer go for the cheapest food. I go for quality, but I still am price conscious. BTW I live in Utah Co, so shop at most of your same stores.

I now try to get pastured eggs. Trader Joes’ is generally cheapest for this.

Cheese is a living, fermented food. So, no, it does not freese well. Many cheeses do keep in the fridge well for a long time ie like cheddar. I get my cheeses when on a digital sale at Smith’s or sometimes at Costco. However, I now get a specialty goat cheese at Trader Joe’s that I use for dessert - it does have a little added sugar to the blueberry coating.

I’ve told several friends about the benefits of goat yogurt, and told them I get it at Trader Joe’s, and now they stock more - hopefully I encouraged the store to keep it in stock. However, I am now making my own from a local source, and in the winter, will probably use raw A2 whole milk from another local dairy to make my own yogurt. Even at $12/gal for the goat dairy, it is cheaper than the $11 per 1/2 gal, you will pay at the store or more. Trader Joe’s was the cheapest I found locally. My goat yogurt is full fat, and has 2X the MCT fat as cow yogurt - also no A1 casein.

Breyers got bought by a European company - I think Unilever - and the quality definitely went down from the natural ingredients it used to have when I was young. If I’m going to eat junk food, I can get Ice Cream quite cheaply at Smith’s. I like their Butter Pecan ice cream - but yeah - it’s full of gums.

Smith’s - I acually like their produce better than the local “Independent Foods” stores like Macey’s. I also find most of their organic foods to be reasonably priced, and buy their Simple Truth organic beans, mustard, etc. Their organic celery for instance is cheaper, than my other local sources.
I typically spend $30-$80/wk at Smith’s where I get most of my staple groceries including wild shrimp. Sometimes, I get wild shrimp at Winco’s or Trader Joe’s.

Costco - I get a kale salad here. I also get their air-free packaged salmon at times. I get either Adam’s PB or Costco’s organic PB. I get my raw pecans and almonds here. Pistachios either here or at Smith’s on sale and with a coupon.

Walmart - Just hasn’t won me over with their groceries. I go here occasionally for things like their organic coconut, and a few other foods. I much prefer shopping at Smith’s, Costco, and Trader Joe’s.

Total weekly budget is probably no more than $100. That is darn good compared to what I hear from other people. However, my wife does buy some things on her own. Anyway, the “cheap” processed foods don’t seem so cheap based on what people are paying by the time they fill up their carts with the stuff - and then have to pay for prescriptions as a result too. Healthy whole foods are satiating, and don’t require one to eat as much or as often is what I’ve found.