Curious new low GI sugar replacement

(Dustin Cade) #1

I ran across this article, now I doubt it’s going to change anything for keto but interesting none the less.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/companies/perth-biotech-creates-worlds-first-lowgi-sugar-using-natural-ingredients/news-story/fdb35be52a0c6f33fbfae0639bdbda8c

That link just gives me a subscription page. Can you give details on the name of the product?

(Dustin Cade) #3

I don’t think it’s a product just yet, still in the development stage.

(Richard Morris) #4

I suspect they are serial stock manipulators - they did the same thing last January announcing a miracle ingredient you can add to sour dough bread to reduce its’ glycemic index.

https://thewest.com.au/technology/science/holista-gets-kicked-from-low-gi-sugar-patent-ng-b88348253z

Sounds suspiciously like that isomaltulose we were talking about the other day…?

(Dustin Cade) #6

I think all of this stuff is incredibly fascinating, even if it doesn’t impact my diet directly, it’s still cool to see what is being worked on.

(paddy0761) #7

At the risk of being labelled a “flat Earther”, I’m not interested in “FrankenFood”. I think the more we put this particular bus in reverse, the better. Just eat real food.
At the end of the day, all carbs get converted to simple sugars, do they not? Does this mean that low GI foods actually keep insulin elevated longer than high GI foods? Does this mean that low GI foods negate the benefits of time restricted feeding by extending elevated insulin levels?
Enquiring minds would like to know.

(Dustin Cade) #8

I agree, I try to avoid all artifical sugars/sweeteners as much as I can… but it’s still fascinating.

I would say that if they are low GI because they just digest slowly, then the net effect for someone battling insulin resistance would be to worsen it, for a similar reason that IF helps it.
If it’s low GI because it just doesn’t contain as much glucose per serving, then it might be less bad than sugar, but more bad than no sugar.

(Larry Lustig) #10

Is that serial stock manipulation or cereal stock manipulation?

(Ross Daniel) #11

cereal killers…

(Karen Parrott) #12

Peter Attia was on the Jocko Willink Podcast # 56 this last week talking about a sweetener that supposedly did not raise blood glucose ( he was wearing a continuous monitor) and was testing that new product from The developer.

I steer clear and use the natural sweet in small amounts of in season root veggies, and berries be my sweet. Very small amounts but retraining my taste buds was key.

(paddy0761) #13

I love the science, but I think we can be seduced by it. The older I get, the more I come to realise, that keeping “it” as natural as possible probably works best for most people.