Death, tragedies and realigning with ideals

(Carolyn aka stokies) #1

So I have been quiet these past few weeks due to a few factors. 4 people have died in 3 weeks. One was a mentor of sorts for me. Each of these deaths could have been averted, delayed or avoided had they each had a chance to take better care of themselves.

To remind myself that there are still things I enjoy in my life that these won’t be able to pursue again, I faced the chilly spring day and put my butt back in my bike saddle. I was nervous about heading out for a ride after losing now 88 pounds. Would I need to adjust my bike? Would I lose power on hills? Would I have zero stamina since didn’t get to train over the winter?

Stupid voices in my head. Even if ALL those worries came to pass, at least I had a bike and the chance to get on it again. Being on my bike is a happy place for me- meditative, competitive, and all around joy for me, depending on my mood. To be out in the fresh air, sunshine and pedalling among snow, animals and mutual nature lovers brought me back to my zen.

(And if you are curious - I was super quick, lost no power and hills that were challenging last year were merely mildly inconvenient… leading to a sense of empowerment I’ve missed these past few weeks.)

To read of the Berry’s clinic burning down and seeing how much I am grateful for in light of so many losses, I was bound and determined to find a way to support their recovery. Due to him, @richard, @carl, @CarrieBrown and others, I was supported in a way no one else could understand at a precarious point in my life. It is the least I can do to support all of these in my small way. If it weren’t for them, I could have succumbed to a variety of health challenges instead of biking for causes I love, for countless miles.

Thankful for my fortunes, both missed and lucky. It led me to being here, healthier, happier and full of gratitude for this community. You were there when I was in need, and now I get to pay it forward. I now have had 6 more people ask about my ways of weight loss, and linked them to all my resources I have learned from you all.

Love n light to you all!

(Omar) #2

nice

it is healing to be possitive and appreciative

(Richard Morris) #3

Me too. Moving meditation.

Thanks for paying it forward. <3

(Carl Keller) #4

@stokiesgoneketo I’m truly sorry to hear about the losses in your life but I am inspired by your progress and dedication to be healthy again. :smiley:

If everyone can help improve the life of just one other person, this world would be a much better place. 6+ people puts you on a path toward sainthood in my book. :wink:

(Carolyn aka stokies) #5

Or penance of some sort for past transgressions lol :smirk: :metal:

(Carrie Brown) #6

Thank you for paying it forward with all you are doing for others! You are an inspiration!