Dairy issues

(Mark Nicholson) #1

My spouse and I have both had the following interesting experience since starting keto recently and wanted to find out others experiences and ideas relating to this. Both of us were pretty dairy intolerant, me more so to the point where if I would eat cheese in the morning I would wake up that night chocking on my own phlegm. So we avoided dairy except in small amounts and infrequent occasions. Since going keto though we are eating a lot more dairy but are NOT having the old reactions. We are not getting phlegmy and congested and are now wondering if it was the combination of carbs and dairy (and not dairy alone) that caused our issues. Has anyone else had similar experiences or does anyone have knowledge of why one is more dairy tolerant when eating keto?

BTW, we were pretty much cooked vegan before going keto and are still trying to base our diets around veggies and healthy fats with occasional animal products.

Thanks!
Mark

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

The carbohydrate could have been relevant, but more in the sense that high insulin causes inflammation and stimulates autoimmune reactions. It may be that with that removed from the picture, your dairy tolerance is higher. I still wouldn’t go hog-wild, however.

(Carl Keller) #3

I’ve found an article to echoes what Paul is saying. It’s amazing how often we place blame on fat or salt or dairy etc… when it’s really [insert food item] in conjunction with carbs that causes problems.

Often the issue is really with the carbs, not dairy.

So once you eliminate and drastically cut down most of your carbs, you won’t be as affected by the small amount of lactose you’ll find in cheese or heavy whipping cream.

https://perfectketo.com/keto-dairy/

Welcome to the forum Mark.

(Troy) #4

Thanks for the link
Yes. So true
For me, it’s a NSV!
Who knew🙄