Dear know-it-alls, you were right!

(Robin) #1

All of my early issues (which I may or may not have whined about on here) cleared up when I started eating more! I wasn’t eating enough calories… way under 1000, without even subtracting exercise. So… like ya’ll said (stop rolling your eyes), my body was hoarding every calorie I gave it. I have now doubled the amount of food (maintaining proper keto ratios, etc) and my scales suddenly started moving. And, oh yeah… thanks.
Sincerely,
Slow Learner in Kansas

(Tracy) #2

It’s not your fault. We’ve been taught to starve ourselves if we want to lose weight.

(Robin) #3

You’re right! The crazy thing is that now I have to remind myself to eat! I eat when I should and then I do enjoy it, but food is not on my mind all day long. It’s a new day, for sure.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

You might start finding yourself skipping meals, because you simply aren’t hungry. That’s okay, as long as when you eat, you eat!

Congrats on finding that, now that you see how our metabolisms respond you may want to officially adapt to a reverse diet and have a structured progression to get your metabolic rate back up as you go. Takes a while, but absolutely works.

(Robin) #6

Ifod14, can you explain that… reverse diet and structured progression?
I already do the 18/6 Intermittent fasting, one big meal for lunch, less for dinner… usually filling in any gaps I see, so that my ratio, numbers, grams, etc all line up like soldiers. No… not obsessive at all. (Wink)

(Robin) #7

I have found myself forgetting a meal, but I take a quick look and see if I can afford to not eat, the answer is usually no, I need some more calories, fat, whatever. So I fry up some greasy meaty goodness and dig in. But I am trying to be more attentive so I’m not eating at 11pm! Hah. Hasn’t happened yet, but ya know…

Oh familiar… Hopefully it will get solved, I have this temporarily myself and I really don’t have options if I want to do it quite naturally, not eating when really satiated but eating when hungry… You even have the extra calories you aren’t used to yet but I expect this to change especially if you do timing, food choices and everything else that may matter to you right. I undereat if I use the most satiating items I can, it’s useful to add others. And it’s useful being a bit flexible too, not wanting to meet all the numbers all the time. We have less and more hunger on different days, it’s normal. Keep avoiding very low-cal days and if you know you need more meat and it’s fine to you, eat but eating a bit less when you are too full to comfortably eat more, it seems natural to me. It’s not so easy when our hunger/satiation and needs aren’t in agreement, I always change my woe or timing a bit then to be able to eat enough naturally.

It’s a progressive caloric increase, typically 50-100wk to get your metabolic rate up. I destroyed my RMR with lots of fasting not eating if I wasn’t hungry and that’s how I got it back up. Many do the same thing with low calorie eating for extended periods of time. Bunch of how-to’s and tutorials on youtube about it. Takes some playing around with it but it works.

(Marianne) #10

Amazing, isn’t it? I had never experienced that feeling before keto.

(Kirk Wolak) #11

Robin,
THANK YOU for sharing this.

First, it takes courage to admit you were the one who had to change.
Second, it LEAVES FOOTPRINTS for others to follow, which I consider the entire purpose of these things.

I like to imagine 1,000 years from now, young kids asking “Siri, summarize crazy things people have learned about losing weight throughout history, use blogs, etc…”

And: “Eating too little WILL lower your metabolism, and causes XXXX” spits out…
“Siri, summarize some of the stories for me…”

You get the picture…

And MAYBE Some Newb will come on and search and read this… (But I doubt it, apparently it is easier to ask the same question than to click the search button… LOL)

(Robin) #12

First of all, you had me at Captain Kirk! If there is any way to use a relevant reference to anything Star Trek, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and the ever elusive Andy Griffith quote, I am on your team. So, Happy to share. As long as this serves as a record for the future (looking back) to find this information, the prime directive is intact.

(Marianne) #13

Haha!

Let’s not forget The Godfather. Everything can be found in The Godfather. :rofl:

(Robin) #14

How could I forget?!

(Albert Lotito) #15

Thanks,
Your note is encouraging.
I have been eating keto for about 8 weeks and my weight is pretty unchanged. My glucose is down and I feel good but the scale is stubbornly imobile.
Maybe I should, counter-intuitively, increase my calorie intake.

Thanks,
Albert

(Robin) #16

Question… are your clothes telling you that you have lost inches? That does happen, without the scales showing any change.