Day in the life of...what is a typical days eating and drinking for you folks?

(Ray) #1

I’m interested in knowing what you guys eat typically in a day? Might spur me on

Most of my meals since starting Keto in January have been from Kyndra Holley’s 30 minute Ketogenic Cooking book. I think all her recipes in that book are under 7 carbs per serving. It’s really easy to cook and then have leftovers for a few days. Some of her recipes include cheesy salsa verde chicken casserole, sausage meatballs, Parmesan chicken, and such.

I will also make egg muffins with various ingredients - bacon, sausage, cheese - whatever I can add. I have a 24 muffin pan so these will last me a while as well.
I have also found a super simple pancake recipe - eggs, cream cheese and almond flour - the recipe will make about 20 small pancakes at 1 carb each. 1 or 2 egg muffins and 1-2 pancakes make a pretty filling breakfast for me.

I do a lot of searching on Pinterest to find recipes, but I have learned to really analyze the ingredients and their amounts when they claim they are Keto. I tried a Pinterest cheesecake and failed, but also tried a cheesy garlic asparagus recipe and it was amazing!

I don’t have a set routine, and I am a foodie, so I can’t stick with the same food, I need variety. If I am hungry in the morning (all the time when I got started,) I eat like 3 eggs easy over or scrambled with cheese or whatever comes to mind, and a few strips of bacon or sausage patties or both. Sometimes I eat chaffles and dip them in egg yolks. (search chaffles, there are a ton of quick, easy recipes and they are wonderful!) I make sure I drizzle some fat from the bacon or sausage or butter over my breakfast.

When I started I would eat 3 meals easily, now I am usually sated from a breakfast like that and forget about lunch, but I don’t force that. Or I don’t feel like having Breakfast but eat a big lunch. For lunch I might have a chaffle sandwich with ham and cheese, or tuna and mayo, or a couple of lettuce wraps with the above, sometimes chicken salad or whatever meat is left over from the last dinner with mayo and pickles or such.

Dinner might be steak or hamburger patties or chicken or salmon or whatever meat, and a couple of different veggies like cauliflower or asparagus (my favorite) or what not. Any meal may have cheese melted on top, or a butter sauce or gravy.

If I have a snack it could be sardines or kippers or chaffles with cheese as a melted cheese sandwich…

I find the more fat I eat, the more satisfied I feel and the less often I eat. But I love every meal, and my only rule is to stay under 20 carbs. Most of the time I adhere to that, sometimes it’s only 10, sometimes it’s 30.

Keto is a guide, not a rule book, and you will find as many ways to do it as there are people to talk to. Some like to count everything, some like to measure everything, some are carnivore, some use a lot of Keto friendly stuff. It all works. I have lost some 80 pounds doing the above, and counting.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

Starting with the below entry, I logged my daily meals and summaries for a two week period. That will give you very good overview of what I eat. The daily glucose plots illustrate the effects on glucose from those meals.

It changed a lot lately but I always mostly ate eggs on keto. I had plants with it before (40g net carbs because I could afford it and I couldn’t possibly go lower) and now I have some meat and a little cheese (but that was present before too), 5-20g net carbs as I have little amounts of other things as well. If it’s not a little amount, I overdid sour/heavy cream again…
I eat in the afternoon, once or twice. If twice, my first meal (usually a late lunch) is the way bigger one. If I mess up things, I eat at night too but that’s small.

Today I ate eggs (deviled and mixed with boiled tendons - or whatever that thing is around beef ribs - and made into some fried flatbread thing. it fulfills the role of bread, I can spread my butter and Marmite on it and it’s surprisingly good. yeah, eggs make everything better), a guineafowl thigh, some smoked pork, coffee with heavy cream and tiny amounts of various totally not keto-friendly stuff because I wanted and I could. Average net carbs is what matters to me the most but I try to be careful with lactose as my body isn’t into them, it feels. No real problem just a tiny nudge. And anyway, if it’s sugar, it’s usually not a good news. But a small amount is fine.
I bought so much cheese today (and I had meat today) that I skipped cheese now. But they are usually present in their usual tiny amounts, on my scrambled eggs or alone. I eat lots of scrambled eggs, it’s my default dish. But I do various things using eggs, it’s a very flexible ingredient.
My recipes became ridiculously easy. If I have meat, I don’t need complicated stuff. I just fry some eggs and cut off some pork and cheese to eat, it is already fine for a meal but I always liked to play with food so it’s often a bit more complicated. But only if I am in the mood, it’s not required. It’s a relief, I like simple (that I can complicate if I want).

Yesterday I had barely any meat so I ate mostly eggs and some cheese, it was dinner after a 50 hour fast.

My fat:protein ratio varies. I started with 1:1 when I tried out carnivore and I can reach 2:1 if I try but I am typically in between. It seems it doesn’t matter to me what my ratio is as long as my added fat (and sour/heavy cream) is minimal, both protein and fat packed together with protein satiates me. Overdoing (= not minimalizing it) added fat or sour/heavy cream is a sure way to overeat in my case, even massive overeating isn’t a big challenge then, probably especially if I use a bigger number of meals.
But it’s just me, it’s different for everyone.

(Ray) #6

Sorry folks I asked a question and went into hibernation.what with lockdown etc things have been somewhat different. I am just catching up with all of these replies.

I have also struggled the last month or so and simply not tried enough. I have let many carbs creep back in and have been consuming copious amounts of milk. My weight has increased by half a stone and I feel like xxxx. Just completely lost the momentum. I initially lost 1 stone 5 pounds.

I was sort of fasting throughout the day but having cream and butter in my coffee and maybe 4 to 5 big cups. A lot of cream and butter. Stomach like a balloon just now

:sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy: